Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 06:36 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,832,359 times

Advertisements

We're staying in Charleston the night of January 15 (a holiday weekend). Should be arriving mid-afternoon. I looked at things to do on TripAdvisor, and many of the outdoor places are gorgeous in the spring and summer. Any recommendations on something outdoors we could visit that's "pretty" in the winter? I'm not really interested in any tours (we did city tours the last time we were there and I don't like standing in a crowd of people) but I like to go exploring and take pictures of nature. I don't know what your temps are in Jan and what lives year round. It's a Sunday so some places might be closed also. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 07:06 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,073,417 times
Caw Caw Plantation has nice nature.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:11 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,427,366 times
Theres no telling about the weather... could be in the 70's ... or 40's ....( that's Charleston's winter weather)...tho January is our coldest month... if its 60 or above ... Middleton, Drayton or Magnolia Plantations would fit your desires... Camellia plants are blooming now in profusion...if my backyard is any example ...and each of them .. but especially Middleton ...should have an amazing display.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:28 AM

727 posts, read 718,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
Theres no telling about the weather... could be in the 70's ... or 40's ....( that's Charleston's winter weather)...tho January is our coldest month... if its 60 or above ... Middleton, Drayton or Magnolia Plantations would fit your desires... Camellia plants are blooming now in profusion...if my backyard is any example ...and each of them .. but especially Middleton ...should have an amazing display.
The water views are great to photograph in any season, too.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:05 PM

Thank you...water views are better the higher I can get from sea level. All of these plantations, do you know if there is a fee just to walk the grounds?

Old 12-29-2016, 09:48 PM

This is the Low Country, so you won't get very far above sea level, I'm afraid, unless you pay for the house tours and take pictures from the upstairs windows! Middleton and Magnolia were rice plantations. Yes, each has an admission charge to enter the grounds, and then additional fees for house or guided tours.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:19 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,612,425 times
+1 for Caw Caw and the plantations, especially Magnolia where the camelia gardens give you as much color as you'll find this time of year. The swamp garden there is alsworth the trip too, even in winter. There's definitely a fee but you might find a Groupon or something to help. The Center for Birds of Prey in Awendaw is also something to consider. Maybe a kayak tour if the weather is nice. Enjoy!

Old 12-30-2016, 08:19 AM

Magnolia is $15 general admission and closer to Charleston than Middleton, which is $28. Too bad you're not here now. Magnolia has a special going on which is BOGO admission tickets with a canned food donation, and a discount on the nature train with a second canned food item. The promotion ends tomorrow, though.

What about the Angel Oak? It's free, but kind of a ways out.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 11,342 times
As for the weather, it can vary greatly. I have a daughter with a January birthday. Pictures from her first birthday have her outdoors in a onesie. On her second birthday, it snowed.

The Angel Oak on Johns Island is beautiful year round, and makes for very beautiful photographs. Admission is free, too, though they do accept donations. There is also a gift shop on site, and you can take a picnic lunch.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:12 AM

Thanks everyone! I will look up these places and hubby and I will make a decision. We'll only have about 3 hours before it will get dark and we may need a backup plan if it's cold. I definitely don't want to pay $28 just to take some pics LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area