Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 04:20 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdeal View Post
Sound like you having a great retirement .. Is Daniel Island a retirement area? Is it near a lot of water and woods or more like the City? I am looking for a comfortable place to live. Are there any snakes, alligators or wildlife in the area? I am not use to any of that kind of stuff .. Thanks
Its not a retirement area per se ... quite mixed tho ... maybe 20-25% are retired or empty nesters... but overwhelmingly families...makes for a great mix. All of the amenities your looking for are on the island or close by..It is an island ... so plenty of water front... and lots of parks and trails interconnect the entire island.

Pelicans , assorted herons ..eagles.. owls.. some deer ...fishing shrimping and ... yup.. alligators, snakes .. et al ... after all .. this is the south.... you don't bother them ... they wont bother you ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 04:34 PM

11 posts, read 9,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrew View Post
You will LOVE Charleston and should have several options because of your budget. With your specific requirements, your options span anywhere from Moncks Corner to Mount Pleasant down to Seabrook Island. It really depends on the type of feel you want, and the best way to tell that is to come and look. However, some of the options you might want to check out would be Dunes West, Coosaw Creek Country Club, Pine Forest, Crowfield Plantation or even Stono Ferry. Rivertowne Country Club is also very nice but I didn't see any houses on your lot size/price that came up currently. Daniel Island is very desireable, but you will be paying more than $800k for your desired lot/house size. This at least gives you a start I hope. It's hard to explain in detail an area so big and diverse as Charleston, but hopefully you can get an idea from all the comments. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask! :-)
Hello .. How are you? For retirement age people with family do you prefer Daniel the best? I'm looking for something but people talk a lot about snakes etc ... wildlife and I am not used to that ...

Old 03-27-2016, 07:39 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
Quote:
Hello .. How are you? For retirement age people with family do you prefer Daniel the best? I'm looking for something but people talk a lot about snakes etc ... wildlife and I am not used to that ...
Anyplace in Charleston where you have a bit of woods you might also have snakes. Generally, the closer you are to larger tracts of woods, the more likely you are to see a snake. That said, there are very few reports of venomous snake bites in the Charleston area and even fewer that are fatal. It's really not much of a problem to worry about.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:25 PM

11 posts, read 9,624 times
Default REtirement

Quote:
You will LOVE Charleston and should have several options because of your budget. With your specific requirements, your options span anywhere from Moncks Corner to Mount Pleasant down to Seabrook Island. It really depends on the type of feel you want, and the best way to tell that is to come and look. However, some of the options you might want to check out would be Dunes West, Coosaw Creek Country Club, Pine Forest, Crowfield Plantation or even Stono Ferry. Rivertowne Country Club is also very nice but I didn't see any houses on your lot size/price that came up currently. Daniel Island is very desireable, but you will be paying more than $800k for your desired lot/house size. This at least gives you a start I hope. It's hard to explain in detail an area so big and diverse as Charleston, but hopefully you can get an idea from all the comments. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask! :-)
Where is the best place to live if you older like in retirement age?

Old 03-27-2016, 07:13 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,147 times
Quote:
There's "wildlife" here but Daniel Island isn't wild. It's subdivisions ... some, all really, quite lovely. But still, subdivisions!
We've got the occasional frog, snake, lizard (cute tiny things). But so do most suburbs.

Last edited by joyeaux; 03-27-2016 at 07:22 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 08:27 PM

8 posts, read 11,465 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. We are booking a trip in early June. We want to experience what summer will be like in all its glory, coming from very different climate of Calif. we plan on looking at properties for a couple of days.

A couple of questions:

We are interested in joining a golf country club. We are currently members of a CC that has a $30 k initiation fee and ~ $1000 a month dues. We are looking for a club that has a monthly ~ 400-500 max. Are there any CC around that are in that range that are decent?

We've got 2 dogs, a Belgium Malinous and a cockapoo- so we need dog friendly property and if possible a dog park nearby?

What is a good hotel in the area?

Any special advice on picking a real estate agents?

Good dining options?

Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. We are booking a trip in early June. We want to experience what summer will be like in all its glory, coming from very different climate of Calif. we plan on looking at properties for a couple of days.

Early June won't be quite the full "glory" of summer here but you'll get an idea. The Spoleto/Piccolo Spoleto festival will be going on here May 27 to June 12. That will be a bonus if you enjoy what it has to offer or it could be problematic with downtown being pretty crowded and accommodations being at a premium. Spoleto is a highlight of the year here in Charleston and if you have time you should take advantage of it.

https://spoletousa.org/
Piccolo Spoleto Festival**| *

A couple of questions:

We are interested in joining a golf country club. We are currently members of a CC that has a $30 k initiation fee and ~ $1000 a month dues. We are looking for a club that has a monthly ~ 400-500 max. Are there any CC around that are in that range that are decent?

You'll find the club dues cheaper than that in general here in Charleston. I don't have the membership fees in my head, but Kiawah Island will have fees to compete with what you have in CA. (Kiawah's Ocean Course has hosted the Ryder Cup, PGA championships, etc)

We've got 2 dogs, a Belgium Malinous and a cockapoo- so we need dog friendly property and if possible a dog park nearby?

That's quite a combination! My girlfriend has a Malinous and she's a great dog. It's still hard to wear her out and she's 12yrs old. There are several good dog parks around Charleston with James Island County Park being one of the best. The beaches here have various rules but I think only Sullivan's Island allows dogs off leash and that's only from 5AM to 10AM.
Off-Leash Dog Parks in Charleston, SC, US

Are you looking for the downtown experience? Charleston Place, The Restoration on King, The Grand Bohemian, Zero George would all be good choices. If you're looking for less expensive, Sleep Inn in Mt Pleasant is a good choice. In truth, there are too many good choices to list them all. You should be nailing down reservations if you haven't done so already. Spoleto tends to fill the hotels.

I bite my tongue... Seriously, I think the rapport between the agent and client is crucial... you really should like each other. With that thought, I suggest actually interviewing agents. A phone call if you can't meet in person. Obviously you will want someone with experience and knowledge of the area as well.

Good dining options?

This is much like hotels in that there are a lot of good dining options around Charleston and it depends partly on what you're looking for. Fulton Five downtown is one of my favorites. It's a good place for a romantic dinner too. Hanks is a good choice for seafood. There's a restaurant thread here on the forum that's full of good ideas:
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...-go-today.html

Last edited by LocalHero; 04-04-2016 at 05:16 AM..

Old 04-04-2016, 04:14 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Greenville is rural, conservative, colder in the winter, less humid in the summer, in a redneck area.
Charleston is urban, liberal (by SC definition), warmer in the winter, humid summers, less rednecks.
Columbia is kind of in the middle and I do not mean geographically only.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:15 PM

8 posts, read 11,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post

Early June won't be quite the full "glory" of summer here but you'll get an idea. The Spoleto/Piccolo Spoleto festival will be going on here May 27 to June 12. That will be a bonus if you enjoy what it has to offer or it could be problematic with downtown being pretty crowded and accommodations being at a premium. Spoleto is a highlight of the year here in Charleston and if you have time you should take advantage of it.

https://spoletousa.org/
Piccolo Spoleto Festival**| *

A couple of questions:

You'll find the club dues cheaper than that in general here in Charleston. I don't have the membership fees in my head, but Kiawah Island will have fees to compete with what you have in CA. (Kiawah's Ocean Course has hosted the Ryder Cup, PGA championships, etc)

That's quite a combination! My girlfriend has a Malinous and she's a great dog. It's still hard to wear her out and she's 12yrs old. There are several good dog parks around Charleston with James Island County Park being one of the best. The beaches here have various rules but I think only Sullivan's Island allows dogs off leash and that's only from 5AM to 10AM.
Off-Leash Dog Parks in Charleston, SC, US

Are you looking for the downtown experience? Charleston Place, The Restoration on King, The Grand Bohemian, Zero George would all be good choices. If you're looking for less expensive, Sleep Inn in Mt Pleasant is a good choice. In truth, there are too many good choices to list them all. You should be nailing down reservations if you haven't done so already. Spoleto tends to fill the hotels.

I bite my tongue... Seriously, I think the rapport between the agent and client is crucial... you really should like each other. With that thought, I suggest actually interviewing agents. A phone call if you can't meet in person. Obviously you will want someone with experience and knowledge of the area as well.

Good dining options?

This is much like hotels in that there are a lot of good dining options around Charleston and it depends partly on what you're looking for. Fulton Five downtown is one of my favorites. It's a good place for a romantic dinner too. Hanks is a good choice for seafood. There's a restaurant thread here on the forum that's full of good ideas:
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...-go-today.html

Much thanks for the great info. One thing we enjoy doing is walking the drogs on a walking path for a couple of miles to a dog park. Then Hanging out and walking back to town for a late outside lunch with the pooches under foot. Is this feasible in the Charleston area. Also forgot to ask about dog parks.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Sandy View Post
Much thanks for the great info. One thing we enjoy doing is walking the drogs on a walking path for a couple of miles to a dog park. Then Hanging out and walking back to town for a late outside lunch with the pooches under foot. Is this feasible in the Charleston area. Also forgot to ask about dog parks.
Charleston is Dog friendly but not so walk-friendly. You are more likely to drive to the dog park and walk around on trails there, then drive to the restaurant. Lots of the neighborhoods have walking trails but they will likely want the dogs on leash.
There are a number of restaurants with outdoor seating that will allow your dogs to slobber all over your feet while you eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area