U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 10:04 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,015,270 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Just wondering what Snee Farms is like in Mt Pleasant? Does anyone know what the HOA fees are and if you have to join the Country Club if you buy a home there? Are convenienes located nearby i.e. supermarkets, movie theaters, restaurants??? I saw some pictures and it looks very nice. My husband and I will be going down to Charleston to look at some real estate soon. He is retired, but I will be still working and need to be close enough to hospitals so I can still be on call if necessary. Thanks for all your opinions in advance.
Patty
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 10:35 PM

2,527 posts, read 7,404,844 times
Snee Farm has plenty to offer. It's HOA is $300 annually, if I'm not mistaken. You don't -have- to join the country club if you don't wish to. Mt. Pleasant Towne Center is less than 2 minutes from Snee Farm, which has about all the shopping you'll ever need. East Cooper Regional Medical Center is only minutes away as well and the new hospital looks to be opening in 2010.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 AM

9,101 posts, read 15,059,587 times
I think Snee Farms is one of the prettiest of "the communities". Supposedly they have found prehistoric bones of Mammouths that must have lived there at one time. The only thing I don't like about Snee Farm or most any of the "communities" are that unless you live right by the entrance to the neighborhood, you aren't walking distance to any shopping because except for the entrance, I believe you are all closed in -- which probably has its advantages from a security standpoint.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:00 PM

899 posts, read 3,257,317 times
Emily brings up a good point that is sometimes overlooked. In some communities you need to know exactly where that home sits. If it is a large community and you are on a main artery, that traffic can be noisy at times and headlights can shoot straight into your living room. Likewise, if you are in the back of a development, you might need to add 5 minutes to your commute!
jim

Old 02-23-2008, 02:17 PM

Default HI Emily

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I think Snee Farms is one of the prettiest of "the communities". Supposedly they have found prehistoric bones of Mammouths that must have lived there at one time. The only thing I don't like about Snee Farm or most any of the "communities" are that unless you live right by the entrance to the neighborhood, you aren't walking distance to any shopping because except for the entrance, I believe you are all closed in -- which probably has its advantages from a security standpoint.
I'm from North Scituate RI and my husband and I are thinking of Charleston as a retirement option. We love Newport and our 21 year old son attends Salve Regina. We love historical towns with lots character and charm and Charleston seems to fit the bill. I will be working still so we we're thinking Mt Pleasant might be a nice option as there would be many options for work as I am in the medical field. My husband would rather not live in a community where we have to pay HOA dues, but I'm not sure that's an option in that area. Thanks for your advice about what to think about when purchasing in a large community. Take care...
Your neighbor :-)
Patty

Old 02-23-2008, 09:16 PM

9,101 posts, read 15,059,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
Hi everyone,
Just wondering what Snee Farms is like in Mt Pleasant? Does anyone know what the HOA fees are and if you have to join the Country Club if you buy a home there? Are convenienes located nearby i.e. supermarkets, movie theaters, restaurants??? I saw some pictures and it looks very nice. My husband and I will be going down to Charleston to look at some real estate soon. He is retired, but I will be still working and need to be close enough to hospitals so I can still be on call if necessary. Thanks for all your opinions in advance.
Patty

Hi Patty,

As North Scituate was a ways from Newport, if you didn't mind driving that distance, you might like Summerville which is an old town with its own shopping areas and restaurants with lots of charm with new developments as well and with lots of history in its own right... and about the same distance as you are used to driving to Newport as it is to Charleston. Homes are a lot more affordable there too. A water view place in Charleston (downtown) is really out of reach unless you have a million dollars or more and even that will only get you a 1300 square foot tiny 3 bedroom townhouse in a desirable area and not even a guarantee of a water view.. whereas $400k could get you a nice condo with a harbor view in Newport. ( Actually Newport population wise is more comparable to Beaufort. it's tiny compared to downtown Charleston.)

The good news is that there are lots of neighborhoods in Mount Pleasant and James Island with the proximity to Charleston that Saunderstown and Tiverton or even Jamestown have to Newport, except both Mount Pleasant and James Island are the size of or larger than Cranston and Warwick and East Greenwich combined. But if you don't mind being a little father out in the country, than some of the other areas you might like even better.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:43 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,478,795 times
Here are a few photos of Snee Farm.
Attached Thumbnails
Snee Farms-sneefarm9.jpg   Snee Farms-sneefarm8.jpg   Snee Farms-sneefarm7-3-.jpg   Snee Farms-sneefarm7-2-.jpg   Snee Farms-sneefarm10-2-.jpg  

Snee Farms-sneefarm10.jpg   Snee Farms-sneefarm11-2-.jpg   Snee Farms-sneefarm12-2-.jpg  

Old 02-23-2008, 10:12 PM

Smile Thanks Emily

[quote=emilybh;2924523]like

Hi Patty,

As North Scituate was a ways from Newport, if you didn't mind driving that distance, you might like Summerville which is an old town with its own shopping areas and restaurants with lots of charm with new developments as well and with lots of history in its own right... and about the same distance as you are used to driving to Newport as it is to Charleston. Homes are a lot more affordable there too. A water view place in Charleston (downtown) is really out of reach unless you have a million dollars or more and even that will only get you a 1300 square foot tiny 3 bedroom townhouse in a desirable area and not even a guarantee of a water view.. whereas $400k could get you a nice condo with a harbor view in Newport. ( Actually Newport population wise is more comparable to Beaufort. it's tiny compared to downtown Charleston.)

The good news is that there are lots of neighborhoods in Mount Pleasant and James Island with the proximity to Charleston that Saunderstown and Tiverton or even Jamestown have to Newport, except both Mount Pleasant and James Island are the size of or larger than Cranston and Warwick and East Greenwich combined. But if you don't mind being a little father out in the country, than some of the other areas you might like even better.[/quote
Emily,
Thanks for all the analogies in regard to the RI towns.It really helps put everything in perspective for me. We actually had thought about Summerville as there have been alot of positive comments in this forum about that area. We might also check out the Beaufort and Bluffton areas. I'm thinking in May we'll be coming down before the Spoleto( I think that's how it's spelled) festival. I'd like to miss the crowds if we could while looking at real estate. How does Summerville compare in size to Cranston or Warwick???? Oh and btw, what made you relocate?? I hope you're happy with your new life there.Take care..
Patty

Old 02-23-2008, 10:14 PM

Default Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCJoe View Post
Here are a few photos of Snee Farm.
Thanks for the pics. It really does look like a beautiful community.. Appreciate you showing them.
Patty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area