Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 03:51 PM

859 posts, read 1,352,494 times

Advertisements

We've had some major problems with South State since they took over/merged or whatever they did with First Federal, and are wondering if anyone else out there has experienced the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 04:48 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,437,228 times
We have. Don't know if they are just incompetent fools or if it is a result of the takeover...

Old 11-21-2014, 05:06 PM

66 posts, read 90,547 times
No issues here. However, we just have basic checking and savings, both with minimal transactions per month. What sort of problems are you having?

Old 11-21-2014, 05:27 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,566,928 times
I'm not. I don't use that bank, but my mom has had some issues. Just yesterday she was telling me that she paid her SCE&G bill online and was charged a fee of 2.12. She had a choice of when to pay and chose 1 day and didn't realize there would be an extra charge. There was no pop-up or anything alerting of the fee.

Evidently bill pay is different than what she was used to. She was charged a late fee to SCE&G because she didn't realize the check and the electronic options get to the biller at different times. She always pays her bills on time. She is having to get used to a lot of differences after having used First Federal for so long.

She also got 2 credit cards from them (2 different types) and had to go to the bank and get that fixed. I forgot what the deal was exactly.

Anyway, I've heard her complain quite a bit but she's older and you know how older people like change.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:23 PM

482 posts, read 841,171 times
I use them for my mortgage and haven't had any issues yet.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:52 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,934,781 times
I'm a former banker, my father was a banker, and my husband is a banker.

Take it from me...
There are people who are good bankers, but there is no such thing as a good bank.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:23 AM

859 posts, read 1,352,494 times
We have done all our banking with First Fed, now South State, for the 3 adults in our household. We have multiple checking account, 3 savings accounts, our mortgage, our line of credit, and my CC for my jewelry business. We've had 3 issues since the takeover; two are pretty serious, one is just kafloogled.

The kafloogle is that hubbie opened a new checking account - after South State takeover - and was given an account number and some counter checks when he opened the account. Last week he attempted to order checks from Checks Unlimited, and was told his account had too many numbers, and to call the bank. So he called the branch, and was told, oh, yes, SS added account numbers to their new accounts, and to go order them from the company, Hamlin, that SS uses. He attempted to do that, and was told they couldn't process his order, and to get in touch with the bank. Huh?

The first serious issue was that they 'lost' a deposit for my jewelry account - for over two weeks. It would show up, then disappear, then show up and disappear, over and over. Was given a story about how they process deposits differently from the folks at the branch, and was told it was just a 'posting issue' by customer service at their 800 number. Finally got it straightened out, but for two weeks, I had no idea how much $$ I had in my account, and was unable to pay bills or make supply purchases from that account.

The second issue that just happened yesterday was this - I opened my accounts in the morning, and there was a deposit for over $3000 in our family checking account. When I looked at the deposit details, I saw the actual deposit slip. The account number had been incorrectly read - it was one number off from my account number. Called the branch, and at first the teller told me there's no way that could have happened; I said, well, it did, I'm looking at it, and asked to speak to the manager. She looked at the information, and said (again) that it was the fault of their machine that posts the checks - that the machine actually read the wrong handwritten account number. She said she would correct it, and we ended our conversation. Later that day I went back on line to see if it had been corrected; they posted the credit twice to my account and now I was $2000 negative balance, and my overdraft protection had kicked in with a transfer. Called the manager back, and she made twisty pretzels trying to explain to me how bank posting works. I told her I didn't care how it works, that I had lost faith with SS, and would be shopping around for new banks.

I hate to switch banks, but am really frustrated and also feel very insecure about what they do with my money now. Never, ever, had problems with First Fed, for 11 years!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:07 AM

66 posts, read 90,547 times
Yep, with major issues like that, I'd be shopping around for a new bank as well. Let me know what you find. I'm thinking of switching to a new bank as well, preferably one with more locations nationwide (although I'm not a fan off the big banks, it makes it easier when traveling).

Old 11-22-2014, 11:54 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,437,228 times
Problem is, you can switch banks, but how many of them are worth the switch? We had Wachovia for years...even before it was Wachovia. When it changed to Wells Fargo, it was a change for the absolute worst.

We only have South State for our mortgage, but we've had continual problems.

In both cases, too many problems and issues to even list here...

Old 11-22-2014, 12:28 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,038,399 times
I only had one issue when the switch first took place. They had to link my First Federal and SCBT accounts together because I had accounts at both banks, but they quickly straightened it out.

I'm going to be on the lookout just in case. I knew they were issues right after the change but didn't know it was still occurring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area