Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:23 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

We have targeted three areas to relocate to based up what we've been researching for jobs. A friend of our relocated to the Charleston area last year-lives in Folly Beach. He's told us that there are good jobs to be found in the area. Our youngest child is going to SCAD next year and our older kids both live in FL. My family is native to NC/VA(since the 1600's), so coming from Upstate NY-where it was -21 yesterday, we'll be right between everyone.

I currently am a school bus dispatcher, I also have my CDL B. I have a degree in hospitality and tourism management. I'd like to work again in school transportation, but I've seen a outfit down there that would allow me to combine my driving experience along with the tourism end of it by doing tour buses. I am considering it as I love history.

My hubby was a ready mix concrete dispatcher here until the company sold to a national firm and they let everyone employed there go. He dabbled in durable medical goods as a transfill tech with liquid oxygen. But the pay was minimum wage as jobs here are non existent. Not sure what he can transfer his skills to in the area. He's got strong management, customer service skills and sales-he was responsible for 7 million a year in concrete sales at the quarry.

We are going to be looking to downsize our home, we are in good shape to purchase as we have no mortgage here. Considering a HOA, but not huge fans of them. A nice 3 bedroom, 2 bath home-thinking of a ranch style as we don't want stairs as we get older-we are early 50's now. 2000sq ft as we inherited antique furniture from my parent's and grandparents and we'll need a formal dining room as well as one of the bedrooms converted into a office/library. I'd like to spend under 200K and the home doesn't have to be close to the center of things, outside city limits is preferable to us. I don't mind driving 20 mins or so as it takes that long to get anywhere here these days. Our county has grown to over 300K since 9/11 happened and traffic is a nightmare, especially when there's a accident on the interstate and the overflow to local roads causes gridlock for hours. My 7 minute commute to work has taken me over 1 1/2 hours to get home when that happens. I won't miss that at all.

We both like the outdoors, camping, hunting and fishing. We do go to "some" concerts, but more into enjoying a night out at a baseball game or restaurant.

We'd been going to Myrtle Beach for the last 18 years, but that area has built up SO much and lost it's appeal for our final home and move. Our friends love Charleston and all it offers. They have said we'd be able to enjoy much of what we don't have here in Upstate NY anymore and that's being able to afford the little things. Our taxes here are over 8K a year and we are drowning.

What industries or businesses are there that we should consider looking at? We are going to hit the job hunting hard here after May. Hubby will more than likely head down to start working if he can land a job, he'll find a campground near by to stay at until I tie lose ends up here. Our youngest moves to SCAD in early Aug. We hope to have jobs and move out of NY before the holidays this year.

Thanks for any advice or help, it's greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 09:32 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a house that meets your criteria for under $200K, unless you don't mind living 30-40 minutes outside of Charleston. There are a few realtors on the board who can possibly give you some options.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:47 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Charleston is lovely but expensive. As said $200K is not going to get a home close to Charleston. You might should start exploring the Columbia SC area. Good employment opportunities and much lower housing cost.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:58 AM

480 posts, read 504,206 times
I would visit before you spend a bunch of time researching jobs, houses, etc.
If you think Myrtle Beach is SO built up, I don't think Charleston is right for you. And if you think traffic is a 'nightmare' in Monroe, Newburgh, or wherever you live, it's worse here.
I love Charleston, but it's expensive.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:05 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,600,535 times
I'm one of the Realtors on the board and a quick search shows that there are a few that might suffice though there will be some compromises to accept. If you can live with a little less sqft, some possibilities come up. To avoid sketchy areas you'll need to think about being farther out but there's a couple in West Ashley off route 61 that sound ok. The biggest disadvantage to that area is if you have to travel during rush hour traffic. 61 gets really bogged down and it's not likely to get better any time soon. It's not a bad area otherwise though and it isn't rural so there's grocery stores and basic amenities nearby. There's not a lot in the Charleston area that gives you what you want and when it comes up it doesn't last long but it might not be impossible to find.

My daughter went to SCAD her first year and liked it. Have you thought about Savannah and being closer to your youngest child?

Old 02-16-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a house that meets your criteria for under $200K, unless you don't mind living 30-40 minutes outside of Charleston. There are a few realtors on the board who can possibly give you some options.
No, don't mind living outside the city itself. We were there briefly last summer and actually I'd prefer a bit more off the grid than in the main area. I did a search for homes, I put it at 250K. There's plenty to keep us looking just outside the area. We aren't into McMansions at all. We have a cape right now. I still have our building plans from when we built it, so we could just buy the land and redo this house there. But that being said, we did find some nice homes outside Charleston that would fit us. We've been looking at older homes, 1870 and up. That would be a bonus if we could find a older home in smaller town.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Charleston is lovely but expensive. As said $200K is not going to get a home close to Charleston. You might should start exploring the Columbia SC area. Good employment opportunities and much lower housing cost.
We are considering that too. We have Greenville, Columbia, Savannah and Charleston we are targeting. All have job growth. And again, not looking for a new home. McMansions are icky.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
I would visit before you spend a bunch of time researching jobs, houses, etc.
If you think Myrtle Beach is SO built up, I don't think Charleston is right for you. And if you think traffic is a 'nightmare' in Monroe, Newburgh, or wherever you live, it's worse here.
I love Charleston, but it's expensive.
Nope, live on the other side of the River in Southern Dutchess. When I was in Charleston last summer, I saw traffic can be bad, especially during a thunderstorm. I think outside the city to smaller towns is what we are wanting, just trying to get the lay of the land there. I can deal with commuting in for work. It's living right in the center where it's gridlocked all the time that makes me grind my teeth. When Fishkill gets shut down for a accident, it's a nightmare for hours afterwards from the overflow of I-84.

Myrtle Beach over by Carolina Forest is a infrastructure nightmare. That's what we we want to avoid.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I'm one of the Realtors on the board and a quick search shows that there are a few that might suffice though there will be some compromises to accept. If you can live with a little less sqft, some possibilities come up. To avoid sketchy areas you'll need to think about being farther out but there's a couple in West Ashley off route 61 that sound ok. The biggest disadvantage to that area is if you have to travel during rush hour traffic. 61 gets really bogged down and it's not likely to get better any time soon. It's not a bad area otherwise though and it isn't rural so there's grocery stores and basic amenities nearby. There's not a lot in the Charleston area that gives you what you want and when it comes up it doesn't last long but it might not be impossible to find.

My daughter went to SCAD her first year and liked it. Have you thought about Savannah and being closer to your youngest child?
We thought about Savannah. Just outside the city once again. It's one of the areas we are looking at. I have 5 trips down there coming up. So I am going to be spending time by the two areas to look around. I have been talking to transportation supervisors in both areas to see about jobs and that's not a issue as I can drive a school bus there if need be, I think anyone with a clean license with almost 30 years in with software certifications for routing will be needed. At least I hope so.

And while being near SCAD is tempting, she will be spreading her wings after graduation to parts elsewhere and this will be our second and final move in life. We need to do this for us now.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:14 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
We are considering that too. We have Greenville, Columbia, Savannah and Charleston we are targeting. All have job growth. And again, not looking for a new home. McMansions are icky.
Greenville, SC will be much less expensive and you will definitely get more bang for your buck. The only thing you'll be giving up is the beach. Although, you can get there in 3 hrs or so for a weekend trip. I like Charleston and we almost moved there but ended up in Greenville because we found it much affordable.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area