Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:38 AM

37 posts, read 81,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarrett View Post
I'll echo what others have said - it's very hard to estimate any kind of costs without specific property info. Also, historic properties have all kinds of secrets hiding behind their walls - my husband and I renovated a 105-year-old house not too long ago and found all kinds of fun (read: expensive!) stuff behind that plaster and lathe.

Best thing I can recommend is to find a very good contractor to look at the house BEFORE you make an offer. I would never, ever advise a client to offer on something before they knew the extent of the renovation cost. Otherwise, how would you know what to offer? The property may be grossly overpriced and renovations are almost always higher than you think they would be on older properties. Good contractors will be pleased to come out and give you a quote - it's not a waste of their time because they have a chance at earning business.

I will send you a direct message with some contact info of local contractors I know to be good.

Good luck!
Thank you for the contractors info, Im sure i will be calling one of them if we love a house! And I understand its impossible to guess the amount it will cost, thats why I was just asking what situations anyone has come across that have done this and what they paid, so if it comes up in our home, I can know whether that is going to cost $ or $$$$$$$,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 07:19 AM

363 posts, read 440,461 times
Look for any signs of water damage and/or rot, check past building permits to suss out work that has already been done and contractor used.

Evaluate past work (i.e., if windows have been replaced, are they airtight, easy to open, do they tilt for easier cleaning, etc.) I would add 10% for any quote you may need, in my experience there are always "surprises"! Home buying not for the faint of heart. God bless.

houses, too many dang variables.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:52 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,804,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen808 View Post
My husband and I are considering restoring an old home in the rural outskirts of Charleston. We are coming next week for a visit, (from AZ), we have a house in mind, that has never been touched, but we have some other homes on the list too, so my question is...

What costs have any of you come across in buying an older home and restoring? We have researched a lot, but $ estimates have been vague and all over the place, and vary in different states, so I thought I would ask the people who actually live there and may have done the same thing!
In particular, cost of things like updating electrical, plumbing, adding hvac, restoring hardwoods, and just anything and everything, I am sure we will come across one thing or another!
I just want to walk into a house and kind of know the cost of things before we make an offer and have an inspection or call out a contractor and waste anyones time.
Thanks in advance for any help
A lot depends on what you mean by "old."

The last central a/c system I had replaced was just 2 years ago and was right around $5,000. That one is not fun.

Last time I had a house painted (2 story, 1,500 sq ft, on the historic register) the estimates were in the low $3,000s and mid $5,000s. The difference was one crew working the usual way (power wash, scrape, prime, paint) and the other crew following the new EPA lead regulations with tarping around the perimeter of the house, hazmat disposal and whatnot.

There isn't much to updating the plumbing unless something is actually wrong, like galvanized plumbing rusting on the inside. Copper pipes have lasted us an indefinite amount of time. We've had to change out one cast iron joint on a drain that developed a pinhole leak once it reached about 95 years old. That one was a few hundred $. The only real updating you may run into that's not related to a layout change would be the drain from the house to the sewer and that has always been done before we bought the house.

I won't get into the science of it but, nearly everywhere would benefit from crawlspace encapsulation. That runs up to about $10K on the high end (3,000 sq ft / 1 story), done correctly. Under $2,000 for the same job done on your own but it's a dirty one. If it isn't encapsulated and you run into problems you get to...

Replace all the joists and subfloor. This ran me about $30/joist + new 3/4" T&G plywood. I did the work - labor would have increased the cost by a huge factor.

I just had new finish on site hardwood finished + some older areas refinished. That ran $2.50/sq ft but I had the place completely ready for them. No baseboards installed, no doorways installed yet. Price may have been higher if there were obstacles for them to work around.

No clue on what having someone else do the electrical would be - I took advantage of doing it while I had access due to walls being opened up, going from ungrounded, undersized Romex to new and bringing up circuits and breakers to modern standards. It was a few hundred $ in materials.

Scraping paint, restoring wood can be done on your own. If you have an old house it's SO worth doing instead of pulling out all the old solid core doors and replacing with hollow core, fake wood ones and new trim. Mortise lock hardware can be found at Lowes/HD/online and it's surprisingly inexpensive. Windows can also be restored on your own. The hardest part is typically removing the glass.

With an older house if you REALLY want it fixed up you'll need to learn to do a lot of things on your own or it will absolutely eat your lunch. When it's done correctly though it's awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: