Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:24 AM

7 posts, read 19,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
My suggestion in your field is to find a headhunter and let them do all the work for you. They collect a commission from the company they place you with and so they work hard to get you placed. After all, they don't get paid unless you get the job. You can find quite a few in the Charleston area by googling charleston headhunters.
Hey, that's advice I can use! Thank you I will do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
It's definitely harder job searching from out of state but there are some threads already on that topic. I must admit I'm unclear on what an "executive assistant" is... sort of like a secretary on steroids? No wait! That didn't come out right! I mean more like a Super-Secretary!
Actually calling an executive assistant or an administrative assistant, for that matter, a secretary is like calling a little person a midget. It could be offensive to some. I am not offended personally, but I know I have seen other professionals that would be. So here's the head's up for future reference. Although some of the work involved is what one might dub secretarial, such as: answer phones, file papers, and type. That is only a small fraction of time spent. Most of the time is spent doing work such as drafting letters for review using your own expertise to write, handling project work, managing a board of directors, managing all accounts payable and receivable, doing payroll and benefits, event planning, creating reports, answering emails etc etc. I personally do very little directly for the executive directors I work for. Maybe 5 - 10% of my time is direct support. The rest is work that I manage on my own. I also have bachelors degree. A secretary or even a Super Secretary, would likely only have a high school diploma or GED. Not that Exec Asst's are all college educated, but most will have over 3 years of experience to be in those positions. The key difference is having more responsibility with work load that could very well be handled by the executive director, CEO, or other person that the job supports. The position is designed to take some of the work load off of the professional being supported. Major projects and "executive decisions" if you will, are still done by the director.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:50 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinglife80 View Post
Actually calling an executive assistant or an administrative assistant, for that matter, a secretary is like calling a little person a midget. It could be offensive to some. I am not offended personally, but I know I have seen other professionals that would be. So here's the head's up for future reference. Although some of the work involved is what one might dub secretarial, such as: answer phones, file papers, and type. That is only a small fraction of time spent. Most of the time is spent doing work such as drafting letters for review using your own expertise to write, handling project work, managing a board of directors, managing all accounts payable and receivable, doing payroll and benefits, event planning, creating reports, answering emails etc etc. I personally do very little directly for the executive directors I work for. Maybe 5 - 10% of my time is direct support. The rest is work that I manage on my own. I also have bachelors degree. A secretary or even a Super Secretary, would likely only have a high school diploma or GED. Not that Exec Asst's are all college educated, but most will have over 3 years of experience to be in those positions. The key difference is having more responsibility with work load that could very well be handled by the executive director, CEO, or other person that the job supports. The position is designed to take some of the work load off of the professional being supported. Major projects and "executive decisions" if you will, are still done by the director.
Ah yes, I was afraid that might sound offensive and I apologize if I offended any executive assistants out there. I actually don't look down on any position including a secretary but I see the difference that you're pointing out. Many years ago I worked sort of as a "personal assistant" which is similar in some respects but not necessarily in a business setting. It was for a producer of Broadway and television shows and was really pretty interesting.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Ah yes, I was afraid that might sound offensive and I apologize if I offended any executive assistants out there. I actually don't look down on any position including a secretary but I see the difference that you're pointing out. Many years ago I worked sort of as a "personal assistant" which is similar in some respects but not necessarily in a business setting. It was for a producer of Broadway and television shows and was really pretty interesting.
I didn't think you meant any harm. I appreciate your response none the less.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,554 times
Good day,
My husband and I are looking into relocating to Charleston. We visited Mt. Pleasant for three days. We absolutely fell in love with the Southern hospitality. We do not have kids and I am a school teacher. We would like to be able to find a home where we can walk to downtown. Please advise where we should focus our search. Much appreciated.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:16 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Walk-ability is one of the most sought after property features I'm asked for and it's one of the hardest to get unless your budget is high. Are you looking to rent or buy? What size home do you want and what is your budget? It's hard to give answers without at least those details.

Where are you coming to Charleston from?

Old 08-25-2015, 03:11 PM

54 posts, read 63,576 times
I live in Rural West Ashley and love it. I came from Charlotte where my commute was a bear and barring any bridge accidents traffic isn't that bad. I love the area, close enough to downtown when we want but with a lot of "stuff" in west Ashley that doesn't require us to go downtown too.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 792 times
My adult daughter and I want to move to the Charleston area. We are looking for something around $600 a month. And away from the alligaters! Can you tell me the best areas or is our budget just too low?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area