Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,205 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any input on the I'on/ Olde park Area?
We have been looking and have narrowed it down to Mt. Pleasant. We have a 4 year old ,so places with lots of family interaction and kids are important. Plus we need a place that is close to food( We shop at Whole Foods daily, both my wife and I love to cook and entertain)shopping and dining. I know that area is also close to Downtown,which we like,(nice stores,places to walk,cafes, etc).
The price is less of an issue than living in a place that makes my family happy.
We have lived in Many metropolitan areas from DC to Palm Beach so traffic is not a concern, plus I own my own company so the comute is not a consideration.
We are looking for an area that has lot's of social interaction(cocktail partys,dinner partys,cook-outs etc..)and where every social activity is not conected with a Church , not that we think anything is wrong with people attending church.It's just that we misguidedly moved from the real world to a parrallel universe where everyones first question is "Where do you go to church? "And if you are not a part of theirs ,then woe unto you! (No, we are not well adapted for rural life!!My wife is more Ball Gown, than Ball game, when it comes to a perfect night out). That said ,We are actually very casual people,We are looking for a community of friendly, educated , Social families,and I'on seems to have lot's of activitys from their website?
Thanks for your input. I want to make a more informed move this time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,775,701 times
Both Olde Park and I'On as you may well know are two very convenient upscale neighborhoods just a few minutes from Whole Foods. In both communities, homes run about $300 per square foot and the homes have great architectural detail. I think you might find more social interaction and more of a geographically diverse group of residents in I'On than in Olde Park. The density of I'On is a good bit greater than in Olde Park where homes are set back more from the sidewalks and on larger lots. Having been in both neighborhoods on many occasions, I have observed much more pedestrian activity in I'On during all hours of the day than in Olde Parke. I think you will find residents of I'On and Olde Park outgoing and receptive to making new friends as is the case in most all of the neighborhoods in the Charleston area. I'on does have a small commercial district with O'Brians Irish Pub and a great little eat-in and takeout restaurant that adds to the vibrancy of the neighborhood. There is also the I'On Club (Swimming and tennis) and the Creek Club (Clubhouse and Boat Dock) that fosters interaction between the residents. The residents of both communities will be well educated. Both neighborhoods have a different feel and a lot to offer, but from how you describe yourselves I think that I'On would be a better fit.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:55 AM

899 posts, read 3,490,136 times
I agree with Joe,
Ion is where you will feel more comfortable than Olde Park.

I also would not rule out the higher end sections of Daniels Island (say, Daniel Island Park). I always thought one could get a good idea of the neighborhood from watching what goes on at the community pool. I get the same feeling of community, perhaps even more so, than I have witnessed in Ion.
jim

Old 02-23-2008, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 11,886 times
I am looking at relocating to the area and have been looking extensively at both ION and Olde Park myself. I think something to consider is the larger lots in Olde Park if you have children. It can seem a little clautrophobic in ION and a little more room to breath in Olde Park. Either community is beautiful and unique in its own way. From what I have seen you can't go wrong with either one.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,775,701 times
Default Olde Park vs. I'On

Comments about the closeness of homes in I'On and those in Olde Park are correct. For the most part, homes in I'On are on very small lots and relatively close together with narrow street and often on street parking because many of the homes in I'On do not have a garage. The homes in Olde Park are on much larger lots, with garages and adjacent to wider streets. Keep in mind that most all of the homes in Olde Park are large, 3000+ square foot and priced in the $1,000,000+ range, while smaller and less expensive homes can be found in I'On. If one has the financial resources to purchase a large home in I'On they can get a larger lot, more privacy and separation between the homes, generally found towards the rear of the community. I have attached three photos, one of some homes around a pond in Olde Park and two others showing a larger home towards the rear of the Olde Park community with seperate between the homes and one of homes closer together in I'On.
Attached Thumbnails
Any Thoughts on Ion,and Olde park?-olde-park.jpg   Any Thoughts on Ion,and Olde park?-ion3.jpg   Any Thoughts on Ion,and Olde park?-ion2.jpg  

Old 05-16-2009, 06:16 PM

21 posts, read 55,848 times
we are moving into Charleston this summer. We can move June to July this summer. We are wanting to rent a house in I'on or Olde Park. If you know of anyone who would like to rent their home, please contact me:
Rachel: ragibaut@gmail.com

Old 05-16-2009, 06:37 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,448,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
Anyone have any input on the I'on/ Olde park Area?
We have been looking and have narrowed it down to Mt. Pleasant. We have a 4 year old ,so places with lots of family interaction and kids are important. Plus we need a place that is close to food( We shop at Whole Foods daily, both my wife and I love to cook and entertain)shopping and dining. I know that area is also close to Downtown,which we like,(nice stores,places to walk,cafes, etc).
The price is less of an issue than living in a place that makes my family happy.
We have lived in Many metropolitan areas from DC to Palm Beach so traffic is not a concern, plus I own my own company so the comute is not a consideration.
We are looking for an area that has lot's of social interaction(cocktail partys,dinner partys,cook-outs etc..)and where every social activity is not conected with a Church , not that we think anything is wrong with people attending church.It's just that we misguidedly moved from the real world to a parrallel universe where everyones first question is "Where do you go to church? "And if you are not a part of theirs ,then woe unto you! (No, we are not well adapted for rural life!!My wife is more Ball Gown, than Ball game, when it comes to a perfect night out). That said ,We are actually very casual people,We are looking for a community of friendly, educated , Social families,and I'on seems to have lot's of activitys from their website?
Thanks for your input. I want to make a more informed move this time!
If I were you(between the two) I'd choose Olde Park where the homes are bigger and yards are MUCH bigger ---where you actually have privacy. For that matter, if money is no object, why not see if any of the waterfront homes on the Cooper River with views of the harbor and the Ravenal Bridge in Scanlonville (in Mt. P) are for sale or any homes on the beach in Sullivan's Island for that matter. If money is no object, Sullivan's Island is where I'd want to be. You'll certainly be in the ball gown neighborhood there with it being rated the 68th most expensive place to live in the country. I don't think there is a more elite area in greater Charleston than Sullivan's Island.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:36 AM

459 posts, read 1,641,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
If I were you(between the two) I'd choose Olde Park where the homes are bigger and yards are MUCH bigger ---where you actually have privacy. For that matter, if money is no object, why not see if any of the waterfront homes on the Cooper River with views of the harbor and the Ravenal Bridge in Scanlonville (in Mt. P) are for sale or any homes on the beach in Sullivan's Island for that matter. If money is no object, Sullivan's Island is where I'd want to be. You'll certainly be in the ball gown neighborhood there with it being rated the 68th most expensive place to live in the country. I don't think there is a more elite area in greater Charleston than Sullivan's Island.
I wouldn't necessarily say Sullivan's Island is an "elite area", since there is such an eclectic mix of structures on the island. You have permanent residents, seasonal residents, long term renters, and short term renters. I'd say Kiawah, Wild Dunes, and Seabrook are more in line with what you term an "elite area" and I'd certainly consider downtown Charleston South of Broad to be more upscale than the beachside settings. If you really want to get into the elitist class, buy one of the overhyped, overpriced condos they are currently constructing beside the Ravenel Bridge in Mt P.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:58 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,206,437 times
Diferent stroked for diferent folks because I would definitely rate Sullivans as more elite than Wild Dunes and Seabrook.

There are some larger homes in Ion and some decent lot sizes. Larger lots are simply not the norm but there are some. And if you bought a house next to a public area/green that would definitely allow you to live as if you had more of a yard. I've never noticed much diference in who is drawn to those two neighborhoods.

You might also want to look at the Old Village in Mt Pleasant. A nice mix between a small town feel and a downtown charleston feel with a lot of homes on large lots and some facing the harbor. Pitt Street even has some commercial activity and you are close to a numbe rof restaurants/shops on Coleman.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:12 PM

5,293 posts, read 5,235,122 times
Sullivans isn't more elite than Seabrook or Kiawah...Seabrook is so elite, that it has a privacy gate that you cannot go passed w/out being a property owner, or the guest of a property owner....plus, that island has strict architectural guidelines...it's so strict that they even tell you what trees you are allowed to cut down on your own lot, and what trees must be kept...Kiawah is even more upscale, w/ very large homes...Sullivans is elite as well, but it isn't as mch as Seabrook or Kiawah...

Some people seem to not understand the concept of a neighborhood like I'on...instead of big individual lots, you have small lots, and then park like areas throughout the neighborhood for the kids to play in...it promotes more of a community environment, and a walkable neighborhood...it is a more sustainable type of development than a neighborhood w/ 1+ acre lots, and McMansions.

For a family, I'On is the much better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area