Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:38 PM

624 posts, read 693,772 times

Advertisements

I totally get the people who live in Park West protesting the new Lowe's Foods and gas station. 41 is an absolute mess, traffic-wise.

Quote:
At the other end of the spectrum, North Charleston has for years tried many tactics, including offering a $1 million incentive, to attract a full-service grocery store to the intersection of Rivers and McMillan avenues to serve the surrounding lower-income neighborhoods.
You just cannot compare the abundance of grocery stores in Mt. Pleasant to the food desert in North Charleston. Income, crime and shrink all come into play.

Mount Pleasant residents protest another grocery store while other areas wish they had one | News | postandcourier.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 07:43 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,461,944 times
Greenville just got Lowes Foods and everyone seems to be loving it. I do personally think Mt P has gone grocery mad though. Can't blame a new company like Lowes wanting to test the waters though.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Greenville just got Lowes Foods and everyone seems to be loving it. I do personally think Mt P has gone grocery mad though. Can't blame a new company like Lowes wanting to test the waters though.
I enjoy visiting Lowe's Foods when I travel through Pawley's Island and up into NC. When it comes to grocery stores, I say the more the merrier.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:56 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,461,944 times
Hey I don't mind them either, even though Teeter and Pubix are my main squeezes, but something's gotta give. You have Aldi (rip bowling alley) and Lowes coming, plus Costco which will still technically provide grocery, and it's just a matter of time before Fresh Market comes knocking. And I'm sure we'll get another Harris Teeter announcement soon because why not??? lol.

The average city has a grocer for every 8,500 people, but with Mt P it's more like every 17,000. Again it personally doesn't effect me, I just think it's all overkill.

Mt P certainly isn't the only place with this problem though. And it's only a matter of time before Bilo calls it quits imo - though they'll likely just become something else.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Hey I don't mind them either, even though Teeter and Pubix are my main squeezes, but something's gotta give. You have Aldi (rip bowling alley) and Lowes coming, plus Costco which will still technically provide grocery, and it's just a matter of time before Fresh Market comes knocking. And I'm sure we'll get another Harris Teeter announcement soon because why not??? lol.

The average city has a grocer for every 8,500 people, but with Mt P it's more like every 17,000. Again it personally doesn't effect me, I just think it's all overkill.

Mt P certainly isn't the only place with this problem though. And it's only a matter of time before Bilo calls it quits imo - though they'll likely just become something else.

Of course, don't forget Lidl...and I am sure Walmart will keep trying to pull a permits for some Neighborhood Markets in Mt. Pleasant.

Oh and I agree Bi-Lo is done. It's just a matter of organizing the funeral.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:43 PM

311 posts, read 260,219 times
Kinda surprised they've only announce one location so far. I'd be curious where other locations are planned around the area.

I'd guess Summerville and West Ashley would be next.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:17 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,223,341 times
I don't think Lowes is any better than Publix or Teeter. I actually prefer the latter two. But I completely understand why they want to go into Mt Pleasant. The grocery business has razor thin margins on most items so if you can locate in an area with more income and raise the amount of sales in floral, premade foods, takeout, and various side items you are really helping your cause.

On the flip side- I think North Charleston is almost going to have to provide a free lease to someone or some pretty decent incentives to draw a grocery store to that area just above the neck and around the old Navy hospital.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
On the flip side- I think North Charleston is almost going to have to provide a free lease to someone or some pretty decent incentives to draw a grocery store to that area just above the neck and around the old Navy hospital.
They could start with providing free store security.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:24 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,295,870 times
Quote:
And it's only a matter of time before Bilo calls it quits imo - though they'll likely just become something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
Oh and I agree Bi-Lo is done. It's just a matter of organizing the funeral.
BI-LO stores 5101, Mount Pleasant Square, 1440 Ben Sawyer Boulevard, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina 29464-4536, and 5410, 774 South Shelmore Blvd, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina 29464-6656, are in the process of closing. Both stores have competed with Harris Teeter and Publix.

Many BI-LO stores in Charleston and Dorchester counties have closed in over two years.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:41 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,295,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I don't think Lowes is any better than Publix or Teeter. I actually prefer the latter two. But I completely understand why they want to go into Mt Pleasant. The grocery business has razor thin margins on most items so if you can locate in an area with more income and raise the amount of sales in floral, premade foods, takeout, and various side items you are really helping your cause.
Lowe's Foods has incorporated entertainment into its new concept stores. Entertainment is not enough to draw customers into stores. If you have lagged behind in necessities, quality and freshness, price, and service, it will be hard to catch up. Lowe's Foods' failure in York County and in Buncombe, Cleveland, and Mecklenburg counties of North Carolina has not gone unnoticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area