Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 07:49 PM

727 posts, read 718,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Nice, but it looks like no one told them about tidying up before the photo shoot.
Haha! I didn't look at the interior pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Or not really wanting to sell it

We looked at one that had old cat poop all over the carpet, when they knew there would be a showing....It didn't sell for a very long time and I really think it was intentional.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:05 PM

8 posts, read 6,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
To keep your pricing needs in check, I would consider Berkeley County, especially out toward Moncks Corner. Growing area, cheap taxes and more square footage for your dollar than Charleston. But still close to the metro area.

By the way, have you ever taken the last train to Clarksville?
Thanks for the advice! Is Moncks Corner a safe area? Good for families? Do you know anything about the schools there? We have kids in elem, middle and high school.

also nice monkey reference

Old 01-01-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
Normally I recommend Summerville, but with your two large dogs I'm assuming you need more than the normal lot size you would find here with your house requirements. You will probably need to go rural, or into Berkeley Co. as GroceryGuy recomended.

A realtor could help you more, but I did see this online: 161 Hill Branch Rd, Ridgeville, SC 29472 - realtor.com®

High school for that location is good. Check the school rating sites for the elementary and middle for any area you are considering.

Thanks! Summerville was actually one I was really interested in. Is it a nice area, I'm looking for a safe small town feel with good safe schools. We are ok with up to a 40 min drive to Charleston. We could possible build on a larger lot so if you have any advice on builders, I'm ears. How is Ridgeville?
Also thanks for sharing the house, It's nice!

Old 01-01-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I was thinking of something more like this 214 Washington Town Rd, Summerville, SC 29486 - realtor.com®

Closer and are still in good school district and not too far out
I LIKE! Thanks.
Whats your opinion on Summerville? Also do you know of any college help for kids in SC. In TN we have the TN promise which gives kids who graduate from here 2 free years... do you guys have anything like that?
Thanks again for the help!

Old 01-01-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
We looked at one that had old cat poop all over the carpet, when they knew there would be a showing....It didn't sell for a very long time and I really think it was intentional.
Wow, That's crazy!

Old 01-01-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
What are the ages on the children?

School-wise, Dorchester 2 schools (Summerville) are highly rated, but so are Cane Bay schools (which are in the Berkeley County School District, but are all new schools.

Honestly, I work in a business where people relocate to Charleston all the time. My advice is always the same: rent for a year.

You need to live here for a year to immerse yourself in the culture, explore, figure out traffic patterns, check out areas, network and do research.

I know so many people that are stuck in houses in areas they hate.
Thanks for the advice!
I think renting for a year would really help with picking a location we love but we always run into the same issue... no one will rent to us when we have a mastiff and I would never let her go!
Really appreciate the info on the schools, that's very important to us! Whats your opinion on Summerville...Nice area, safe, nice town?
Also where are Cane Bay Schools? Do you recommend that town?
We love to be outdoors, so hiking/walking trails, parks etc are a huge plus!
Also you asked kid ages.. 17,14,9 and 8
Thanks Again!

Old 01-01-2017, 11:45 PM

Hey Everyone, would love some opinions!
Which would you say are top three to live in, in order?
Charleston, Summerville, Goose Creek, Moncks Corner, Johns Island, Hanahan, Ladson and Ridgeville
Feel free to tell why you chose the ones you did.
Thanks Guys, Your all so helpful!

Old 01-02-2017, 06:56 AM

216 posts, read 300,688 times
There's so much diversity with Charleston its hard to say what you and your family are really looking for...or will love about the home you choose. I've owned three homes in Charleston County, moved here in 2008 and we are now in Mt Pleasant and wouldn't ever leave...its our favorite location for many reasons.

I watched this video the other day...may give you some insight on Charleston home buying https://youtu.be/rPLS89LMPVw

Old 01-02-2017, 07:05 AM

Whew! Usually, the posters asking the questions are overwhelmed. Today, I am! Where to start?

Location: Each of the areas you listed have their pluses and minuses. It comes down to personal preference and needs. Do you need to consider a commute to work? Traffic is an important consideration. Have you been able to come down for a visit? I really think you need to just drive around and get a feel for the area. This is what I did: Came down several times and just drove around. Used school rating sites like greatschools.com to narrow down school choices. Then, the real estate sites like realtor.com or trulia to find houses within those school districts. Search city-data and google for any and all info about the narrowed-down areas. Then, the crime-mapping sites, local police FB pages and local online newspapers. Then, visited the schools on the short list in person. Finally, worked with a realtor to find a house in the target areas. (Recommendation alert: LocalHero on this forum was our agent, and was great to work with!)

We chose Summerville, specifically for Ashley Ridge High School. There is so much already written about Summerville on this forum, but I will add that it is a fully functioning city with everything one would need either here, or within a reasonable driving distance. Parks, shopping, services are all plentiful in the general area.

Charleston: The historic area wouldn't meet your needs, but West Ashley might (the part off 61--Ashley River Rd--Shadowmoss and the like--outside 526 I guess you would say.) Something like this: 2077 Lake Ave, Charleston, SC 29414 - realtor.com®

Goose Creek: We looked there, but it didn't appeal to me. No real "town", mostly busy roads with strip shopping centers. The only subdivision we considered there was Crowfield, but I read too much about the intense HOA and then we really didn't like Stratford HS all that much.

Moncks Corner: not on my list and I know nothing about that area.

Johns Island: rural. Lots of info on CD about it, and the school issues.

Hanahan: Loved Hanahan, specifically the Otranto area (which might also fall under Charleston Co schools), but couldn't find a house that was right for us. My son thought Hanahan HS was too small.

Ladson: it is an address, but not really a town. It is part of Summerville, and I think N. Charleston. Hard to define Ladson.

Ridgeville: rural and kind of a ways out there. Population about 2000, I think. The prison is out there.

You asked about Cane Bay, too. We liked the Cane Bay area. Cane Bay is a large subdivision with newer schools. I'm not sure you'll find the lot size you need there. We thought it was too far from everything.

I understand about not wanting to rent first. It is the common advice, but it also means moving twice and paying high rents that would be more than a mortgage payment even if you find the pet-friendly ones. We hustled to find a house to buy before school started. Tons of research beforehand helped us make the best decision we could. The only thing I found I didn't like was living in a subdivision.

Just starting the college research now, so can't answer much about SC opportunities. I do know there are scholarships specifically for residents. This might help :CHE Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area