Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 06:53 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Please face the fact that you are in the minority with the other environmentalists and rich, that do not speak for US the Majority!
I keep hearing this and have to ask an honest question. Where is the data that the majority support extending 526?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:45 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Just look at the the majority that work, and use the roads in Charleston County. Now look at the rich, and those that do not work currently, and then the environmentalists that bury their heads in the sand. Now, you found the majority of us.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:59 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I keep hearing this and have to ask an honest question. Where is the data that the majority support extending 526?
Interestingly enough, I somehow made it onto the rolls of political opinion polling (always exit polled, etc). Was polled on 526 and the half cent sales tax/toll road idea last night. I said I supported finishing 526 but wasn't in support of the proposed sales tax idea right now. Mainly because of the additional language it involved that would allow it to be used for something other than just road construction. They didn't ask me that part though (about why I didn't support the tax). It includes the same exact language that was used in the 2014 half cent sales tax increase as well as the road construction. From what I've seen, the 2014 sales tax has done diddly squat to help with congestion because of the same vague catch all language. If politicians are serious about road construction, they should allow only road construction and nothing else to be used with this tax.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:04 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
The 1/2 sales tax we have used in Charleston County has funded many great Road Wise Projects. Just look around for the Road Wise signs. It has been well used! Another 1/2 cent sales tax is the answer for the completion of 526, just like in the past. I was at the City Council meeting last night, and the completion of 526 is either going to be funded with the 1/2 cent tax or a toll road like EZ pass. I am very thankful for the Charleston City Council and Mayor Tecklenburg!

Charleston City Council votes to support of I-526 - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Old 04-27-2016, 01:52 PM

204 posts, read 184,698 times
Quote:
You are one of the few environmentalists, or rich people that live downtown, that don't care about the vast majority of people that suffer in traffic everyday.!
Whatever. You throw around wild assumptions and then wonder why people don't take people like you seriously when it comes to spending hundreds of millions of dollars. Case in point, the claim that I-526 will save lives in the case of a hurricane evacuation. That's total nonsense, as anyone who's ever been stuck in the I-26 parking lot during an evacuation would know. But that's just me saying that. Can we do a little research and find out what people think? How about NOAA? They wrote a letter about I-526, saying that hurricane evacuation should not be used as a reason to build it.

Here is their letter: http://www.scdot.org/MCE/pdfs/DEIS/A...dixF_Part3.pdf

Actually, if you have the fortitude to inform yourself about I-526, you should peruse all the letters submitted from state and federal agencies. They will open your eyes to the slipshod way this project was designed, its ineffectiveness as a transportation solution, and its impact on our environment. Or you could continue to believe your own assumptions and wonder why nobody takes them seriously except pandering politicians.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I was at the City Council meeting last night, and the completion of 526 is either going to be funded with the 1/2 cent tax or a toll road like EZ pass. I am very thankful for the Charleston City Council and Mayor Tecklenburg!
Seriously? How can the city place a toll on a road they don't own? The city is not a party to the contract nor will they ever be. Mayor Tecklenburg himself called it a Hail Mary pass and said he needs to talk to the city's lawyers. Yeah mayor, that might be a good idea.

As political theater, it made sense, but that's about it.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:06 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
There really will be little environmental impact. The entirety of construction is within a heavily populated coastal city and a raised roadway (which it will be for something like 60% of its run) has less impact than a road on grade. Also the option is to turn all routes onto Johns Island into a parking lot with idling cars- and that includes Maybank, Folly Rd and 17 just to get to the island. The Wappoo Cut was a much bigger environmental intervention than this road will be.

Houses are being built regardless of the additional on island routes because even in traffic hell Johns Island is as accessible to downtown as Summerville or Goose Creek. So the idea that withholding 526 will stall construction is not logical.

I am beginning to think opposition to this project amounts to some type of civic martyr complex.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:27 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
There really will be little environmental impact. The entirety of construction is within a heavily populated coastal city and a raised roadway (which it will be for something like 60% of its run) has less impact than a road on grade. Also the option is to turn all routes onto Johns Island into a parking lot with idling cars- and that includes Maybank, Folly Rd and 17 just to get to the island. The Wappoo Cut was a much bigger environmental intervention than this road will be.

Houses are being built regardless of the additional on island routes because even in traffic hell Johns Island is as accessible to downtown as Summerville or Goose Creek. So the idea that withholding 526 will stall construction is not logical.

I am beginning to think opposition to this project amounts to some type of civic martyr complex.
I dont know why people are say if they finish 526 its going to bring in more people, more traffic more ect. If you look the samething has been said 10 years ago and yet people still move and traffic gets worse with no highway. People are going to move no matter what.

Samething has been said thats too much money. Its not your money. Its the state money and its going to get spent no matter what. If that money is lost its going to another city in sc. Not charleston area

Traffic is bad over there but people from dc and nyc not going to pay it no mind because they seen alot worse. So they will move. Charleston needs to blow up all the bridges going that way and leave them on the island while the rest of the city builds.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
There really will be little environmental impact.
Facts to back this up? The EPA doesn't agree with you. Neither does the SC Fish & Wildlife Service.

I like a good debate, but I've yet to meet a I-526 supporter who has taken 30 minutes, maybe an hour tops, to become informed by reading the official documents projects like this live or die on.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:55 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
Facts to back this up? The EPA doesn't agree with you. Neither does the SC Fish & Wildlife Service.

I like a good debate, but I've yet to meet a I-526 supporter who has taken 30 minutes, maybe an hour tops, to become informed by reading the official documents projects like this live or die on.
What's unenvironmental about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area