Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City for recent grad
Charleston, SC 5 71.43%
Atlanta, GA 1 14.29%
Knoxville, TN 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:23 PM

5 posts, read 10,629 times

Advertisements

What a job market for recent grads. Man oh man will it feel good to find a solid job and a place that I can call my new home. It's definitely been a journey these past few years. But I'm ready to move onto the next chapter in my life.

I'm 22 and currently employed. I'm hoping to find a good job with my finance degree. Just not a lot of options here in the Tri-Cities area. Preferably an analytical type role in a tech or manufacturing company.

I'm looking to move to a city where more is going on. So I've narrowed it down to 3 areas. Charleston, SC, Atlanta, GA, and Knoxville, TN. Each have something I love. Charleston has so much history, great food, and let's not forget it's beaches. As a young single male, any beach city is pretty attractive to me lol. Atlanta is a city full of different kinds of people, the sports, music, and recent growth in television/movies is attractive to me also. Knoxville, TN is only an hour and half away from where I live now. I'm considering going back for my Masters and UTK would be pretty cool. Just not sure if it's smart to go into more student loan debt for no guarantee of a good job.

I have no strings tying me down. I want to be in driving distance to my younger siblings if they ever needed me is the only thing. The southeast is where I want to be. Coming from a smaller town, I'm ready for something new. A new challenge. A leap of faith.

My top priorities are a 6 hour driving distance or less from Tri-Cities, TN, good job options, growth in job market and housing market, good food, and good people.

I welcome any advice from current/past residents of these areas. It'd be cool for recent grads to chime in as well (5 years out of school).

Thanks guys!

Last edited by EastTennSportsGuy24; 05-27-2014 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: Needed to add information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 08:58 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,032 times
Pro-Charleston:

Fox Business:
Charleston is a top 10 growing mid-size metro for software industries and occupation
Charleston ranks 5th in the US for high tech industry output
Charleston has a higher share of tech-jobs than Austin, TX.
Charleston is a top 10 metro for job recovery and economic growth
Don't believe me, believe Fox Bueinss: How Charleston's Charm Is Growing a Startup Scene | Fox Small Business Center

Can I ask...why not Charlotte?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:36 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
I think you should also consider Richmond, VA.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:51 AM

69 posts, read 159,755 times
I agree with Charlotte. Big finance area.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:26 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
If you want to do Finance, Charlotte or Atlanta.

From a job market perspective:

1. Atlanta
2. Knoxville
3. Charleston

From a young single male POV it really depends on the flavor you want. Atlanta gives you big city nightlife and sporting. Knoxville has the mountains, lakes, and being the home town of the University of TN a lot of college type nightlife. Charleston has the beaches, marshes, with a more foodie/bar upscale scene.

I grew up in Knoxville and moved to SC in '91. It will always be home even though I've been here more than there. I miss the mountains. But I love living in Charleston... it's a real special place. We get back when we can.. the old family farm is up in Oneida.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 AM

Thank you for the information! That's some good stuff. I love Charleston and love to hear that it is growing.

I've thought about Charlotte, but you know that feeling towards a city where you can sense that it's a place you could live? I never really got that vibe from Charlotte. Been to a few concerts and a few Bobcats games, but I feel like it's not really me.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the insight! I've only heard good things from Charleston. The issue would be networking. I only have a family friend living down there and she's in the medical field.

Knoxville is a fun place. My family lives right outside there now. The job market is pretty stale there though.

I have cousins in ATL, but they always complain about the traffic. I don't mind traffic. I understand it comes with the big city.

As far as Charleston goes, what are some companies that are well known in the area?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 AM

What type of work are you looking to do?

Look, you like Charleston... You're young and fresh out of school. If you get out and do things, you'll meet people. Take some community classes, take a surfing class... met some folks. Get a job lined up, stay for two years and if it's not your bag.. move on. You've got time to make that happen right now.

Last edited by IsNull; 05-28-2014 at 09:26 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 09:55 AM

836 posts, read 1,031,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think you should also consider Richmond, VA.
+1 - was just thinking of adding this! I went to school there and plan to move back next spring (once my NYC lease ends)

OP, I think you would love it there. While it is not a beach town, it is a short drive to VA Beach. The job opportunities for your specified field of study are endless. There are so many large companies like Genworth Financial, DuPont, MeadWestvaco, Altria (parent company to Philip Morris), and plenty more. When I was applying to internships (eventually worked for DuPont), I would always see Analyst positions open- Marketing Analyst, Financial Analyst, etc.

The area has nice bars where you can meet young, single people around your age- especially since there are two major colleges there- VCU (my alma mater!) and University of Richmond. Additionally, since you mentioned you wanted to go back for your grad degree, you may want to look into either school. If you work for one of the large, aforementioned companies, I'm almost positive they will fund your degree (at least 50% anyway). So you will not have to worry about adding on too much debt.

The COL is extremely reasonable so someone starting out entry-level could easily make it there. OK- my highjacking of this thread is over! lol

If you are really only considering the 3 choices, I would choose Atlanta. My family lives all throughout Georgia, and the COL is cheap, the city has a lot of job opportunities. Love the soul food there!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:07 AM

Ummm while parts of GA really do have a good COL. Atlanta isn't one of them. Unless you want to live in some of the more iffy areas or are willing to make long commutes through traffic.

I would agree that for your field of study Charlotte or Richmond would be better. Finding a company that you like and would be willing to foot some of your future education needs would certainly be a plus too.

But that depends if that's what your goal is. If you just want to get out and walk about for a year or two.. then that's different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: