Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:45 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,585,808 times

Advertisements

The palmetto bugs are big, but not as huge as you have been told. Before I moved here I thought they would be everywhere and I wouldn't be able to leave anything out on my counter. We have monthly spraying inside, and we don't have a problem with them. It did take me about a year or so until I wasn't totally freaked out by them. Now, if one gets in the house I spray it with hairspray so it drops to the floor, then I beat it with a broom and sweep it outside. We did have one month last year where I had several in the house. We found places where they could be getting in and sealed it up. They do flatten out and go under doors. I watched it happen once. I also let one in one time when I opened the back door. I wasn't too happy about that.

The palmetto bugs seem to be the only real pesky bugs. I live in Mt. P, so I don't have any problems with mosquitoes. Charleston County is always spraying by plane and they have people on the ground spraying in the wet areas.

I do see a lot of black widows, but I look for them. You probably wouldn't even notice them. They like to set up under my patio table at night, so I always check before sitting there. I will spray them with home defense if they are there. I also had one plus 3 eggs filled with babies in my trash container. I sprayed the black widow and knocked the egg sacs into the container so they would dump out on trash day. I kind of like the black widows. I think they are cool looking. If you don't bother them, they won't bother you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 01:42 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,955,643 times
I used to be an explorer of sorts when in my teens, one time while perusing the city, we found a way underneath the elevated part of the battery. So, being curious we grabbed some flashlights and went for a look. What we found was a swarm of probably 100 million palmetto bugs. The entire place was literally crawling. The ground, walls, and ceiling was coated in Palmetto Bugs, after that, I did't have a fear of them anymore. I have become numb to their ways. lol.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:50 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j-qtpaU5Ts#t=11

Here ya go... when I lived in Dallas the cockroaches out there were HUGE!

Old 07-04-2014, 06:36 PM

7 posts, read 6,178 times
The west is completely different than the south. South Carolina is the south in a weird way. The roaches are large but what bothers me the most are the bugs that bite. I have to wear bug spray anytime I go outside. I moved to Charleston Sc as of April from Colorado. I love the ocean but the city is very small and non diverse. They are behind in public transit. It is not a bike friendly city. The people however are very nice and easy to love. The best school for children are in mount pleasant or the private schools. I moved here for a culture shock and that is what I got. Its very humid and hot, lots of bugs, and terrible traffic. It is faster for me to ride my bike to work than to drive. Riding my bike is very intense because there are few bike paths. I was a bit appalled to see racism is alive and well here. I have to say I regret moving here every now and then. The cost of living is expensive compared to Denver. If you dont mind sweating all the time and having bug bites all over even when you put bug spray on then this is the place to be!

Old 07-04-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleRanae83 View Post
The west is completely different than the south. South Carolina is the south in a weird way. The roaches are large but what bothers me the most are the bugs that bite. I have to wear bug spray anytime I go outside. I moved to Charleston Sc as of April from Colorado. I love the ocean but the city is very small and non diverse. They are behind in public transit. It is not a bike friendly city. The people however are very nice and easy to love. The best school for children are in mount pleasant or the private schools. I moved here for a culture shock and that is what I got. Its very humid and hot, lots of bugs, and terrible traffic. It is faster for me to ride my bike to work than to drive. Riding my bike is very intense because there are few bike paths. I was a bit appalled to see racism is alive and well here. I have to say I regret moving here every now and then. The cost of living is expensive compared to Denver. If you dont mind sweating all the time and having bug bites all over even when you put bug spray on then this is the place to be!
If you've ever been to Aspen or Vale, you will find that racism is in Colorado as well. In fact, it's in just about every town in America...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area