U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 14,240 times

Advertisements

I see so many postings here that note North Charleston as a bad place to live. I'm moving to the area soon and need to find a place to live. I'm in the military so I can't afford the swanky places and it looks like it'll be N. Charleston for me, my wife, and our two children (both under 3yrs).

We'll be mving from NYC (Staten Island) so I'm used to traffic, not that I like it though) but can anyone relate North Charleston to a part of NYC maybe?
There are very few places I don't feel safe in the city at night. (I wouldn't want to be wandering around Bed-Stuy in the middle of the night for example.

I guess what I'm asking is, since the layout of Charleston seems so random and I'm used to the city grid system, can anyone give me actual locations of the really bad areas that you just don't want to be?

Please don't just say North Charleston because that is such a big area, it can't all be bad.

Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 AM

899 posts, read 3,353,168 times
Too Simply put:
North Charleston = Hempstead

There's no reason why you have to live there except by choice. Which many people happily do.

jim

Old 01-03-2008, 08:59 AM

10,536 posts, read 13,037,181 times
The traffic will be nothing like NYC. North Charleston does have a higher crime rate in general. It does not have the density of areas of NYC. There are parts of North Charleston that would be okay. Stay away from the southern part of the town and the southern part of Dorchester Rd. As you move north, there are more options. Upper Dorchester Rd. has some nicer areas beginning at about the Air Force base. I'm sure there are others, but that's what comes to mind for me right now.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 AM

528 posts, read 1,438,367 times
North Charleston definitely has areas that are just fine to live in...if you are coming with the military it will be closer for your job.
The following neighborhoods are all within a 20 mile radius of the Air Force Base & Naval Weapons Station:
Archdale, Indigo Fields, Indigo Palms, Crowfield Plantation,Eagle Run, Whitehall, Heatherwoods
All very nice developments. Make sure you look into the military discounts!
Let us know if you need anything else or have any questions.
Foster

Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,297,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcubbedge View Post
I see so many postings here that note North Charleston as a bad place to live. I'm moving to the area soon and need to find a place to live. I'm in the military so I can't afford the swanky places and it looks like it'll be N. Charleston for me, my wife, and our two children (both under 3yrs).

We'll be mving from NYC (Staten Island) so I'm used to traffic, not that I like it though) but can anyone relate North Charleston to a part of NYC maybe?
There are very few places I don't feel safe in the city at night. (I wouldn't want to be wandering around Bed-Stuy in the middle of the night for example.

I guess what I'm asking is, since the layout of Charleston seems so random and I'm used to the city grid system, can anyone give me actual locations of the really bad areas that you just don't want to be?

Please don't just say North Charleston because that is such a big area, it can't all be bad.

Thanks for your help.
get a map, with a yellow high lighter mark over all of Ashley Phosphate rd... Dorchester Rd from where it intersects with AshleyPhos Rd all the way down Dorch Rd to where it dead ends into Rivers Ave ( also known as hwy 52 )

now high light all of Rivers from where it runs almost into downtown Charleston out to Greenridge Rd past where Rivers (hwy52) goes out past Ashley Phos rd

you've just draw a good triangle to try and stay out of

also the area within a few miles of the intersection of hwy 78 and College Park Rd

that ought to cover most bad spots, or rather leave you some decent spots

that's without going into deeper detail, there are a few good spots inbetween all that but you really have to know where you are

Jamaca Queens, or near where you catch the subway late at night kind of reminds me of some of N.Chuck

College Park rd up a few miles past the I-26 overpass going away from hwy 78 kind of reminds me of Bellrose with the houses a little farther apart

good luck looking around, tons of great places affordable around here

Old 01-12-2008, 08:14 AM

308 posts, read 999,064 times
I was also curious... my family is relocating to area, and while N. Charleston is not one of the areas we're considering to live, my daughter is thinking about applying to the school of the arts which has a N. Charleston address. Not knowing the area, is it in a safe area for school? Thanks!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:22 PM

54 posts, read 235,628 times
One day, while watching the evening news, my wife said to me, "they ought to put that yellow crime tape around the city limits of N. Charleston because that is all we ever hear on the news."

Basically, you always hear of stuff happening in N. Charleston, W. Ashley and Downtown. But, by far, the most crime in the area happens there.

Some people here call it "Not Charleston" because is is so dissimilar to the rest of the area.

MEKS, who posted above, gives some great advice. Take that and you should be fine, but you really want to avoid certain areas.

I have even felt uneasy at a gas station there on Rivers Ave at 526. It seemed like I was being "cased" by the locals. I got a couple of gallons and scooted out of there in a hurry.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,413,918 times
You did the right thing by getting out of there quickly. That is a bad area!

Speaking of NC....Hopefully one of our real estate agents can answer this question. This past weekend we visited the Hunley on the old Navy base and decided to drive around to see how the area has changed. Well we came upon these old large homes that are boarded up near Waterfront Park. Here's a pic of one....the one I LOVE....Do any of you know anything about these homes? I didn't see a street name because they were not on a normal street but they seemed near some base housing. We were thinking maybe they were the Officer's residents.

Last edited by Luvsdabeach; 01-16-2008 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Added to post.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 PM

899 posts, read 3,353,168 times
Give me an address & I'll give you the history.
jim

Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 PM

330 posts, read 1,152,758 times
[/quote]

Wow. That's an impressive home that should be restored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area