Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 03:58 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times

Advertisements

Silver

Not even sure why I am taking the time to respond but I will. When one buys in an HOA they agree to the Covenants, Bylaws, and Rules and Regulations. In many cases these docs do "eliminate/restrict" what one can do on their non-HOA private property.

One classic example is the local government says fences can be 8 feet tall and surround ones property. The HOA docs say fences cannot be taller than 4 feet, must be a specific design/material/color, etc and cannot be forward of the rear edge of the house as in surround ones backyard. Try surrounding your property with an 8 foot chain link fence and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 04:24 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Silver

Not even sure why I am taking the time to respond but I will. When one buys in an HOA they agree to the Covenants, Bylaws, and Rules and Regulations. In many cases these docs do "eliminate/restrict" what one can do on their non-HOA private property.

One classic example is the local government says fences can be 8 feet tall and surround ones property. The HOA docs say fences cannot be taller than 4 feet, must be a specific design/material/color, etc and cannot be forward of the rear edge of the house as in surround ones backyard. Try surrounding your property with an 8 foot chain link fence and see what happens.
Yep, another reason 'not' to live in a HOA.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:51 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Yep, another reason 'not' to live in a HOA.
HOA = two-edged sword. You may not be able to have an 8' fence but your neighbor won't be able to store 6 junk cars on his front lawn either. Reasonable HOA's can be a good thing. (I recognize that some folks consider "reasonable HOA's" to be an oxymoron)

Old 05-04-2017, 09:47 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localhero View Post
hoa = two-edged sword. You may not be able to have an 8' fence but your neighbor won't be able to store 6 junk cars on his front lawn either. reasonable hoa's can be a good thing. (i recognize that some folks consider "reasonable hoa's" to be an oxymoron) :d
^^^^^^this!

Old 05-05-2017, 06:31 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
I'm just saying you are just living scared. I have lived in several HOA's in neighborhoods I have lived in Charleston. Many of them seem to have nothing to do and need 'To get a life' instead of whining about violations in the neighborhood, (Headed to Beach sign on front door warning, towel over fence drying warning, etc) ridiculous things.
I am simply saying don't live in fear.
Since this is the internet, I have even added a porch on a new home without a permit.
If I wanted a generator outside, I would find a way to get one and hide it with shrubbery or something. Do not let the HOA scare you.
I agree with many things they do to protect the neighborhood and keep people from parking cars in the front yard or letting the grass grow two feet high.
But, some of the things are ridiculous. Get the Generator you want, and plant plants in front of it!!

Old 05-05-2017, 09:30 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I'm just saying you are just living scared. I have lived in several HOA's in neighborhoods I have lived in Charleston. Many of them seem to have nothing to do and need 'To get a life' instead of whining about violations in the neighborhood, (Headed to Beach sign on front door warning, towel over fence drying warning, etc) ridiculous things.
I am simply saying don't live in fear.
Since this is the internet, I have even added a porch on a new home without a permit.
If I wanted a generator outside, I would find a way to get one and hide it with shrubbery or something. Do not let the HOA scare you.
I agree with many things they do to protect the neighborhood and keep people from parking cars in the front yard or letting the grass grow two feet high.
But, some of the things are ridiculous. Get the Generator you want, and plant plants in front of it!!
Chances are it's allowed anyway. The risk is doing first and asking forgiveness later is risking yanking it back out later.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:42 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Chances are it's allowed anyway. The risk is doing first and asking forgiveness later is risking yanking it back out later.
Ha! I would put it in and tell them I can't take it out now! Sorry! I will plant a Palm tree in front of it....

Another HOA rule I can never understand for those of you in Carolina Bay...
Why can you not have a 6 ft privacy fence??! What is the use of having a 4 ft fence. It gives no privacy whatsoever, for people that do not have pets.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:35 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Ha! I would put it in and tell them I can't take it out now! Sorry! I will plant a Palm tree in front of it....

Why can you not have a 6 ft privacy fence??! What is the use of having a 4 ft fence. It gives no privacy whatsoever, for people that do not have pets.
That won't work. There's no financial risk to the HOA if cost you too much to take it out. If it bothers a neighbor enough, and the HOA lets it slide, the HOA can get sued for not enforcing their own rules.

All that drama is pretty easy to avoid. Before you buy a house, read the convenents and look for things you don't agree with. If you want a basketball hoop in your yard and they don't allow basketball hoops, then buy somewhere else.

The 4 ft fence thing is common around here. Probably because 6 ft fences sometimes look tacky when packed in a neighborhood. A lot of neighborhoods encourage using landscape screening instead to class it up a bit.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:40 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,367 times
Quote:

Not all of CB has this rule. Everyone in Bridgewater has a 6 footer. Hundreds of homes.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:41 PM

35 posts, read 32,861 times
How nervy of people to tell others what they can and can't do with the property that they are not only paying for, but paying insurance on, taxes on, utilities, cost of maintenance, etc. Most city/town ordinances are for safety. Most HOA ordinances are for jerks. Luckily, our HOA board members are good people. I'd rather have a person of good character living next door to me with six junk cars than to have a pompous you know what who worries only about themselves and their precious grass. Good grief! If someone told me that I couldn't leave my garage door open, I'd laugh my butt off at them... I can't believe those people expect to be taken seriously. It's no wonder there are so many screwed up families today. Too many spending too much time worrying about other people instead of worrying about what's going on inside of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area