Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 04:37 PM

397 posts, read 1,071,406 times

Advertisements

Mount Pleasant is perfect for you, you can be at the beach within 15 minutes, have Whole Foods downtown, and find excellent schools. Moderator cut: edit - Therese

Last edited by christina0001; 03-09-2008 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: solicitation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 04:39 PM

397 posts, read 1,071,406 times
I would defnitely consider I'on, you may have to give up on some square footage - but there is a Montessori right in the neighborhood! It's a great area, let me know how I can send you some listings to look at. There are no interior "fixer uppers" there, it's a smart community that is fairly new. However, there are other options close to the Montesorri in the neighborhood as well. Moderator cut: edit Thanks, therese.

Last edited by christina0001; 03-09-2008 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: soliciting

Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times
There are only 2 stores with lots of organic produce as well as food supplements. One is Whole Foods Market in Mount Pleasant by the new bridge on Houston Northcut Blvd and the other is Earth Fare in West Ashley about a 1/2 mile north of the intra coastal waterway that is at the intersection of Wesley and Folly Road. Sadly there aren't any small independently owned health food stores here. Downtown in Marion Sq there is a Farmer's market on the weekends (but I haven't checked it out yet). That is pretty much it except for some seasonal farmers markets and organic produce you may find hit or miss at stores in the area.

So if you want to be near Whole Foods, you want to live in Mount Pleasant close to downtown and to be near Earth Fare you'd need to live in West AShley (close to downtown) or Northern James Island.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 AM

899 posts, read 3,490,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamptrecy View Post
Here's a list of our wants/needs:
within 30 minutes to Naval Base Spawar,... near natural food store
I put you in Dorchester II schools, established neighborhoods such as Ashborough East, Irongate, Quail Arbor & Kings Grant.

I came up with 14 in a quick search.

Sorry about the natural foods. I'm sure it will get to this area sooner or later.
jim

Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 AM

110 posts, read 565,541 times
We have food allergies so that's why we shop at natural grocery stores. They tend to have the foods we need. I'll miss Trader Joe's. I think many things can be ordered online these days. I'll just need to plan more.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:14 PM

I miss Trader Joe's as well. In fact, I approached a woman on Kiawah that was sitting on the beach with a Trader Joe's bag.
I asked her where she got it, as I was new to the area.

She replied; "Chicago".

That was just wrong.

By the way;
We have two Trader Joe's down here.

They sell used furniture, not natural foods.

Just an FYI,
jim

Old 03-13-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
I put you in Dorchester II schools, established neighborhoods such as Ashborough East, Irongate, Quail Arbor & Kings Grant.

I came up with 14 in a quick search.

Sorry about the natural foods. I'm sure it will get to this area sooner or later.
jim
Jim if it happens I guess it will be LATER. Lack of natural food stores is one way Charleston is surpisingly backwards. You'd think with all the restaurants here there'd be a huge market for quality organic foods and the food supplements would just follow. If there wasn't an Earth Fare or a Whole Foods here, there is nothing else in the way of smaller locally owned and operated natural foods or health food stores here. It is pretty sad. I wonder why that is?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:39 PM

I totally agree Emily. We had a pretty decent Natural Foods store here in Summerville & it folded. Great Black Bean Soup, but not enough people walking through the doors.

I know the market, my brother had a successful Organic Foods Store in Long Island, NY.
It's a tough racket for sure. The pizza place next store kicked his ass. I really think the only hope is a Whole Foods or Earth Fare in Summerville.
And I agree, it may be a while.

Supply & Demand; simple as that.
jim

Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
I totally agree Emily. We had a pretty decent Natural Foods store here in Summerville & it folded. Great Black Bean Soup, but not enough people walking through the doors.

I know the market, my brother had a successful Organic Foods Store in Long Island, NY.
It's a tough racket for sure. The pizza place next store kicked his ass. I really think the only hope is a Whole Foods or Earth Fare in Summerville.
And I agree, it may be a while.

Supply & Demand; simple as that.
jim
I would think that Millenium Music Store location would be a good spot for an Earth Fare or a Whole Foods. There really isn't anything downtown in the way of good whole foods/upscale gourmet grocery shopping is there? I wouldn't think people who live downtown, especially considering what you have to pay to do that relish having to drive to West Ashley or Mt. P to do their organic grocery shopping.

I know there is supposedly the Farmers Market in Marion Square but its not there in the winter because I've been looking for it and have only found an empty square or some other event going on there.

Still, I think downtown could use a permanent store. Boston has at least one Whole Foods right downtown.

I would certainly think that a well run health food store with a small selection of quality organic produce and the usual grocery items and supplements and frozen foods most health food stores carry along with some fresh muffins, soups and sandwiches in Summerville would not have a hard time staying open. Certainly the store in Summervile you mentioned didn't close down due to competition from Whole Foods 45 minutes or an hour away!

I think part of the problem according to Earth Fare and Whole Foods staff I've spoken to is that South Carolina looks at natural medicine like its snake oil (or maybe they are afraid that people will discover it really works and do that instead of continue to take their prescription drugs). Anyway, most states allow people to choose. Some states even license Naturopathic Doctors. It is ashame that every state doesn't at least allow them to do what they are trained in medical school to do( which is sorely needed in this country)...and that's diagnose and treat the cause of chronic and degenerative diseases and help restore a person's own immune system so the body can fight off the disease on its own. A good naturopathic doctor can help a person permanently cure their own cancer and make them feel better and better while they are being treated for a fraction of the cost of what a conventional medical doctor would do who would only treat the symptoms of the cancer by trying to get rid of the existing cancer cells by cutting (surgery) poisening (chemo) or nuking (radiation)-- not addressing what caused the cancer to get there in the first like the Naturopathic Doctor does. Needless to say, the conventional cancer treatment makes you sicker than the cancer because while it destroys the cancer cells it also destroys the good cells and your immune system. Naturopathic medicine destroys not only the cancer cells but what CAUSED the cancer to get there in the first place and STRENGTHENS your immune system. It's the polar opposite approach.

Of course its all about money in this country. The Cancer industry is the second largest contributor to the gross natural product. If you can keep a person alive while treating the symptoms of the cancer and make hundreds of thousands of dollars off his insurance, thats a lot more profitable than sending him to a naturopath where he can permanantly get rid of his Cancer
in a matter of months and spend maybe less than one or two thousand dollars doing so. It's really sad that it isn't about doing what is best for the patient anymore but rather doing to the patient whatever is most profitable -- whether the patient is helped or not. Luckily, for those that won't be led like a sheep through conventional treatment, there are effective alternatives but you have to research them.

OK. I'm off my soap box now. Sorry for getting off track but Earth Fare and Whole Foods staff really did say that about nathuropathic medicine -- that the state considers it "illegal". Little does the state realize that before allopathic western medicine was mainstream in this country, back in the 1930's and before (when there was NO such thing as heart disease and barely any such thing as cancer), mainstream medicine WAS naturopathic medicine. So it is pretty silly (and backwards) to make it illegal when it was practiced nationwide not much more than 50 years ago.

Last edited by emilybh; 03-14-2008 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area