Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:01 PM

5 posts, read 17,215 times

Advertisements

Ok, so all I keep hearing about is how North Charleston is such a bad place to live, crime rate, ghetto, the list just goes on and on. What is wrong with all these people? Crime for 1 is EVERYWHERE, I dont care where you live anyone can get to you and commit a crime if they really wanted to. I just moved to NORTH CHARLESTON from Pittsburgh and if you guys honestly think this area is so bad, please take a visit to Pittsburgh and to some of the city projects up there, then you will see the real "ghetto". Now dont get me wrong, I am not saying North Charleston doesnt have its bad areas because I saw and herd about alot of bad places around here but the entire area as a whole is not bad. Its not like every single street is hood, there are plenty of middle class working people who live around here. I just want to get other LOCAL peoples insight about the area, not people who drove through one bad part and never seen ghetto in their life and now think the entire city is bad, people who actually live in and around North Charleston that can say something good for once. I am off of the greenridge road area and I must say some of these rental places are just as nice as any other area around Charleston I was looking at. Thank you for all insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 11:09 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
I get what you're saying. I've been in the "ghettos" of Pitts, Philly, Rochester, and Baltimore, but I agree: not all of what can be considered North Charleston is ghetto. There are plenty of good neighborhoods, close to Goose Creek/Hanahan/Ladson (like Greenridge) or even Wescott, McKewn, Coosaw. I wish I knew this about North Charleston before moving here. Now I know.

Plus a lot of people here live in Mt.P. or DI or lived in some priviledged life in some equivalent suburban town. I absolutely love Mt.P., but most MtP residents would certainly lock their doors immediately driving down Spruill every time no question. I grew up seeing fights on the streets, seeing middle school classmates throw D batteries at the bus driver, and being a few blocks down from the occasional murder in the neighborhood. It's all relative.

I definitely get what you're saying, but it doesn't take away from the point that those passing out advice here, still want to give the best advice possible and see to it that those moving here move into the best area they can possibly accept. Can't blame anyone for that.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 05-15-2014 at 12:05 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 04:37 AM

662 posts, read 1,410,709 times
No one should make such blanket statements about any area. They all have their rough spots.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:10 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
The problems that tend to come with dense populations like crime, traffic, pollution, etc are usually going to be much worse in the bigger cities than in Charleston. North Charleston has some of the worst crime statistics of the local Charleston communities and the fact that it's still safer than much of what you'll find in big cities says something for crime overall in Charleston. It's all relative but you're right, there's plenty of decent areas to live in North Charleston.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:17 AM

259 posts, read 453,989 times
Its just a fact that N.Chuck had a violent crime problem for yrs.
The city was routinely ranked in the top 10 most dangerous cities.

That was several yrs ago though, its much better these days. There
are still rough parts but also many nice working and middle class
neighborhoods.

Plus, I have found the socioeconomic diversity appealing, the vibe is
more laid back and you are not judged by the car you drive
or labels you wear. ( some mt p'rs, daniel islanders cough cough,know
from exp)

There is just as much domestic violence and drugs in "nice" neighborhoods
folks with money can just hide it better.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:29 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times
North Chas has a past that was much worse than what it is today. NC should be very proud of the progress that city has made. When the Navy base was active, there was a lot of development, and when the base closed in the 80's, the area just went down the drain with all the business that left as a result. Crime soared of course. And the city got that reputation for a long time. But, they've really done a great job cleaning it up. The NC Police Dept is very proactive and has done a great job. Business development like Boeing, Tanger and the Coliseum, and all the new hotels around them, have bolstered the city. The founding and growth of the college, Charleston Southern, has helped that area of town.

Its been a slow steady process, but the city has really grown and made positive strides.

However, that stuff often happens far before reputation will change. Its no different than how Mount Pleasant has a reputation of having no crime at all....when in reality, as that city has grown, it's crime has gone up and is seen clearly in the crime stats that now include murders, armed robberies, rapes...stuff that didn't happen in Mt P for decades. Still a very safe town...but, the reputation precedes the facts. Just like North Charleston.

If you don't sell drugs, don't go out drinking at shady bars late at night, and dont walk around the South end of North Charleston alone at dark with gold chains and cash hanging out your pocket......then you'll probably be just fine.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:08 PM

73 posts, read 129,421 times
Just like in any other city, if you aren't involved in the drug trade and/or you don't go looking for trouble in neighborhoods you don't belong in, you will be just fine. North Charleston is no exception.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:57 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,261 times
North Charleston still has the most crime in the Charleston Metro. Also there are a lot of run down areas, a lot of old factories and run down chain linked fence areas. The roads are horrible and a lot of litter. A lot of prostitutes, and poverty (but you pay one of the highest property tax rates, which doesn't make sense)

Old 05-15-2014, 06:41 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
North Charleston still has the most crime in the Charleston Metro.
Thank you for saying what a lot of people are thinking but afraid to say.

Is North Charleston Pittsburgh? No. Is North Charleston the same as downtown Detroit? Of course not. But does it have one of the highest violent crime rates in the state of South Carolina? Absolutely.

We can talk about practicing common sense and avoiding situations we shouldn't be in until our faces are blue. But the truth of the matter is that, statistically speaking, you are far more likely to be a victim of a violent crime in N. Chas than you are in other areas of Charleston. It is an ugly, undeniable fact, and it's one of the many reasons why I don't live there anymore.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:46 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Thank you for saying what a lot of people are thinking but afraid to say.

Is North Charleston Pittsburgh? No. Is North Charleston the same as downtown Detroit? Of course not. But does it have one of the highest violent crime rates in the state of South Carolina? Absolutely.

We can talk about practicing common sense and avoiding situations we shouldn't be in until our faces are blue. But the truth of the matter is that, statistically speaking, you are far more likely to be a victim of a violent crime in N. Chas than you are in other areas of Charleston. It is an ugly, undeniable fact, and it's one of the many reasons why I don't live there anymore.
But in certain sections of it. There are places around Wescott that are still considered North Charleston and are just plain fine and dandy. So I think that's what the OP was getting at. It's almost like there is Park Circle, North Charleston, and Coosaw-Wescott.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area