Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 05:35 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
It's friend-friendly, encourages social interaction. There are mixers, there is beer in the office regularly. Beer clubs, etc. Meetings will often have beer on the table. Parties. Ping pong and pool tables,etc. It feels great until people stab you in the back or others are too ignorant/inexperienced to know any better.

I mean that in a nice way though. The growth sounds great, but the majority is with inexperienced individuals. Great for a community feel, terrible for customers. Just check out glassdoor reviews from people working there.

Coined in 2012: Introducing "Silicon Harbor": Charleston, SC, Home Of TwitPic And Amazon's CreateSpace | Fast Company | Business + Innovation
What happens in that type atmosphere when one or two folks are slacking, always drinking, not putting in the work that the others are putting in? I could see an environment like that going down hill rather quickly. Sorry for all the questions, but I've been a motivator for years in the sales world and I'm curious how and why people respond to different motivations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 05:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
What happens in that type atmosphere when one or two folks are slacking, always drinking, not putting in the work that the others are putting in? I could see an environment like that going down hill rather quickly. Sorry for all the questions, but I've been a motivator for years in the sales world and I'm curious how and why people respond to different motivations.
They get fired and replaced, like any other job. I'd guess that someone hired for a good paying tech job probably had to go to school to aquire those skills and a degree, so most are hard working and probably are looking at the job as a career move.

I see your point though. I just assume those in the IT/software world probably don't show up drunk and late as often as, say, restaurant line cooks or low level landscaping workers, where they see it as just a job.

But those young IT folks would probably love to have weekends in a city like Charleston.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:44 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
You're absolutely right in your assumptions having many years experience in the work world. If people screw up being they were drinking a few beers while dealing with customer information or customer contact, even though there was permission, implied and/or explicit, the team takes the hit. It's novelty. Novelty gets you in the door and pumps your tummy with butterflies and rainbows, but it's usually a mask for many other things.

One example is cost. It's cheaper to buy a ping pong table, pool table, and beer every 3 months than it is to actually pay everyone just $1k more a year. Plus, sometimes it's smoke and mirrors. A company may advertise a pool table, but it's used maybe once or twice a year, or a video gaming system that happens to be terribly outdated and the controller lacking working batteries for years.

It gets you in the door, but the only people that it works regularly and long term are the people who don't know any better or having been in real work environments. For those of us with actual experience, it fades fast and then the typical advantages are sought and sometimes never found.

Feel free to PM me. I've always been into motivational schemes and variables.

PS - Have you read DRiVE by Daniel Pink?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
I believe we've discussed the IT working environments in another thread. These type of 'hip' software development set ups are the exception not the rule for most IT shops.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:33 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
First thing I did when I was a 20 something was move into the city. Every kid I knew who lived in the burbs moved into the city. It's what young people do. Then when they start having kids they move to the burbs. That's what people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area