Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,051 times

Advertisements

Hello all- Currently I live in Florida, looking at an empending lay off. Recently I interviewed with Boeing for an Assembly B position, looking forward to an offer, hopefully. I am hearing 14.00 is a common wage ofer, but also hear that counter offering is possible. Does anyone have any insight if the 14.00 is based on experience/education? Is more being offered to some? Also if anyone is a recent relocate to there for a Boeing position I would like to know if they felt it was a goood move? Considering family/cost of living/crime etc. Any opinion or input is fully appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 04:31 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,343,061 times
I am not a recent transplant, I have lived here for over 20 years but it was one of the best moves I have ever made....

Old 08-08-2010, 05:43 PM

339 posts, read 1,167,686 times
My husband was at KSC for 7 years - we have been in Huntsville for the last 3 years but are going to Charleston, SC now. You will find the weather the same - and you'll have to carry the same level of insurance on your home. Housing is more expensive as are most things. The landscape is very similar, flat land with beaches and wetlands.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:14 PM

92 posts, read 208,599 times
My husband also transferred from KSC to Charleston recently. We do prefer the Charleston area over FL however the cost of living seems to be a bit higher. We've just got a place out in Moncks Corner and really like the area. As has been said FL and SC have a lot of similarities as far as landscape and weather. We are looking forward to slightly cooler winters here than we had in FL.

Crime is everywhere and just like in FL there are pockets in various places no matter where you go. We are pretty happy with our move to FL to SC.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:49 AM

547 posts, read 1,197,615 times
make the move...you'll love it here

Old 08-09-2010, 03:32 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,680,605 times
We just moved here from Seattle, and we are very happy with the move. During transfer negotiiations we were told to expect a much lower cost of living, but we've found it to be about the same. Housing cost are a bit higher, but everything else costs us less. The big difference here versus home is how much housing costs vary by city, so knowing where you want to move to first will help you research costs. Boeing back home was pretty much ruled by their union, so salary was mostly about how long you were there, and not really on experience you brought with you. I know the union is a non issue here, so it's possible salary is more negotiable here if your husband has more experience.
This move has been wonderful for us, but since we were a company transfer I know it doesn't really compare to what you are considering. I will say that Boeing is a great company to work for, and even without the union here, they will take care of their employees.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 AM

547 posts, read 1,197,615 times
welcome to Charleston Roxanne!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesposito View Post
welcome to Charleston Roxanne!
Thanks! I love it here, even when I am lost. That is pretty much whenever I am driving. I can't navigate my way out of a paper bag most days, and without the Olympics and Cascade mountains guiding me I really have no sense of direction here. I use my cell phone GPS to find everything, but my GPS refuses to work in Mount Pleasant. I will say I find the most interesting neighborhoods when I'm wandering lost around town though!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,343,061 times
You will need to update your GPS, the maps are probably out of date.....

I update my Garmin every quater...

Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
You will need to update your GPS, the maps are probably out of date.....

I update my Garmin every quater...
I think I'll have to break down and buy an actual GPS unit. I have a Motorola Droid phone that has a GPS that is supposed to continually update it's maps, but it takes about 15 minutes to "find" a GPS signal, and usually by that time I have blundered onto my destination by sheer luck. It's mainly the part of MP from where 526 and 17 meet towards Ravenal that give me trouble when I drive, so I figure eventually I'll have all these roads memorized. I'm rarely in a rush to get anywhere anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area