Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 09:30 AM

25 posts, read 26,662 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to make a scouting trip to the Charleston area in anticipation of retiring there, but we don't want to come until things are pretty much back to normal. What is the situation re: masks, restaurants being open, tourist attractions being open, realtors having open houses, etc. etc.? Any murmurings about closing down due to a 2nd wave? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 05:20 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFR View Post
My husband and I would like to make a scouting trip to the Charleston area in anticipation of retiring there, but we don't want to come until things are pretty much back to normal. What is the situation re: masks, restaurants being open, tourist attractions being open, realtors having open houses, etc. etc.? Any murmurings about closing down due to a 2nd wave? Thank you!
Most beaches, restaurants and shopping are currently open for business with social distancing rules and masks required. That could change soon if we continue to see an uptick in cases that we've been experiencing in the past two weeks. But currently, most places are open for business.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:24 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFR View Post
No *official* word on closing back down due to a 2nd wave but cases are rising quickly in SC and especially Charleston County. No telling what the future holds in that regard. I would hold off for now if the timing is not critical for you.

Some people are wearing masks and many are ignoring the recommendation to do so. While some restaurants are closed, most are open with limited seating and/or outdoor seating and takeout options. Same with most tourist attractions... open with restrictions.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:37 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
While there's no better way than an actual visit, please don't ... not yet.
There's a surge now and not actually a second wave. Just visitors, visitors and visitors ... and businesses eagerly opening with service employees especially eager to return to work. And then an employee is positive; business closes to keep all safe & sanitize premises ... repeat ...
I love this town and miss it. I've driven around & even parked and walked a bit near White Point Gardens. But no restaurant dining for me (yes, curbside takeout). No walking the peninsula for me. A bit of biking. No casual shopping. Maybe there'll be a very early trip to Folly Beach on a weekday soon. I'm limiting, but craving to be out & about. Just not yet.
Go Google! Ask questions here. Visit? It's your life. Be safe.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
I just can't imagine anywhere being a good place to go visit, tour, shop, etc right now.

If you want to plop on a beach, have some good take out, enjoy some local brews/booze through pick up --- maybe find a nice patio (Had tapas and drinks at Barsa's this week end -- what a pleasure -- social distancing, good food, good drink).......

But things aren't 'opened' anywhere completely. Yes businesses are operating but there are policies that have requirements for

Old 06-24-2020, 06:40 AM

Both Isle of Palms and Folly Beach had council meetings yesterday. It was rumored to be about whether the beaches will be closed or not, I was watching both meetings and the issue never came up. So for now, the beaches will remain open. I have heard of a few voluntary closings, like I've heard that Taco Boy on Folly is closing temporarily, but at this time there's no order from the governor or any town leaders to shelter in place.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:45 AM

25 posts, read 26,662 times
Thanks, everyone. Looks like we'll hold off on a trip. Appreciate your input!

Old 07-01-2020, 07:50 AM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
I am looking to travel cross country to visit Charleston and Myrtle Beach next month.

Assuming I am not violating a forum rule, here is a link to a AAA map showing various state travel restrictions. They show basic detail and often point to state websites with more detail. The more you zoom in, the more accurate County detail you can get, where available.

https://gds.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...&sf122295430=1

Old 07-01-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am looking to travel cross country to visit Charleston and Myrtle Beach next month.

Assuming I am not violating a forum rule, here is a link to a AAA map showing various state travel restrictions. They show basic detail and often point to state websites with more detail. The more you zoom in, the more accurate County detail you can get, where available.

https://gds.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...&sf122295430=1
Thanks for the info. We just implemented a mandatory rule to wear masks in public. You need it on standing in line but when you sit down to eat, you can take it off. It is possible to be fined for violating this rule. It's an ever changing environment here in SC.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:03 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Thanks for the info. We just implemented a mandatory rule to wear masks in public. You need it on standing in line but when you sit down to eat, you can take it off. It is possible to be fined for violating this rule. It's an ever changing environment here in SC.
You are welcome.

It is hard to keep up with the rapid changess they keep making. They often don't do a good job of keeping us informed. We have to dig.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area