Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:44 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

I think past experiences help to give some background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:48 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,960,316 times
Well it's not to surprising for people to be kind of surprised by the grading scale, among other things when they move here. For instance my classes Valedictorian had a 5.75 GPA.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:04 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Many of us relocated here as it is an inexpensive place to live, especially real estate taxes. Overall you are not going to get the social and educational services/levels you get in higher taxed states. Simple Economics 101. They do not have the money to offer such and the majority of people do not care as long as their taxes are not raised.

As an example. The town of Dublin OH has a 2% income tax. This is above and beyond any other local, county, or state taxes. This is Dublin's own little income tax.

The average 2011 property tax bill in MA is $3,907. Highest average property tax bill is $16,000 in the town of Weston and the lowest average property tax bill is $1,100 in the town of Rowe. Care to guess how good the schools in Weston are?

2009 Property Taxes On Owner Occupied Homes:

NJ, $6,759...MA, $3,511...CA, $2,839...OH, $1,836...FL, $1,773
NC, $1,209...SC, $689...MS,$508...LA, $243

2012 UPDATE

NJ, $7,183 highest......AL, $535 lowest

Last edited by johngolf; 05-31-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 09:24 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
I guess that works if you believe the amount of money poured into an educational system equates to performance increases. I believe it does to a point.

Why does Wando do better than other non magnet CCSD high schools yet receives less per student?

Old 05-31-2014, 09:59 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I guess that works if you believe the amount of money poured into an educational system equates to performance increases. I believe it does to a point.

Why does Wando do better than other non magnet CCSD high schools yet receives less per student?
I am not an educator but I believe some of the answers are:

1. Parents involved.

2. Parental expectations.

3. Parents with money and pull to make things happen.

4. A location teachers want to work in. Clean, safe, etc.

5. A dedicated, professional staff.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:07 AM

120 posts, read 153,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am not an educator but I believe some of the answers are:

1. Parents involved.

2. Parental expectations.

3. Parents with money and pull to make things happen.

4. A location teachers want to work in. Clean, safe, etc.

5. A dedicated, professional staff.
agree

Old 05-31-2014, 11:37 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
HERE is why, the actual truth:

Mt P has known for quite some time it needed a new school. Years ago, CCSD asked about it, and many in Mt P said they didn't want one. They pushed not to get it at the time.

WHY? Because most of Mt P's original "locals" live in the "South Mt P" area, below Town Center towards downtown. Those are the folks who vote the most, and who have the most influence. Above Town Center is mostly all new residents, many transplants....and many who don't vote, and aren't politically connected. Mt P is notorious for low turnout...less than 10% vote in town elections.

So, the "South Mt P" folks didn't want it....because they are precisely the population group that would attend the new high school.

And the assumption was that in Mt P, the new high school would be seen as subpar compared to Wando. That Wando would be king, and the new one would be the smaller stepchild to Wando, and the well connected folks of the South Mount Pleasant population area, who vote and are well connected, didn't want their kids going to the new HS.

That was early 2000's. Now the town has blown up even more, and CCSD has basically said "Sorry, you had your chance and didn't want it"

Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
HERE is why, the actual truth:

Mt P has known for quite some time it needed a new school. Years ago, CCSD asked about it, and many in Mt P said they didn't want one. They pushed not to get it at the time.

WHY? Because most of Mt P's original "locals" live in the "South Mt P" area, below Town Center towards downtown. Those are the folks who vote the most, and who have the most influence. Above Town Center is mostly all new residents, many transplants....and many who don't vote, and aren't politically connected. Mt P is notorious for low turnout...less than 10% vote in town elections.

So, the "South Mt P" folks didn't want it....because they are precisely the population group that would attend the new high school.

And the assumption was that in Mt P, the new high school would be seen as subpar compared to Wando. That Wando would be king, and the new one would be the smaller stepchild to Wando, and the well connected folks of the South Mount Pleasant population area, who vote and are well connected, didn't want their kids going to the new HS."
Being a "south Mt P" resident, the above sounds about right (can't speak to it factually).
Thanks for pointing this out CD2013 ... with no "kids in the fight" so to speak, I just hadn't thought of it that way. I'm going to start asking the young parents around here to see if this IS their perspective.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Being a "south Mt P" resident, the above sounds about right (can't speak to it factually).
Thanks for pointing this out CD2013 ... with no "kids in the fight" so to speak, I just hadn't thought of it that way. I'm going to start asking the young parents around here to see if this IS their perspective.
Yeah, Im not a native of Mt P, and don't have kids here, so I have no dog in the fight either haha. But, that's how it played out. The Old Village residents, Cooper Estates, The Groves, and the folks living in I'On and Old Park, and other wealthy areas on Mathis Ferry, have a lot of influence. They are the foundation of this city, and always have been. All our town council members and mayors seem to be from the South areas, historically, and mostly now even.

So, 10-15 years ago just before Mt P's population explosion, CCSD approached the town about the possibility of a 2nd high school, since the new Wando was already planned and going to be built, it would make room for a second one at the old site.

CCSD was ready to spend a nice chunk. It was either a 2nd high school.......OR, a nice shiny new Moultrie Middle School right there on Coleman Boulevard.

The influential folks knew their kids would go to the new Moultrie Middle (gorgeous BTW)......AND the new HS which would be seen as second fiddle to Wando. So, between the two, its obvious which one they supported. They got a new, huge, beautiful Moultrie Middle....instead of a 2nd HS. But, now their teenage kids have to make the trip through lots of traffic up to the new Wando, and go to a very crowded school.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:19 PM

I cant blame those parents who didn't want a new HS b/c their kid would go to the "second fiddle" HS in Mt P. They probably thought "Just don't build it NOW because my kid needs/wants to go to Wando.....after that, I'll support a 2nd one".

But then those parents don't have kids in the fight, and a new generation of parents are thinking the same thing: I want MY kid to go to Wando, not a 2nd HS".

Thing is, they don't have to make it a new HS. Just do like Summerville and have 2 campuses. One North, one South. Both Wando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area