Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:33 PM

9 posts, read 44,539 times

Advertisements

I'm allergic to mosquitoes??? I currently live in Detroit and my hubby and I are are contemplating a Charleston move. We're looking into the Mount Pleasant area.

We get some hot and humid days/night during our summers here in Detroit, but on those days mosquitoes LOVE me, and even when I drench myself in repellent I still get some bites. They swell to the size of half dollars sometimes and last for a week or 2. It's annoying, but I deal with it and only have to worry about it a couple months out of the year.

I've heard the bugs (and mosquitoes) are bad in Charleston, but how bad is it really? Will I be miserable? I don't want to be covered in deet all the time

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 PM

96 posts, read 443,540 times
NO . but if you do bounce fabric softener or skin so soft {if thet still make it } works a lil bit .good luck .

Old 01-22-2008, 03:50 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,107 times
Did ya catch the Yankees vs. Cleveland American League Playoff game #2? lol. Bugs aren't as bad as that, AMEN, but yes the state bird here is the mosquito!

Old 01-23-2008, 02:39 PM

99 posts, read 354,818 times
I don't get bit here any more than I did in the adirondacks, fewer black flies too. Don't consider living near the marsh. Planned communites are your best bet. Some areas are very diligent about spraying. There are effective deterrent systems.
But how are you with fire ants?

Old 01-23-2008, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the responses, and yes, I've been learning about the fire ants too!

Is it inevitable for one to get attacked by fire ants or does anyone live there peacefully with no problems?? Are there some areas worse than others with fire ants?

Charleston seemed like such a great place to live, but I'm really starting to get scared hearing about all the creepy crawlys and attacking insects! I currently live in a suburban area in MI where I love being outside enjoying the summer nights, BBQing on our deck, relaxing in the hammock, etc. The most I have to deal with is an occasional pesky fly or bumble bee, sometimes mosquitoes.

I don't don't want to feel "on gaurd" all the time or feel stuck in the house every summer evening! Do residents of Charelston enjoy being outside during this time or are they combatting bugs and fire ant mounds all summer?

Old 01-23-2008, 03:57 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
I haven't gotten bitten by fire ants yet and I've been running through woods, crawling under houses and all sorts of outdoor activities in the area for the past 5 years.

I might just be ridiculously lucky though.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:44 PM

890 posts, read 4,326,455 times
That's the thing about fire ants, you don't realize they are there until you are standing in the middle of a mound and suddenly feel pinches on your legs and down in your shoes. You quickly tear off your shoes and socks and usually both have several ants all over them. Their bites are nasty, you get this pimple looking fluid filled sore that itches like mad. There is no area that is worse than another when it comes to fire ants. I see their mounds all the time on the sides of the road. They are mainly in grassy areas or plant beds. I have a huge one right now under my magnolia tree.

The mosquitoes are mostly out early in the mornings or early evenings but it is still possible to get bit anytime of the day if you have shaded wet areas around your house. We usually can't sit outside in the evenings in warm weather without wearing some kind of repellent or having some kind of bug torch going. They will eat you up. So yes if your plans are to sit outside in the evenings you can expect some kind of annoyances. Then there is the no-see-ums.........

Old 01-24-2008, 01:53 AM

99 posts, read 354,818 times
I mentioned fire ants because I was worried about your allergies. We have a cabinet for Epipens in my house.

The ant mounds seem to pop up right after it rains. If you get with your neighbors and all treat at the same time so you don't just move them next door for a while, you will be fine.

Really the benefits of living here outweigh the little problems. Visit the first week of April, when the azaleas and wild wisteria are in bloom and you will be sold.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:03 AM

Thank you for all the replies, very helpful!!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 AM

25 posts, read 104,364 times
If you have issues with mosquitos and can afford it, buy a home with a screen porch, and if you can get under the porch, put screen under the floor. Then you can sit out in the evening without worrying about the mosquitos. Living closer to the water/marsh, you get a bit more breeze and that can help too. If it's windy enough, they can't fly!!Charleston County does monitor for mosquitos and has spray trucks that drive around and spray in the middle of the night, but we are a moist climate here and they still hatch after a rainfall. I grew up in Maine and the mosquitos and gnats in Charleston are not as bad as they were up there in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area