Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:52 PM

3,871 posts, read 4,615,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I have heard Food Lion's prices are drastically higher than Harris Teeter. Badly performing stores usually have higher prices to make up for sales. It is a quick way to deter business.
I must admit that takes me by surprise but I haven't been in a FL for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 08:55 PM

21,031 posts, read 27,333,492 times
I have seen many Food Lion stores go dark when Ingle's, Publix, Walmart Neighborhood Market, and Walmart Supercenter are nearby. Prices were much lower in those stores when Food Lion stores were open.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:58 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,118,496 times
Quote:
There is not a grocery gap on the peninsula.

Harris Teeter #277 is nearby. I project it will see an increase of business. Harris Teeter would be smart to add a pharmacy to the store.

Food Lion #1420, Kings Plaza, 1015 King Street, Charleston, South Carolina 29403-3701, may be the next supermarket on the peninsula to close.
There are just 3 grocery stores on the peninsula, serving a population of about 36,000. That already seems a low density of grocery stores. With the closing of the BI-LO store, there are just 2 grocery stores left. The distance of some residential buildings on the peninsula to one of the remaining grocery stores would be almost 2 miles. In my opinion that's too far away for people without a car.
The lost of the Bi-Lo store also means a smaller variety of food products on the peninsula. I don't know in which extent the range at different grocery chains overlap. But having just 2 grocery stores too choose from seems rather disappointing. Therefore I think it wouldn't be a good idea to place another Harris Teeter at this spot.

From everything I have heard so far, Food Lion seems definitely cheaper than Harris Teeter. The perception of the customers seems backed by price comparisons:

Quote:
Both Harris Teeter and Publix were significantly more expensive than Walmart: The low-price retailer charged 22 percent less than Harris Teeter and 20 percent less than Publix.

Food Lion was in the middle, with prices 11 percent lower than Harris Teeter but 14 percent higher than Walmart.
Charlotte grocery wars: How do prices compare? | The Charlotte Observer

But I would assume that the prices at Food Lion are too high for the provided shopping environment. Food Lion seems stuck in the middle without a distinct selling point.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:03 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,118,496 times
I think they should replace the Bi-Lo store and this awful surface parking space with at least two levels of underground parking. First floor with retail (upscale grocery store, a discount grocery store, a dollar store and a bakery or something like this). And above that 3 levels of apartment housings.
All grocery stores on the peninsula should be built in such retail / apartment / underground parking complexes.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I think they should replace the Bi-Lo store and this awful surface parking space with at least two levels of underground parking. First floor with retail (upscale grocery store, a discount grocery store, a dollar store and a bakery or something like this). And above that 3 levels of apartment housings.
All grocery stores on the peninsula should be built in such retail / apartment / underground parking complexes.
Surely you don't literally mean "underground", right?

Old 09-01-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
There are just 3 grocery stores on the peninsula, serving a population of about 36,000. That already seems a low density of grocery stores. With the closing of the BI-LO store, there are just 2 grocery stores left. The distance of some residential buildings on the peninsula to one of the remaining grocery stores would be almost 2 miles. In my opinion that's too far away for people without a car.
The lost of the Bi-Lo store also means a smaller variety of food products on the peninsula. I don't know in which extent the range at different grocery chains overlap. But having just 2 grocery stores too choose from seems rather disappointing. Therefore I think it wouldn't be a good idea to place another Harris Teeter at this spot.
Public transportation should be readily available in Charleston.

If Harris Teeter has an opportunity to replace store 277 with a larger store involving above and below store parking, it should take that opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973
From everything I have heard so far, Food Lion seems definitely cheaper than Harris Teeter. The perception of the customers seems backed by price comparisons:

Charlotte grocery wars: How do prices compare? | The Charlotte Observer

But I would assume that the prices at Food Lion are too high for the provided shopping environment. Food Lion seems stuck in the middle without a distinct selling point.
That article is from 16 May 2014. Kroger had recently completed the acquisition of Harris Teeter. Publix opened its first North Carolina store. Food Lion would undergo a change in presidency later in the year, and its parent company, Delhaize, would be acquired by Ahold two years later to form Ahold Delhaize.

Kroger has made changes in Harris Teeter through opening more larger stores, expanding fuel sales, and lowering prices.

Publix continues to open additional stores in the Charlotte Division.

Food Lion has updated some stores without making significant changes in pricing and positioning strategies.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Public transportation should be readily available in Charleston.

If Harris Teeter has an opportunity to replace store 277 with a larger store involving above and below store parking, it should take that opportunity.
Do you think they would replace store 277? I would assume they would just add another if they had the Spring/Meeting st opportunity. Hard to believe they would give up that spot on EBay, though that too is a darned valuable piece of real estate for a grocery store. It might be worth rebuilding both sites with multi story and a ground floor grocery. (parking might be an issue as it always is downtown.

Public transportation (or lack of) has long been an issue in Chas and will be for some time to come.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:30 AM

The alternative for Harris Teeter is to take over East Bay Trading Station by pushing other tenants out, expand store 277, and a pharmacy and a Starbucks would be available in store.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:11 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,472,806 times
That Food Lion is never closing unless the whole chain goes under. It's the go to place for the northern peninsula residents. A lot of them can't easily just hop over to Mt P or WA to get groceries, and HT, while nice and one of my favorites, is more on the expensive side. A box of Cheeze It's at Harris Teeter? $5. Those same Cheeze It's at Walmart? $2.88.

Downtown does have a low density of options. Teeter, Food Lion, and Bilo, then CVS and Walgreens for small, basic needs. Bilo is leaving, and more affluent downtown residents aren't going to that Food Lion, so that just leaves Teeter. Plus, that Teeter is on the edge of the peninsula. The location is only completely central for Ansonborough folks.

I think something else will move into Bilo, even if it's another Teeter. I like the idea of a Fresh Market though, but some kind of grocer needs to move in. Once Publix moves in then the peninsula will have something covering the east edge, middle, west edge, and upper.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:18 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,472,806 times
HT is also not getting rid of their East Bay store, come on now...That's probably one of the highest grossing if not the highest in the region. There is already a Starbucks in there, but no one goes to Teeter for Starbucks, they go to Starbucks for Starbucks. They do just fine without a pharmacy, not every grocery store needs one.

HT has won over Charleston and that location is prime. They pretty much have the peninsula on lock, and the building is also architecturally unique. They're not knocking down any walls, the store is fine how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area