Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 07:28 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
$500-700 million is crazy. Yep, nix 526.

And just build 726 instead.
Tried to rep ya ... too funny...ahhh, original thought. Who says college doesn't promote critical thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 08:16 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,027 times
Thanks for the replies
Charleston is behind the times
I was just passing through Atlanta for work and rode the metro rail from the airport very nice and fast
Was in va beach over Labor Day they hAve a light rail too
1 more year in charleston if.no road expansion and road develop to Johns island I'm leaving.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:19 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
I doubt youll see anything significant in the next year. Even if 526 started tomorrow, it wouldnt be open until 2018-2020 at the earliest.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:30 AM

606 posts, read 730,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
Right now, the state Department of Transportation is reassessing the cost of the road — and it could end up topping $700 million, according to some estimates. That would be more expensive than the Ravenel Bridge.

And as the price goes up, the state's commitment is dropping. Out of that $558 million the State Infrastructure Bank has agreed to spend, only about $420 million has been approved by the state Budget and Control Board.

Nix 526, use the money elsewhere. No one is willing to cover legal fees, it's an uphill battle that you have been losing.
The growth will still happen bringing more tax revenue and eventually a majority of voters who will elect leaders to build up our states crumbling roads and bridges. The fact is that it's going to happen in spite of a vocal few that oppose every new building, road, bridge or business that is proposed.

How much will it help the environment to have cars and trucks idling for hours each day as they commute? How many lawyers will build new 5 million dollar beachfront homes on Kiawah with the millions spent on litigating new road projects that WILL happen?

Old 09-15-2015, 10:33 AM

606 posts, read 730,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Thanks for the replies
Charleston is behind the times
I was just passing through Atlanta for work and rode the metro rail from the airport very nice and fast
Was in va beach over Labor Day they hAve a light rail too
1 more year in charleston if.no road expansion and road develop to Johns island I'm leaving.
It's not just Charleston it is the entire state of SC. All the growing regions on the coast have the same traffic issues and the upstate and Columbia seem to be surrounded by orange traffic barrels as they get new roads built. While Booby Harrell and his cronies were able to get a share of our taxes back for much needed projects, the state as a whole is behind on infrastructure. They could start by raising the gas tax to similar rates as NC and GA.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:42 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
The growth will still happen bringing more tax revenue and eventually a majority of voters who will elect leaders to build up our states crumbling roads and bridges. The fact is that it's going to happen in spite of a vocal few that oppose every new building, road, bridge or business that is proposed.

How much will it help the environment to have cars and trucks idling for hours each day as they commute? How many lawyers will build new 5 million dollar beachfront homes on Kiawah with the millions spent on litigating new road projects that WILL happen?
700 Million now, 1 billion + in the near future. Transportation projects are ranked in our state based on necessity. 526 isn't in the top 10.

Since you love jokes:

How do you get elected for office in CHS County? Tell the people you will complete 526. (Been hearing it since the 80s).

Old 09-15-2015, 05:45 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
It's not just Charleston it is the entire state of SC. The state as a whole is behind on infrastructure. They could start by raising the gas tax to similar rates as NC and GA.
Everyone picks on SC (for good reason), but this is really a nationwide problem. Even with all the highways LA has, they still can't handle everyone flocking there, and theyre being pretty slow on their rail expansion.

Houston, DFW, and Austin have focused primarily on highways and has built a new one what seems like everyday, but traffic is still a mess. We all know the Atlanta story, DC is a mess even with their wide road network, if you think the Charleston bottlenecks are bad then don't look at San Francisco.

It's not just big cities, Savannah has a simpler road design and things still get messy there. If you go into the Lexington or Fort Mill threads, thats all people complain about is traffic. I-85 gets bumpy in GA and NC too, and I-95 is just poor altogether. Outside of the NE, Chicago, and some outliers, pub trans seems to be neglected and still limited. Marta and Miami Metrorail seem huge until you actually see how much land and ridership they take up for the whole metro. And our potholes are nothing compared to the northest and northern Midwest. Those are craters lol.

The states are just not that focused on transportation infrastructure unfortunately. The federal govt needs to draw some attention to this issue and get states to start taking action imo. Charlestons not the only place thats growing too fast for its roads, but that doesnt give us an excuse.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:14 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I doubt youll see anything significant in the next year. Even if 526 started tomorrow, it wouldnt be open until 2018-2020 at the earliest.
For work, I just returned from Munich, Germany in Europe. It was way ahead of the Southeast U.S. over there tech wise. They had a nice light rail going from the Airport to Downtown Munich that went 200 km. It was nice! I rode about 30 minutes and it seemed the Air rail went on for miles, at least 15 miles or more and I got off to see downtown. It cost me 11 or 12 Euros round trip - about this is about 14 U.S. dollars, as the exchange with U.S. and Europe is not favorable.
Anyway, the point is it made me think of Charleston - no light rail, no 526 completion, old roads with potholes and dirt roads going into neighborhoods still!
Hope to see some advancement into the future in Charleston, or I will have to fly into the future in another Southeastern City.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:02 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
For work, I just returned from Munich, Germany in Europe. It was way ahead of the Southeast U.S. over there tech wise. They had a nice light rail going from the Airport to Downtown Munich that went 200 km. It was nice! I rode about 30 minutes and it seemed the Air rail went on for miles, at least 15 miles or more and I got off to see downtown. It cost me 11 or 12 Euros round trip - about this is about 14 U.S. dollars, as the exchange with U.S. and Europe is not favorable.
Anyway, the point is it made me think of Charleston - no light rail, no 526 completion, old roads with potholes and dirt roads going into neighborhoods still!
Hope to see some advancement into the future in Charleston, or I will have to fly into the future in another Southeastern City.
Hey now. Thought we wanted an 'old historic city'. Living in the pass: No new highways, old bus transportation system, dirt roads, pot holes, no new cruise ship terminal, no tall buildings, not in my back yard, and on and on and on.
Just kidding, but you get what I mean.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:38 AM

515 posts, read 482,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
700 Million now, 1 billion + in the near future. Transportation projects are ranked in our state based on necessity. 526 isn't in the top 10.

Since you love jokes:

How do you get elected for office in CHS County? Tell the people you will complete 526. (Been hearing it since the 80s).
Vote for Bernie Sanders if you want to fix our crumbling roads and bridges!! #FeelTheBERN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area