Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 03:50 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,007,578 times

Advertisements

We decided to cancel our trip to London earlier this month and come back to the Charleston area to poke around again - this time focusing on Johns Island - in hopes that we could THIS time come back with some definite plans for a retirement home. Since my husband retired earlier this month, things are becoming very real!

We had a great trip. We stayed per usual at our favorite spot - the Old Village Post House in Mount Pleasant. Continue to love the inn, the food and the staff. Feels like home now - LOL.

Met with a friend of ours, formerly from MA where we live who moved to Johns Island, and then to Columbia when she remarried. She still has her house at the Villages at St. Johns Woods. We had a grand tour - saw lots of Johns Island - she showed us the vets, Fat Hen and Wild Olive (which unfortunately don't serve lunch), we went to the Angel Oak tree, saw the "necessities" - CVS, the library, the hardware store, the grocery store, the fire station.

John's Island is rural, but not "isolated" like I was afraid it would be. Yes, it's spread out and rural, but that's OK with us. We ate at Chez Fish, which was excellent, and drove from there to Bohicket Marina (looks like a very nice spot for a drink on the water at Reds), Freshfields Village - LOVE this place - and then to Beachwalker park - great beach. We drove through my friend's subdivision which was lovely.

I'll admit, the next day I was still a bit "iffy" as I love Mt Pleasant but my husband really wants more "quiet". We had an appt. with our realtor to tour Swygerts Landing and sit down and run numbers and get serious. We both LOVED this subdivision. The houses are really nice, they are new (what we wanted), the yards are big (all @ .25 acres - great for our dog) and allow 6' privacy fences (a need with our Coonhound, who is a jumper!). We talked to some of the residents, and Melissa, the sales agent, spent a TON of time with us - she was great.

In the end, it just "felt" right, so we put a deposit on a lot and will be building. We are SO excited. We have been looking for @ 2 years - and didn't know if we could make it happen.

We had planned to go see Fosters Glenn, another Johns Island subdivision, but didn't feel the need.

One of the "surprises" - to us and to our realtor - was that it was only 15 minutes, door to door from Swygerts to downtown Charleston. That's less than some of the "North MP" places we had considered, about the same, maybe a bit less time actually, than Brickyard, which we also loved (but couldn't afford).

We realize there are trade-offs - we're giving up conveniences at our fingertips for lower RE costs, more land, and a quieter life. We're OK with that.

BTW, while in MP we ate at a great salad place - can't remember the name of it now - it was in the same plaza that Southern Seasons is in - it was awesome! I'm not a salad person. But this was great - SO good and tasty - and healthy!

All in all a great trip. If all goes well (we still have our house to sell in MA) we will be on Johns Island in our new home by the end of the year! Can't wait!!!!

Thanks to all of you these last 2 years who have answered SO many questions, given advice, commented on subdivisions we thought we might be interested in, helped sort out what area we might be happiest in, and who were so kind and concerned when my husband became very ill last year. I think we owe you all a round or two! Just name the place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 05:17 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,051 times
Congrats to you! Glad you finally found your special place.. Welcome to the area.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:47 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,956,010 times
The restaurant near Southern Seasons was likely Mozzo Deli, its right on the corner across from Starbucks. As far as John's Island being quieter, that's true for now but with the I-526 extension it will liven up a bit i imagine.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:58 PM

142 posts, read 270,076 times
Congrats, sounds like it all worked out. John's Island will be up and coming, and like you said it's a quick trip to downtown Charleston, and there's a lot of good restaurants around you in that area and at the terrace on James Island (Crust, The Lot, Zia).

Good luck with building, glad you found a place

Old 05-23-2014, 07:16 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,916 times
Congratulations! The place you probably ate by Southern Season was Verde.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:09 PM

606 posts, read 730,255 times
Congrats on the new home. Unfortunately during rush hour traffic, it's never a 15 minute drive from JI to downtown. Both Main Rd and Maybank are a hot mess...you'll see if you try it at 7 am or 5-6 pm on a Friday. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2014, 03:20 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,007,578 times
Robynn - Yes! That was it - Verde. Loved it! The salads were delicious - and HUGE!

We won't be commuting - I have an online natural pet products company, so work from home, and my husband will be retired - so we can, fortunately, time our visits off the island.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:22 AM

859 posts, read 1,361,725 times
Happy for you! it's been a fascinating journey with you as you've gotten to know the lowcountry, and I'm glad you found a place you'll be able to call home!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:38 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Congrats!

Old 05-24-2014, 11:53 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
Congrats on the purchase! I think John's Island is underrated and has some beautiful opportunities. If/when 526 comes it will change things somewhat but you should be far enough away and yet close enough that the changes for you will be for the good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
Congrats on the new home. Unfortunately during rush hour traffic, it's never a 15 minute drive from JI to downtown. Both Main Rd and Maybank are a hot mess...you'll see if you try it at 7 am or 5-6 pm on a Friday. Good luck!
This is true but only during the rush hour. It's not too bad otherwise. One of my best friends lives off of Old Pond Rd and he loves the location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area