Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2006, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 45,128 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, I am a newbie here I stumbled on this forum & have enjoyed reading the posts. Their seems to be a lot of very helpful and kind people on this forum and I wondered if you could answer a few questions for me?

I'm a 34yr old married male with two children, My wife and I are waiting for our green card to be approved.

We live in London and are hoping to move to Wescott Plantation in Summerville.

My questions are as follows:-

1. I am of mixed race and my wife is white, would we suffer racism because were English or because of race, and if so which areas should we avoid as we don't want to upset anybody?

2. I'm an Estate agent in England and would like to be a realtor in Summerville, what qualification would I need and how long would they take to get?

3. My wife is currently working in a high end hair salon in the west end of London, what kind of wage could she expect in an upmarket salon in Charleston?

4. What Taxes, insurance policies and other expenses should we expect.

5. Any other info you would think would be helpful would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your kind responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 02:34 PM

548 posts, read 1,979,396 times
[quote=Markie1972;151737]Hello everybody, I am a newbie here I stumbled on this forum & have enjoyed reading the posts. Their seems to be a lot of very helpful and kind people on this forum and I wondered if you could answer a few questions for me?

I'm a 34yr old married male with two children, My wife and I are waiting for our green card to be approved.

We live in London and are hoping to move to Wescott Plantation in Summerville.

Very nice, my friend lives not too far from there

My questions are as follows:-

1. I am of mixed race and my wife is white, would we suffer racism because were English or because of race, and if so which areas should we avoid as we don't want to upset anybody?

Doubtful, I think you'll do fine. The numerous times I've been to visit her and gone to downtown Charleston I've seen a number of mixed race couples. People who do make an issue aren't worth bothering with. Just ignore.

2. I'm an Estate agent in England and would like to be a realtor in Summerville, what qualification would I need and how long would they take to get?

Here is some information http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/Rea...h_Carolina.asp

3. My wife is currently working in a high end hair salon in the west end of London, what kind of wage could she expect in an upmarket salon in Charleston?

Well first she'll need a license. She should contact http://www.llr.state.sc.us/AboutUs/i...le=CONTACT.HTM. I'm not sure about salary, it's probably dependent on how the shop is set up. Some shops give a percentage of the business you do and other shops "rent" you space in their shop and you get what you make minus the "rent". Some may even just pay a salary (these are usually the shops that are chains)

4. What Taxes, insurance policies and other expenses should we expect.

Well basically you'll pay property taxes if you own a home, car, boat. You'll need insurance for same as well as you'll want medical insurance which based on your occupations you'll have to pickup yourself as opposed to company plans. There is sales tax on everything. Tax on prepared food went down to 3% recently and other items are expected to go up to I think 7% from current 5%.

5. Any other info you would think would be helpful would be much appreciated.

They're gonna have fun with your accents for sure ;-) I'm originally from Boston and am always asked where I'm from.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 49,920 times
My ex is a Englishman who's now living in NC. There's going to be some obvious differences between London and here, but as a whole, I think you'll like it. As the previous poster mentioned, your wife will need to get her license. I would recommend her bringing a portfolio of her work as well. There may be a few people who might look at you differently b/c of your race, but I wouldn't say anymore than anywhere else. You'll garner more attention b/c of your accent

Old 12-10-2006, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,050 times
Smile I live in Charleston and second JanRey

I too stumbled on this thread, I searching for beauty salon's in Charleston that might have web sites (doing some research for a friend.) The area as a whole is becoming more diverse every day. Especially high growth areas like that surrounding Wescott. A great Salon for your wife to become affiliated with is Stella Nova. They have several locations - and their site is www.stella-nova.com . I will ask my friend if she has any recomendations as she has a small salon/spa in Mt. Pleasant and has been in the area for a while. I am actually an insurance broker, and would be happy to help you with anything i can. I can also put you in touch with a good mortgage broker who lives near where you are considering.

Warm regards,

Marc Welsh

Old 12-13-2006, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 7,111 times
Being a Brit too and running an International Moving company with offices in UK and USA if I can answer any questions on the relocation / Moving side let me know.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,043 times
I'm sure you won't experience any racism- Charleston has a very diverse population- people from all races, colors and creeds. And the southerners (originally from Charleston) are extremely friendly and open.
As far as Wescott goes, it's so beautiful there and the school system is the best in Charleston. Without a doubt.
You'll have to get your car registered within 90 days of moving here and you have to pay a tax on that, depending on the value of your car (the older the car, the less tax you pay).
Your wife shouldn't have any trouble finding a job at a salon, there are Many nice salons, especially in West Ashley on Rt. 61.
Good luck to you!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:26 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,530,243 times
Hi: I'm English too. I don't think you will encounter any problems. Welcome!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:54 PM

31 posts, read 120,022 times
Wish you were looking at Goose Creek. Liberty Hall Plantation would be very welcoming to the family. However, your mind is made up, so you will just have to settle for second best! (grins)

I use Stella Nova Salon in West Ashley. They have 3 locations and a website. A cut and color runs me a bit over $200. Is that top end enough? They are good, very good, and I'm picky.

Enjoy your new home!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM

15 posts, read 45,128 times
Thanks to everybody who took the time give me an insight into your beautiful county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area