Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:46 PM

8 posts, read 7,630 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move from Maine in the next 5-10 years or so...maybe sooner but most likely minimum would be 5 years. Besides the weather which is the most important reason why I would be moving, I hate Maine and the northeast in general because it's so polluted with liberal democrats that have the answer to spend more money and raise taxes to every question...especially when it comes to spending money on illegal aliens...but I digress, I am looking for an area that is conservative and I was looking at the Charleston and Summerville areas. Charleston looks like it's more liberal based on voting patterns in the Presidential elections the past few cycles, as I noticed Charleston went for Obama both times. I also notice that Summerville went for McCain and Romney by quite a bit which tells me that Summerville voters have more sense. I like living on the coast. Right now I live a couple miles from Old Orchard Beach in Maine which is nice during the 2 months of summer, if you want to call it summer. We haven't even hit 90 degrees in 2 years, but we go well below zero a lot during the winter. Not to mention, last couple of years every time we get a snow storm they are measuring it in feet.

I was looking at Florida, the weather is a lot warmer obviously, but except in a few areas they have gone more liberal over the past few election cycles. Even though property taxes in the place in Florida I checked out are a lot lower than in Maine, I notice people complaining that the liberal government in the cities in Florida are raising taxes all the time and saying that pretty soon the tax rates will be just as high as the northeast.

So, I know I vented a little here, but the bottom line is I would like to know where the best area to be is if you are a conservative looking for an affordable area in a place with more summer and little to no winter.

Darryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 02:34 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,435 times
Try Daniel Island or Mt. Pleasant.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:40 PM

882 posts, read 1,462,552 times
Dear Zillow,

Kindly add confirmation bias as a search parameter.

Homogeneously yours.

[insert name]

Old 08-06-2015, 05:09 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,446,547 times
I wouldn't worry about the conservative/liberal stuff. There are "liberals" and "conservatives" in every town and city in the Charleston/Summerville areas...and South Carolina as a whole, for that matter. Just move where you believe you'll be happy.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:50 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
I don't think you would like it here. Maybe try Arizona or something

Old 08-06-2015, 06:41 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,046 times
Liberal here.
(Sorry, just checking in.)

Old 08-06-2015, 06:58 PM

49 posts, read 81,343 times
I don't know why 'Moneill' would arbitrarily say you wouldn't like it in Charleston. I came to SC from the great liberal state of Maryland. lol I agree that Daniel Island or Mount Pleasant would be good choices. Now Charleston is not Florida and there are four distinct seasons. My first winter in Charleston I never saw ice on the ground. I think it got down to about 35 one night. A few years later reality set in and it was down to about 15 degrees. So yeah, it can get cold but it doesn't last long. It does snow occasionally and if you sleep past 11 am you might miss it. Winter is great for all outdoor activities, cycling, beach combing, golf, tennis and yard work. Yeah, yard work. It's the best time of year to work on mulch, flower beds and stuff. Now summer is a horse of a different color, but that's why we have air conditioners. I think you'll like the Charleston area.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:07 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,048,754 times
Charleston is definitely the blue-ist area of a red state...

Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,349,810 times
Charleston downtown and North Charleston are liberal. The rest of the areas are conservative. Mt Pleasant tends to be more fiscally conservative and socially libertarian.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:23 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
Charleston is definitely the blue-ist area of a red state...
It's a little over 50/50 at least from the most recent election. But for voting on straight party lines, this might help.

Charleston - Election Results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area