Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2016, 06:18 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,430,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
When people say Johns Island will be built out or become completely suburban, they don't understand what we've accomplished over the last fifteen years to make sure that sort of sprawl never happens. And by we, I also mean people who support 526, like Leon Stavrinakis.

First of all, there is an urban growth boundary. Only a fourth of the island is inside the boundary. Zoning outside the boundary is rural. More importantly,Johns Island doesn't have the water to support large-scale development. The plan to extend a large water pipe to Johns Island was defeated about seven years ago and a much smaller water pipe was installed instead.

When you hear people say there are tens of thousands of homes planned for Johns Island, you know they are full of it. There isn't water available for nearly that many homes.
What part of Johns Island is inside the Urban Growth Boundary? I believe it is the area of River & Maybank. This seems to be where all the major development is planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 07:30 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,352,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
When people say Johns Island will be built out or become completely suburban, they don't understand what we've accomplished over the last fifteen years to make sure that sort of sprawl never happens. And by we, I also mean people who support 526, like Leon Stavrinakis.

First of all, there is an urban growth boundary. Only a fourth of the island is inside the boundary. Zoning outside the boundary is rural. More importantly,Johns Island doesn't have the water to support large-scale development. The plan to extend a large water pipe to Johns Island was defeated about seven years ago and a much smaller water pipe was installed instead.

When you hear people say there are tens of thousands of homes planned for Johns Island, you know they are full of it. There isn't water available for nearly that many homes.
None of those things can't be overcome by demand and money.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:31 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,216 times
You'd be surprised what people will do for money that they wouldn't do for love.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:34 PM

204 posts, read 184,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
What part of Johns Island is inside the Urban Growth Boundary? I believe it is the area of River & Maybank. This seems to be where all the major development is planned.
That's basically it. There is also an area close to Kiawah and Seabrook inside the boundary.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:37 AM

216 posts, read 299,654 times
http://www.charleston-sc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/513

"Johns Island (approximately 13 sq. mi.)
Johns Island has the most rural character of
all the land masses in Charleston. Situated
within the urban growth boundary at the
City’s edge, Johns Island is appropriately
dominated by lower density residential uses
and agricultural designations. Conservation is
the largest zoning category with almost 37%
of the land area. Light Industrial has nearly
14% of the land area, but this is attributed to
the large industrial areas around the Johns
Island Airport. Johns Island has seen a great
number of new developments approved in
the past decade, although the recent economic
down turn has affected them all, by
either preventing any construction of leaving
unsold units in recent developments."

Also other maps:
http://www.charlestoncounty.org/depa...ment%20Map.pdf

http://www.charlestoncounty.org/depa...nd-Use-Map.pdf (Note the LARGE BLUE Planned Developments on Johns Island, one I know in the Northern end was to be named St Johns Lakes I believe)
Attached Thumbnails
Charleston County people for completing I-526-urbangroth.jpg  

Old 10-31-2016, 07:39 AM

Thanks Unbalanced.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:22 AM

There's a meeting today as one of the last ditch efforts to complete I-526. Actually, it was supposed to be private, but somehow leaked to the media. The City Mayor T and Rep Limehouse will try to make an effort to work out a deal and just submit a plan to complete Phase I for now. Phase I connects west Ashley and Johns Island. They may try to separate from the SIB (State Infrastructure Board), ask for the money the county invested, and ask to build it themselves without the SIB. Anyway, I hope a bit of hope today, as I had given up on I-526.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:47 PM

96 posts, read 73,577 times
So i'm generally against the 526 completion, although I'm somewhat of a "roadgeek" and I must admit there is something annoying about not following theough with the original plans, especially in a case like this where a neighborhood won't be destroyed in the process (thankfully that era is behind us).

But I also like biking and new urbanism and sustainability and the environment and I'm peeved that some want to spend nearly a billion on this highway but refuse to throw a bone to the cyclists who need to cross the water too.

Which leads me to this hypothetical proposition for the purpose of discussion with the likes of Silver Fox who is such a fan of this project (understandably so, he has a very personal stake):

What if the only way to guarantee completion of 526 was to, in effect, truncate the final segment of expressway (the JI connector) and turn it into a full urban boulevard with bike lanes and sidewalks and an enforceable speed limit of no more than 35-40 mph for cars?

My logic for this idea is as follows:

-the expressway will already end at Calhoun Street, necessitating a lower speed limit in the last 2 miles at least, and probably already at 35 a mile before the expressway ends.

-this would be a compromise on the Legare crossing for bikes if that project ultimately doesn't pan out. Yes it would make it harder to get to West A but then again it would be easier to get to JI and most importantly, a safe crossing would exist for peds and cyclists.

-IMO, the view from that bridge is the best view of Charleston. I am sure many others will agree with me. Shouldn't we all slow down and take the time to appreciate it? Even if it's the 1000th time it doesn't become any less beautiful. Imagine if one could take a sunset stroll with those marshes and that view of the city.

Any takers? Would you support a project that allows you to gain considerable time on the front end of your commute to downtown while delaying you just a little at the end of the trip to see your project to "near" completion and throw a bone to those of us who are only asking for a safe way to cross?

Old 12-14-2016, 12:54 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,352,148 times
As a bicyclist who rides Carta and my bike to work daily, I have never understood those in the bike community that feels the populace should fund major work to address the .01% of us that ride. I love bike lanes and funding areas for me to ride, but I'm also realistic that I'm clearly in the minority and when money is tight I just can't justify hollering "What about me!".

Old 12-14-2016, 12:55 PM

Steel, the only part they will consider now is the Phase I segment, from West Ashley to Johns Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area