Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 08:01 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
People moving to Berkeley County for the first time with Boeing, Volvo, etc. who are used to prompt, fast services are getting the shock of their lives.

You call 911, and the rural volunteer fire department shows up 30 minutes later. Your house gets robbed, BCSO sends somebody out...maybe they make an arrest, but the overcrowded Hill-Finklea Detention Center has a revolving door on the front of it.

They get out the next day and rob you again. Welcome to South Cackalacky!!!
Not just sc. Other states have same problem with police showing up late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 08:09 AM

624 posts, read 692,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Not just sc. Other states have same problem with police showing up late.
Very true. Just depends on your frame of reference, I suppose.

And it's not the police's fault here, might I add. A very small budget, low taxes and a county the size of Rhode Island does not make for fast response times.

There should be multiple police stations around the county, which could be divided up into precincts.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
Very true. Just depends on your frame of reference, I suppose.

And it's not the police's fault here, might I add. A very small budget, low taxes and a county the size of Rhode Island does not make for fast response times.

There should be multiple police stations around the county, which could be divided up into precincts.
It's not police fault. It's the lack of police men and women. Also funding. Even high taxes states cut funding for emergency and safety. I remember a few years back in ct a couple were in an accident. Bystander called for help and were connected to the wrong city and was told to call a different number . Fire trucks arrived atleast 5 mins or so before ambulances which in that situation ever second counts. Policed arrived around the same time as ambulances

Old 01-01-2018, 08:17 AM

25 posts, read 35,994 times
Quote:
It's not police fault. It's the lack of police men and women. Also funding. Even high taxes states cut funding for emergency and safety. I remember a few years back in ct a couple were in an accident. Bystander called for help and were connected to the wrong city and was told to call a different number . Fire trucks arrived atleast 5 mins or so before ambulances which in that situation ever second counts. Policed arrived around the same time as ambulances
I think all the folks moving to unincorporated parts of the metro area need to look long and hard at either incorporating new towns or annexing into existing cities if they want to have better services. Berkeley County has been slow to think of themselves as anything other than a rural entity with few sheriff's deputies and no county wide fire, which is a shame for a county of this population. Folks would be better of attaching to Goose Creek or forming new towns of Nexton and Cane Bay in my opinion.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider162 View Post
I think all the folks moving to unincorporated parts of the metro area need to look long and hard at either incorporating new towns or annexing into existing cities if they want to have better services. Berkeley County has been slow to think of themselves as anything other than a rural entity with few sheriff's deputies and no county wide fire, which is a shame for a county of this population. Folks would be better of attaching to Goose Creek or forming new towns of Nexton and Cane Bay in my opinion.
But many areas don't want to do that. I think Summerville wanted canebay but residents didn't want to be apart of Summerville. It might have been the pounds to think of it but either way it's something they don't want

Old 01-03-2018, 01:04 PM

25 posts, read 35,994 times
Quote:
But many areas don't want to do that. I think Summerville wanted canebay but residents didn't want to be apart of Summerville. It might have been the pounds to think of it but either way it's something they don't want
I think it is ponds that you are thinking of, Cane Bay was more on Goose Creek's radar. Either way, for those folks, they get what they pay for service-wise. It would be better for all developed areas to be under municipal control since that tends to lead to more accountability and better outcomes. I don't know what it would take to shake the prevailing attitude though.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:16 PM

624 posts, read 692,463 times
What is hilarious is Cane Bay uses a liar/fake news Summerville zip code in order to sell more houses.

Cane Bay is no more in Summerville than the man in the moon.

I wonder how many people see that and think they'll have access to Summerville services. Instead, they wind up with the Slack Patrol LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area