Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 10:31 PM

18 posts, read 37,124 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am considering a move to Charleston. I have heard a few horror stories about Hurricane Hugo - I was just wondering what types of impacts any tropical storms/hurricanes have had on the area since then. I am particularly interested in the downtown Charleston and Mount Pleasant areas.

Specifically:

1) Have there been any evacuations of downtown/Mt. P since Hugo?

2) Have there been extended power outages for either area since Hugo?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
There's been a couple of tropical storms/cat 1 storms. Impact was minimal. The usual places flooded and the ones that don't flood didn't. No one evacuates for a tropical storm or Cat 1 unless you live in an RV or rickety trailer. Shoot, I was once on a vacation in a beachfront house and we got a Cat 1. Had a nice dinner in that night and that was about the only impact.

Power outages - maybe a couple of days tops but really most people don't lose power for a significant time during those small storms.

Evacuations - Floyd came close, evacuations commenced. It was a mess but honestly, any large scale evacuation is a mess. Since then, the state has changed some policies (e.g. reversing traffic on 26) which should help if it happens again.

Hugo was big, yes, but also unusual. This area just does not see many hurricanes. Buy some great insurance, clear out when you need to, and if the worst happens (e.g. another Hugo), remember it's just stuff. It's the risk of living in a coastal environment but you have to decide if the benefit outweighs the small chance of a major hurricane.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:53 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
During high tide, due to being below sea-level, there are parts of Charleston that flood in a light to moderate rain, it's been this way since I moved here in the 70's and I feel it will always be that way. Hurricane Hugo was by far the worst disaster I've experienced (even having a tornado fly over the house in Texas) and it caused wide-spread destruction, but even with that being said, there were only like 4 deaths if I remember correctly. The big ones can certainly cause a ton of destruction. That whole winter after Hugo hit was spent in my neighborhood, with a chainsaw in my hand, cutting trees up for folks. It was a special time, everyone had a real sense of community and loving your neighbor. We all shared food, water, etc and were quick to give our neighbors rides or help them with a tree on their home etc.

What Hugo did to the coast of SC was terrible, but, the times just afterwards were beautiful and I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:56 AM

12,914 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
During high tide, due to being below sea-level, there are parts of Charleston that flood in a light to moderate rain, it's been this way since I moved here in the 70's and I feel it will always be that way. Hurricane Hugo was by far the worst disaster I've experienced (even having a tornado fly over the house in Texas) and it caused wide-spread destruction, but even with that being said, there were only like 4 deaths if I remember correctly. The big ones can certainly cause a ton of destruction. That whole winter after Hugo hit was spent in my neighborhood, with a chainsaw in my hand, cutting trees up for folks. It was a special time, everyone had a real sense of community and loving your neighbor. We all shared food, water, etc and were quick to give our neighbors rides or help them with a tree on their home etc.

What Hugo did to the coast of SC was terrible, but, the times just afterwards were beautiful and I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything.
Look for the flooding to get worse.

Report: Rising seas threaten Charleston's Historic District, other national landmarks – The Post and Courier

Venice of the South?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:14 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Considering the source "Unions of Concerned Scientists", I'd say I'll still sleep easy at night knowing my home will be dry.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 AM

82 posts, read 119,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiteConfused View Post
Hi folks,

I am considering a move to Charleston. I have heard a few horror stories about Hurricane Hugo - I was just wondering what types of impacts any tropical storms/hurricanes have had on the area since then. I am particularly interested in the downtown Charleston and Mount Pleasant areas.

Specifically:

1) Have there been any evacuations of downtown/Mt. P since Hugo?

2) Have there been extended power outages for either area since Hugo?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you.

WiseManOnceSaid gave a very thorough answer, and he's right. I've lived in the area since 2007 and haven't had to evacuate. One time there was a hurricane warning and nobody left, people were surfing the same day because it didn't get bad. (Not that I'd recommend that!)

If flooding is something that's going to worry you no matter what, there are several areas that are out of flood zones - Summerville, Goose Creek, lots of West Ashley, several areas in Mt. Pleasant, Wando/Cainhoy, etc.

It's a wonderful city and having lived in 5 or so other cities, I'd never live anywhere else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area