Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 09:48 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times

Advertisements

^ it is a completion. That is why it starts at exit 10 and not exit 1. I dont get your speed limit comment. The minimum speed limit on interstates is 45. What is around there that wouldnt let people go 45 MPH? Jagged mountains? Even on interstates through the mountains you can go 45, so I dont get where youre going with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 11:20 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
Face it. If the 526 extension were an effective traffic solution, there's no way the state could take back the money.
that... no. That is not how it works.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
What is around there that wouldnt let people go 45 MPH? Jagged mountains?
Politicians.

But, as to whether the extension would be designated as an "interstate" or not -- it depends on the speed limit it is designed for.

If the road is designed for 70mph and the politicians arbitrarily set the speed limit at 45, I think it could still qualify as an interstate highway.

But if the road is designed for 45 mph and the speed limit is 45 mph, it will definitely not be one.

Last edited by le roi; 12-21-2015 at 11:34 AM..

Old 12-21-2015, 02:49 PM

204 posts, read 184,580 times
Part of the extension has a 35 mph speed limit. It is very similar to the stretch in Mt Pleasant that runs between 17 and Coleman Blvd which is a business spur. Doesn't matter anyway. That piece of pork is dead.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
Part of the extension has a 35 mph speed limit. It is very similar to the stretch in Mt Pleasant that runs between 17 and Coleman Blvd which is a business spur. Doesn't matter anyway. That piece of pork is dead.
Thats not literal 526 as it has stoplights and side roads. Freeways are limited access. And its not 35 mph, but 40. So which part of the actual 526 has a 35mph limit?

Once its completed, itll connect the JI connector with exit ten. So you expect the road from exit 3 to exit 10 to be 35mph with stop lights, while the rest is 55 with limited access? That defeats the purpose of the highway.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Thats not literal 526 as it has stoplights and side roads. Freeways are limited access. And its not 35 mph, but 40. So which part of the actual 526 has a 35mph limit?

highway.

Uhm, what part of this are you not following? The extension also would not literally be part of 526. It also has stoplights and at-grade intersections. Its speed limits are 45 and 35 mph.

One constant about this debate is how uninformed and loud the 526 proponents have been. Why did we beat you? #1, we know the facts. #2, the facts are on our side.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
that... no. That is not how it works.
Actually, that is how it works. Imagine if an upstate politician wanted to take the money set aside for replacing the Cooper River Bridge, a vitally important project ranked #1 on the state priority list. No amount of political capital could provide cover for such a move.

Now take the 526 EXT, which is ranked #15 on the tri-county priority list, is not ranked AT ALL on the statewide priority list, does not help traffic from the port, does not help Boeing, Volvo, or Daimler, has been absolutely ripped apart by both the EPA and the Federal Highway Administration. Then there's the common knowledge at the statehouse that the project was pork pushed through by Bobby Harrell and Glenn McConnell. It is easy for the next top dog to take money from that project, because it reeks of waste and corruption. I'm not saying Leatherman is better than Harrell, but the pure stupidity of the 526 EXT gives him plenty of political cover.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:32 PM

I admit Im not following, because Ive never heard this before. The 526 completion is supposed to be a normal completion. Where are you getting this at-grade info? If this portion of the highway is an extension, then why does 526 start at exit 10?

May I ask why you personally dont want 526?

Last edited by Jandrew5; 12-21-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I admit Im not following, because Ive never heard this before. The 526 completion is supposed to be a normal completion.

May I ask why you personally dont want 526?
I think it's obvious from my posts why I am personally against it. If you haven't heard this basic information before, then you don't know what the 526 extension entails. Don't feel bad. Most of your comrades have no idea either. It's very late in the game to learn basic facts about a dead pork project, but for the heck of it, I'll copy and paste something from the SCDOT's FAQ for 526 EXT. Every single one of these intersections is at-grade, except for the ones at Folly, and if I remember correctly, Riley Road. Those 2 were originally planned to be at-grade until County Council decided to make them overpasses, which is part of the cost overrun since those overpasses were not funded by the Infrastructure Bank.

Without further ado:

What is the predicted path the new road will take?

SCDOT’s Recommended Preferred Alternative extends from U.S. 17 across the Stono River to Johns Island as a four-lane parkway facility with low speeds (i.e. 35 to 45 mph). This alternative provides two connector roads onto Johns Island. These connector roads would tie into River Road north of Maybank Highway (between Rushland Landing Road and Penny Lane) and River Road south of Maybank Highway (in the vicinity of Cane Slash Road) and would include improvements to the Maybank Highway/River Road intersection. On James Island, the parkway would pass through the northern edge of the James Island County Park. After intersecting Riverland Drive, the parkway continues northeast, south of the Regatta Apartments, Carmike James Island Cinema and the U.S. Post Office, tying into the existing James Island Connector/Folly Road interchange. Access is provided to Central Park Road via Riley Road and Up on the Hill Road.

Within the James Island County Park, a minor shift in the alignment moved the parkway closer to the northern boundary of the park to minimize disruptions to park facilities. SCDOT’s Recommended Preferred Alternative includes a multi-use path along one side of the parkway for its entire length to accommodate bikes and pedestrians. The multi-use path associated with SCDOT’s Recommended Preferred Alternative provides additional connectivity to the West Ashley Greenway and the James Island County Park.

(Retrieved from: SCDOT - Mark Clark Expressway - Questions )

Old 12-21-2015, 04:20 PM

You know you could reply without all the snark. No its not obvious from your posts. You have 10, nor have I seen them all.

I'm not reading all of that. All I want to know is why you're personally against it. And I would still like to know from you, why does 526 start at exit 10?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area