Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 01:27 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
The thing is, the peninsula is tiny, as are the couple of communities around it. Realistically, Mt. Pleasant, West Ashley, the islands, North Charleston, etc. are all "Charleston" more than not. I mean, the peninsula has a population of what, 20k people? If that? In most cities, that would barely count as a neighborhood.

Then there are the economic ties - the vast majority of workers in Charleston don't live on the peninsula. When 70+% of your work force lives in Mt pleasant and West Ashley, they might as well be part of your city.

Then there's the official metropolitan area issue. The Charleston MSA goes from Hilton Head to Myrtle Beach. Because individually, the little towns are too small to be worth mentioning.

Really, the only reason to draw a distinction is for some sort of weird bragging rights, and that only matters to a very small subsection of locals. And even then, it's an odd thing to be bragging about since Mt Pleasant is, overall, the better town based on objective metrics like income and education.

And finally, it's hard enough finding people outside of the South who even know what/where Charleston is without then having to go through the process of trying to explain that you actually live in a different town 3 miles up the road.
The Charleston MSA stretches from Maclellanville to the north and Edisto to the south... Myrtle Beach and Hilton head/ Beaufort belong to totally separate MSA's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 12:59 PM

606 posts, read 730,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I wouldn't live in Mount Pleasant because I wouldn't get to vote in the Charleston city elections and I wouldn't get to write Charleston as my address, or say Charleston when people ask me for my address.
Wow, have you named any of your kids "Charles" yet?

Old 04-20-2016, 07:05 PM

204 posts, read 184,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
But it is a bit disappointing when someone says they live in Charleston, only to find out they're not on the penninsula.
I've never heard someone say they live in "Charleston" as a way of making the distinction that they live on the peninsula. They say they live downtown or on the peninsula.

Maybe a very old man who remembers when West Ashley was St. Andrew's Parish would talk that way, but otherwise, it would just be confusing.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:48 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
I've never heard someone say they live in "Charleston" as a way of making the distinction that they live on the peninsula. They say they live downtown or on the peninsula.

Maybe a very old man who remembers when West Ashley was St. Andrew's Parish would talk that way, but otherwise, it would just be confusing.
I've never heard someone from West Ashley say they live in Charleston. Not other people who live here anyway.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:24 AM

5,277 posts, read 6,210,635 times
Quote:
I've never heard someone from West Ashley say they live in Charleston. Not other people who live here anyway.
You might want to get out more. Unless someone is from another part of Charleston they are always going to say they live in Charleston when asked. By the time I offer West Ashley instead of Charleston I actually skip down to the specific area of WA.

Also WA, James Island, Mt P, Hannahan, etc all have areas that are every bit as nice or prefereable to downtown for some people. I've never met someone who assumed everyone from 'Charleston' lived on the Battery or SOB. Its understood that this is a pretty big area.

I will grant you that its funny as he** when someone tries to fudge an address by listing Charleston as the city with the zip code for the actual address. I did a double take when I received something from a former job that moved to the old navy base after I left. The address said Charleston & I thought- geez that move lasted a hot minute. Then I realized the woman I had worked under (who was particularly prideful) had used Charleston as the city even thought the street address and zip where in fact North Charleston.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
You might want to get out more. Unless someone is from another part of Charleston they are always going to say they live in Charleston when asked. By the time I offer West Ashley instead of Charleston I actually skip down to the specific area of WA.

Also WA, James Island, Mt P, Hannahan, etc all have areas that are every bit as nice or prefereable to downtown for some people. I've never met someone who assumed everyone from 'Charleston' lived on the Battery or SOB. Its understood that this is a pretty big area.

I will grant you that its funny as he** when someone tries to fudge an address by listing Charleston as the city with the zip code for the actual address. I did a double take when I received something from a former job that moved to the old navy base after I left. The address said Charleston & I thought- geez that move lasted a hot minute. Then I realized the woman I had worked under (who was particularly prideful) had used Charleston as the city even thought the street address and zip where in fact North Charleston.
The point is that why buy in West Ashley just so you can say you have a Charleston address? West Ashley looks like anywhere else in the US. Nothing really exclusive or symbolic about it. There are good reasons to buy in West Ashley, but the Charleston address itself isn't really buying you anything.

This place is kinda funny with fudging addresses. I don't know if its perceived judgement or fuzzy real estate marketing, but I don't know how many times I've heard people in Westcott claim they live in Summerville. Or Cane Bay straight up claiming a Summerville address (it's about 7 miles away) when it's much closer to Goose Creek or Monks Corner. Or people who live in North Charleston claim Ladson. I don't think I've ever lived in a place so sensitive about their address.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:15 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,279,493 times
Quote:
The point is that why buy in West Ashley just so you can say you have a Charleston address? West Ashley looks like anywhere else in the US. Nothing really exclusive or symbolic about it. There are good reasons to buy in West Ashley, but the Charleston address itself isn't really buying you anything.

This place is kinda funny with fudging addresses. I don't know if its perceived judgement or fuzzy real estate marketing, but I don't know how many times I've heard people in Westcott claim they live in Summerville. Or Cane Bay straight up claiming a Summerville address (it's about 7 miles away) when it's much closer to Goose Creek or Monks Corner. Or people who live in North Charleston claim Ladson. I don't think I've ever lived in a place so sensitive about their address.
This same thing happens in every part of the country I've lived.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
This same thing happens in every part of the country I've lived.
Come to think of it, I do recall people claiming a more exclusive address that was kinda sorta close by, but does it really change one's impression of you if you're really in North Charleston and not Ladson?

Old 04-21-2016, 08:04 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Many Daniel Island people get upset when they come up on a computer system as Charleston based on their ZIP code. They will immediately say I live on Daniel Island, not in Charleston.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:19 AM

480 posts, read 503,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Many Daniel Island people get upset when they come up on a computer system as Charleston based on their ZIP code. They will immediately say I live on Daniel Island, not in Charleston.
Charleston's 'island town'
I still giggle every time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area