Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:28 AM

376 posts, read 1,779,636 times

Advertisements

Does Charleston really need chain restaurants? With the good food in Charleston, you'd have to be out of your mind to waste money at a chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 11:40 AM

37 posts, read 214,860 times
You guys are giving us some great ideas! We are def looking into the food direction! Everybody has to eat

Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 AM

890 posts, read 4,327,551 times
Actually the chains do rather well around here. They always seem to be crowded. Speaking of which, I hear a Chili's is coming to Summerville.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:24 PM

153 posts, read 769,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
Does Charleston really need chain restaurants? With the good food in Charleston, you'd have to be out of your mind to waste money at a chain.
Many times, the local restaurants are packed so much that some people have no choice but to go to a chain. Besides, upscale chains like PF Chang's, Ruth's Chris, and Cheescake offer unique options and dining experiences. For example, Chas is in dire need of better steak places like Ruth's. I've been to the Ruth's up here in Cola, and it was literally fantastic. Chas was supposed to get one, and plans for one have either died or have been put on hold.

Sometimes Kaminsky's has great desserts, but they have off days where the desserts were dry or too light. Cheesecake could put some serious competition to them.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Dave & Buster's was an excellent suggestion. Our family immensely enjoyed the one in Providence, RI, and we desperately wish someone would bring a franchise to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA area. We just got our first Starbucks a few years ago just to show you how far behind the rest of the nation we are. I can't believe a tourist haven like Charleston still doesn't have one yet! You're missing out on a lot of fun! Grantsgirl, be sure you have plenty of financial backing though because a lot of franchises (not only Dave & Buster's) require a great deal in start-up costs. Naturally in the long-run it's worth it to make quite a killing, but you may be surprised to see just how expensive some of those initial start-up contributions are! I should know because a relative of mine investigated opening a Hooters in Scranton and nearly keeled over!

Old 03-05-2008, 01:31 PM

69 posts, read 356,612 times
A Roly Poly sandwich shop downtown on King St. Tourists can eat wraps easily while walking or can eat outside, and those of us who work downtown would have another option for a quick lunch. Some of the lunch places downtown are slooooow.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
I'll happily only request 10% of the profit (and free tabletop shuffleboard for life) as a finder's fee for the Dave&Busters idea.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:15 PM

97 posts, read 260,987 times
Tim Hortens, Dunkin Doughnuts and IHOP!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,355 times
I am SO much against chain restaurants coming here.
I am afraid of becoming Myrtle Beach South. It starts with the chains & the next thing you know, it's Broadway on the Beach. Ouch.

There is plenty of food to go around, even if it takes a while to be made. (This IS the South!)

But a Dunkin' Donuts on 61 South would ROCK!
jim

Old 03-05-2008, 07:04 PM

267 posts, read 1,019,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon2027 View Post
Tim Hortens, Dunkin Doughnuts and IHOP!!!
Tim Hortons Eh? You don't see too many of them south of the 45th parallel!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area