Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 08:54 AM

5,715 posts, read 4,680,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Great news, closer than ever to completion of 526 to the Islands. Thank you Governor McMaster for helping us over in Charleston.
The rules changed and the SIB reports to the governor now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 10:59 AM

6,416 posts, read 1,426,740 times
Not usually, but the Governor appointed 2 people to the SIB. They did not vote they way he wanted the vote to go, he is having a mediation meeting with the SIB at the Governor's place to attempt to get the SIB to pass the completion. The prior vote with the SIB was 4-3, so it is likely he will get the SIB to pass the resolution for completion of 526 once and for all.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:31 AM

22 posts, read 13,770 times
Quote:
Who here is for I-526 completion over Johns Island after the recent turmoil on Johns Island with flooding on Main St. & 17. People sat for hours to and from work, some could not even go to work. Johns Island was a mess. If people sat for 3 hours like last week in a hurricane we would have many dead from not being to leave Charleston. Doesn't this show how Evacuation Routes for Hurricane would be if we were hit with Cat 4 or 5, many would die it seems.

I live on Johns island near River Rd & Maybank Rd, and if they cannot finish I-526 here I am considering moving away to another City. Johns Island is building a lot of new neighborhoods and they are not stopping.

As construction continues, flooding will get worse. Look to West Ashley for example. Shadowmoss floods like crazy, not because it's on the Ashley River, but because there's nowhere for the water to runoff to. As homes (and slabs, driveways, roads, etc) continue to get built, the flooding will get worse. Besides the 526 completion, John's Islanders should be discussing how to fix their drainage problems and slowing down progress some until infrastucture can catch up.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp-n-Grits View Post
As construction continues, flooding will get worse. Look to West Ashley for example. Shadowmoss floods like crazy, not because it's on the Ashley River, but because there's nowhere for the water to runoff to. As homes (and slabs, driveways, roads, etc) continue to get built, the flooding will get worse. Besides the 526 completion, John's Islanders should be discussing how to fix their drainage problems and slowing down progress some until infrastucture can catch up.
That's fine, but we need 526 completion now, so the infrastructure can catch up, and then we can worry about the flooding...

I feel bad for the people in Shadowmoss, but there is still plenty of land for water to runoff to on Johns Island....

Old 08-03-2018, 06:14 AM

22 posts, read 13,770 times
Quote:
That's fine, but we need 526 completion now, so the infrastructure can catch up, and then we can worry about the flooding...

I feel bad for the people in Shadowmoss, but there is still plenty of land for water to runoff to on Johns Island....
I agree that it needs to get completed, I'm not sure that it's going to do a thing for John's Island's flooding issues except give you another artery to clog up when the flooded roads are inop.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:51 PM

Outstanding news that the State infratstructure board has approved i-526 for completion! 5 years overdue. Thanks to Governor Mcmaster, and Senator Senn, and all others that helped the project get approved. Charleston County needs to and will come up with the money and the construction needs to begin soon.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:33 AM

Great News Updated. The State infratstructure board attorney's have formally written to Governor McMaster's attorney and the Charleston County Council in reference to i-526 for completion to iron out the details of the contract. Thanks to Governor Mcmaster, and Senator Senn, and all others that helped the project get approved. Charleston County has come up with the $300 million and the State will contribute $425 Million to the project. This agreement will be finalized around Jan 10, 2019.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:17 AM

The third newsletter has come out. It has taken too long, but it is finally in process. SCDOT Columbia is in charge of the project and there will be public meeting this summer for the project. They have been purchasing the property, doing research on the different possible routes, and going through the process for environmental approval for area - bridges over the wetlands, and Federal approval. Here's the website for information and the timeline:

www.scdotmarkclark.com

Old 02-19-2021, 01:11 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,615 times
jeez last post more than 2 years ago.... and as annoying as it is i'm tempted to say i'd rather they replace the Mt. Pleasant to Danield island bridge first, ahhh well if that infrastructure bill actually happens maybe we'll get something

Old 08-22-2021, 06:43 PM

Yes Sir, has been too, too long for those of us here for the last 20 years. They have completed the hard part, the 2021 SEIS Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement, which is the toughest part. It is available at the Charleston Public library. There are 3 scheduled SCDOT public meetings to take place in the next weeks in August/September. There are SCDOT signs posted on Johns and James island. They will have informational meetings for the Public and they have a great interactive web site talking about the project. There is a timeline as well on the site. Construction will begin in 2024, and hopefully be partially finished in 2024/2025 like the Ravenel Bridge was done a very good job and done in 1 1/2 years! Phase I will be from Citadel Mall, the end of 526 to Johns Island, and the second Phase will be from Johns Island to the James Island Connector. This is the best news in years about the 526 completion (title the extension). These two sites below are very helpful, and the second one is full of interactive information all about the probject.

https://www.scdotmarkclark.com/publichearing

https://gather.cdmsmith.com/v/Ap1P7oVpqXo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area