Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 05:44 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
The CCL and their NIMBY supporters goal is to delay finishing 526 until it is becomes cost prohibitive. They know the project is not dead. The $700 million today becomes $800 million tomorrow and on and on. 526 could and should have been completed 30 years ago for probably around $200-300 million. Maybe less.

526 will get completed someday due to relentless pressure from tax paying residents that will drown out the fake arguments and deception from the CCL and their NIMBY friends.

But the real blame lies at the steps of Charleston County Council. Another story of disappointment and ineffective leadership. Also, former Mayor Riley and Chas City Council being late in coming to the party did not help. Shame on them all.

Get ready for higher gas taxes, higher sales taxes and tolls. Yes, it will take all three.

Thank you, Dana Beach.
I can't agree with you more, but this time I do believe that this so called CCL like most of the rest of South Carolina are just opposed to "Charleston". They figure they can stop the growth here so their state capital can remain the largest city in the state. Silly, yes, but that's the way they think.
Same kind of thinking when they started another state supported medical college in this poor state. Instead of developing 'one' great medical school, they wanted Columbia to have their own. And because of that the MUSC lost a very good burn hospital. Only two states in the union with two state supported medical schools, La. and SC and both are poor, as if they can afford them.
Bottom line I-526 "will' be completed, but the cost will be so great it may parallel Big Dig in Boston.

Yep; Thank Dana Beach too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 06:11 AM

606 posts, read 730,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
Well, Houston is in a class of its own.
Houston grew as a port city and energy center because it wasn't afraid to build much needed infrastructure.

Charleston is no longer a quaint southern town. Mayor Riley unleashed a level of growth and popularity that may not stop for another 40 years. If saving John' Island is the goal, it's too late. People will sell their land to the highest bidder which as we've seen is usually a real estate developer. It's not the developer's fault that land is available.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:56 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
The conservationists who are against irreparable harm to our islands and our community. Those who believe it was a colossal waste of taxpayer money.
John's Island and outlying areas will continue to be developed. Your solution for dealing with traffic is what, exactly?

Old 05-30-2016, 07:08 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,547 times
Seen this for years. Big words, little substance.

Keep on dreamin', ext-526 is done.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:18 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
John's Island and outlying areas will continue to be developed. Your solution for dealing with traffic is what, exactly?
I've specifically mentioned this in other 526 posts, do a search. Or don't.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:38 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Let me know when there are plans to widen Main Road and Maybank Highway to six lanes each. I know four lanes for each is likely and are somewhere in the planning stages.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
Seen this for years. Big words, little substance.

Keep on dreamin', ext-526 is done.
Interstate 526 is not done yet. It will cost more to complete it now.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:01 AM

58 posts, read 55,360 times
The problem is only not that 526 will not be completed. The problem ls that it won't be completed, the bike lane over the Ashley won't be installed, the mess at 26/526 won't be addressed, CARTA won't be improved, new transit lines won't be added, etc etc

Hell I was against 526 but it would have been nice to see the state of SC accomplish some transportation project that they set their mind to. Is it the ideal solution, in my opinion? Hell no...but the lack of ability to move forward on any infrastructure project is maddening.

Keep bragging about your low gas taxes SC, but next time you complain about 526 not being completed or the perpetual traffic nightmares, remember how lucky you are to be paying among the lowest gas taxes in the country :rollseyes:

Edit: I lived in Charleston for a few years. Could never understand the infatuation with it despite the horrible transportation system, constant flooding, and disparity between rich/poor (ie: white and black). Luckily for y'all, that's one less northerner driving up your rents and clogging up your highways, but sadly for y'all, your problems regarding traffic and segregation/separation of services is gonna be with you for generations as long as there's this resistance to change. If it makes you feel better, I let the door hit me in the a$$ on the way out, but I still want to see the city be successful. Sadly I think you guys are digging a huge hole with some of this stuff. 6 lane highways are a solution, but they aren't the only solution.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobjefferson View Post
Keep bragging about your low gas taxes SC, but next time you complain about 526 not being completed or the perpetual traffic nightmares, remember how lucky you are to be paying among the lowest gas taxes in the country :rollseyes:
I doubt raising the gas tax will completely address all transportation needs in South Carolina.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:10 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobjefferson View Post
The problem is only not that 526 will not be completed. The problem ls that it won't be completed, the bike lane over the Ashley won't be installed, the mess at 26/526 won't be addressed, CARTA won't be improved, new transit lines won't be added, etc etc

Hell I was against 526 but it would have been nice to see the state of SC accomplish some transportation project that they set their mind to. Is it the ideal solution, in my opinion? Hell no...but the lack of ability to move forward on any infrastructure project is maddening.

Edit: I lived in Charleston for a few years. Could never understand the infatuation with it despite the horrible transportation system, constant flooding, and disparity between rich/poor (ie: white and black). Luckily for y'all, that's one less northerner driving up your rents and clogging up your highways, but sadly for y'all, your problems regarding traffic and segregation/separation of services is gonna be with you for generations as long as there's this resistance to change. If it makes you feel better, I let the door hit me in the a$$ on the way out, but I still want to see the city be successful. Sadly I think you guys are digging a huge hole with some of this stuff. 6 lane highways are a solution, but they aren't the only solution.
It is by most metrics successful. It's just a successful city with traffic problems that come with it.
It is frustrating that adding a few more miles of interstate is a decades long project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area