Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:16 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,402 times

Advertisements

I accept the fact that living in the south you are going to have more bugs. I have no trouble with knowing I will have to put up with roaches now and then. Palmetto bugs, red ants etc.., but it's those darn mosquitos I hate the most. It doesn't help that they LOVE me, so my question is- Do they tend to be worst if you live in a marshy area or on a pond or lagoon. Are they better in Summerville than say Mt Pleasant. That wll definitely play a role in where I buy if they are worst in the marshy areas. I'd like to hear from people who live there for your advice. Thanks to all in advance
Patty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 06:41 PM

850 posts, read 2,650,781 times
I lived in Mt. Pleasant and West Ashley... The Mosquitos is a part of coastal living... Worse in the AM or dusk... The no-see-ums are the worst... Hide out in your grass and bite the heck out of your legs...

Old 03-21-2008, 10:20 AM

36 posts, read 167,610 times
You think they're bad in the city, try living out in the country. Honestly they don't bother me that much, but I grew up here and I guess I don't taste good :-)

To answer your question they breed in still fresh bodies of water. That can be a bucket or bird bath in your yard or swamps, lakes, and ponds (though some fish help keep those populations down). They also hide in plants, so if you're considering an urban area (more concrete than dirt), then you'll reduce them by a good bit that way. The coast does seem to have a good bit, but the coastal breeze also helps make them less miserable, you don't have that further inland.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:36 PM

890 posts, read 4,327,265 times
As the legend goes, back in the "old days" the prominent families of Charleston used to retreat to Summerville during the summer months where they had second homes to escape the mosquitoes and their diseases. I don't know how much of a difference it made. I guess there was something to it if they kept doing it. Summerville doesn't have as much water and marshy areas lying around for them to breed as Mt. Pleasant does.

Here's a clip from an article:

Situated in Dorchester County, Summerville has a total area of 15.4 square miles, not a single inch of which is covered by water. It is for this reason that the people of Charleston in the 1700's used to retreat to this pine covered ridge, so that they could escape the mosquitoes in the marshes of the lowlands and enjoy the cool breeze the city has to offer. During the summer months wealthy plantation families would leave their farms and go on holiday here, hence the place was soon labeled Summerville.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:21 PM

8 posts, read 56,340 times
Take 1 Complex Vitam B a day. It masks your genetic scent and the no-see-ums don't bite you. I moved down to FL from MD and I was all bit up within 1 week. I talked to the pharmacist and this is what he told me. It works great!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:29 PM

Default Really????

I have never heard of that before, but I'll try anything. I can't even go on my deck in the evening because they chew me alive. Nothing works I put spray on with deet and they still bite. thanks for the tip- I'll give it a try.
Patty

Old 03-28-2008, 11:28 AM

36 posts, read 167,610 times
Skin-so-soft from Avon for the gnats and Off! Deep Woods for the mosquitoes. I also don't think the complex vitamin B will work your mosquito problem because from what I understand they are attracted to the carbon dioxide you breath out and not any scent, so maybe just try holding your breath :-)

Old 03-28-2008, 11:44 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,048 times
I have too much blood in my alcohol system....No, reverse that, I have too much alcohol in blood system so when they bite they die immediately...
Probably not a remedy I recommend tho...

Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 PM

67 posts, read 366,223 times
Anyone from coastal NH to say how this mosquito problem compares to where we'd be moving from? I too hate our "state bird" and with 2 young girls, I get so tired of the layers of bugspray needed to enjoy the outdoors here. The only benefit is that our season is short. Moving to SC would mean a longer bug season and more deet on their little bodies. Up here we can not really enjoy being outside for dinner on the porch without screened porches and much deet for the grillmaster. Is that what I'm hearing from you all about the Summerville area?

Old 03-28-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBates View Post
Skin-so-soft from Avon for the gnats and Off! Deep Woods for the mosquitoes. I also don't think the complex vitamin B will work your mosquito problem because from what I understand they are attracted to the carbon dioxide you breath out and not any scent, so maybe just try holding your breath :-)
That's funny- my husband gave me the same advice about holding my breath
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area