Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 10:36 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
What is the above? My post or something else?
I quoted your post to mean yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 10:38 AM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
I expect to see you pushing for the new I-26 lanes then to solve the much worse problem. I'm sure 6 lanes each direction would solve it.

Regarding when I will agree to bringing 526 to Johns Island, That answer is Never?
6 lanes each direction..... you're just being facetious now. They are adding a land in either direction between East Montague and Heriot st though. So it'll go from 3 to 4. The notion that driving from Summerville to Downtown should take as long as driving from John's Island to Downtown is completely insane though seeing as Summerville is as close to Goose Creek as Johns island is to Downtown.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:43 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
I quoted your post to mean yours.
Glad we could finally somewhat get on a same page.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
6 lanes each direction..... you're just being facetious now. They are adding a land in either direction between East Montague and Heriot st though. So it'll go from 3 to 4. The notion that driving from Summerville to Downtown should take as long as driving from John's Island to Downtown is completely insane though seeing as Summerville is as close to Goose Creek as Johns island is to Downtown.
Come back in 10 years and the I-26 problem will be the same. Many days per month requiring 90 minutes for a 25 minute drive. Hopefully Summerville and Goose Creek will eventually get jobs for their residents.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:04 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Come back in 10 years and the I-26 problem will be the same. Many days per month requiring 90 minutes for a 25 minute drive.
Actually in 10 years, it could possibly get a little better as we develop. I know, its a paradox. One big problem is the employment centers aren't geographically favorable. Most commute jobs are situated downtown and along N Chas.

One way to improve Summerville, Mt Pleasant, JI, and elsewhere traffic is to stop having to commute so far. Nexton is starting it, and Volvo is on the way. And Boeing is not that far. The more jobs centers that actually get closer/placed in these city thanks to projects like Nexton, the less people will have to rely on 26 to get to and from work, hopefully.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:13 AM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
Actually in 10 years, it could possibly get a little better as we develop. I know, its a paradox. One big problem is the employment centers aren't geographically favorable. Most commute jobs are situated downtown and along N Chas.

One way to improve Summerville, Mt Pleasant, JI, and elsewhere traffic is to stop having to commute so far. Nexton is starting it, and Volvo is on the way. And Boeing is not that far. The more jobs centers that actually get closer/placed in these city thanks to projects like Nexton, the less people will have to rely on 26 to get to and from work, hopefully.
Daimler as well.... Though I do wonder where they are putting the Aeronautical center for trident, the article said on campus but I don't think there's enough room.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Maybe if growth stopped, but with the current trajectory I bet I 26 might even get worse.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:15 AM

204 posts, read 184,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Who thinks the voters of Charleston County will sign off on another tax increase?
Last year, Summey himself said their was little appetite for a tax increase. He's done a terrible job pushing it, alienating many people who supported it in the beginning. I almost wonder if he really wants it. He's either playing a political game or he really is stupid.

I'm kind of looking forward to the end of the chess match between Summey and Leatherman. Summey has already blown every opportunity. I have a feeling Leatherman is leading him around by the nose now. If Leatherman gets him to sign off on a plan that has almost no chance of succeeding, the Summey won't be able to sue. I guarantee that Leatherman will put in a no-sue clause in any agreement they make.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
The more jobs centers that actually get closer/placed in these city thanks to projects like Nexton, the less people will have to rely on 26 to get to and from work, hopefully.
Even if they commute in the opposite direction on I-26, it would help.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:43 PM

Looks like Summey has been caught lying again. This is from a P&C article:

"Sen. Hugh Leatherman, R-Florence, a member of the SIB board ... said he thought the I-526 project was “dead” and that he would “commit only to an open-mind consideration when this comes before the board — and that is up to our chairman, Mr. [Vince] Graham.”

And Sen. Leatherman scoffed at reports from some Charleston County Council members that Chairman Summey had indicated Leatherman would support the final phases of the project with state funding. He said he had never discussed such funding with Summey or anyone else."

526-port deal leads back to future - Post and Courier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area