Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 01:00 PM

370 posts, read 325,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I don't think he should have been convicted of 2nd degree murder, rather manslaughter. I think he should have gotten closer to 10-15 years. I think he was wrong in what he did, but did not have intent to kill Scott before stopping him. Was not 2nd degree murder. In the heat of the moment, he was wrong, but Scott did resist arrest and attempt to take one of the officer's weapons as well as wrestle with the officer. It is wrong to shoot in the back, unless the suspect is fleeing and presents imminent danger to others.
+1. Perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 01:01 PM

370 posts, read 325,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can't even wrap my head around the rationale that this sentence was "excessive." Wow.
How about this:

When police tell you to stop running....you stop? It was a lawful order & WS should have complied.

Wow indeed.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:52 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
I agree completely. This is what I don't understand, from the policeman's perspective:

1.) His first trial ended in a mistrial because the jury wouldn't even find him guilty of manslaughter

2.) He pleads guilty to violating WS's civil rights and excessive force

3.) He gets a longer sentence on a more severe charge than the jury was recommending in the first place

What happened there? Of course, the media is not reporting any of this or doing any in-depth analysis.

The guy did not deserve to die and Slager deserves some jail time for sure. But what happened here, I don't know.

You said it.... the guy did not deserve to die. AND - Slager tampered with the scene because HE KNEW he'd just done something unjustifiable.

20 years is NOT excessive when you kill somebody and try to cover it up. And the fact that he's a government official abusing his power.... he got justice with mercy.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
How about this:

When police tell you to stop running....you stop? It was a lawful order & WS should have complied.

Wow indeed.

How about this.... you don't shoot somebody in the back and then try to make it look like he deserved it, by faking that he stole your police tazer. Slager knew he was in the wrong. I bet he crapped his police underwear when he found out about the video.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
+1. Perfect.

What do civilians get charged with when they shoot somebody in the back who's running away from them? And then try to tamper with the crime scene?

Old 12-08-2017, 06:14 PM

309 posts, read 257,339 times
Quote:
How about this:

Wow indeed.
Is disobeying a police officer punishable by death?

Slager lied in his initial report. He slo moved the taser and placed it next to Scott's body after he shot him. These two actions likely weighed considerably in the judge's sentence.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:28 PM

624 posts, read 692,124 times
Slager is definitely guilty. He's guilty of excessive force and lying about it.

But it isn't murder. His attorney had him sign a bad deal and now he is spending 10 years too many in prison.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:08 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
The police should be held to a higher standard. And when they betray the public trust, e.g. shooting an unarmed man in the back 8 times, they should be made an example of. That's what happened here. Nothing good. Nothing to celebrate. But it's justice.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:33 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
Slager lied in his initial report. He slo moved the taser and placed it next to Scott's body after he shot him. These two actions likely weighed considerably in the judge's sentence.
It did. They said him planting the taser nullified the apparent "taser wrestle threat." Remember the video wasn't made public immediately, Slager thought he was in the clear. And what this basically tells us is if it wasn't for the video, Slager would've walked free long ago. Happens more than you think.

I personally don't think "20 years" is enough, not at all, but that's just my opinion. At least it's something, because again, with no video evidence, Slager is walking free frolicking Second Sunday on King because of lying and tampering because he thought he had the green light to do so.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:33 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
How about this:

Wow indeed.
And not complying means you deserve to die.

Yes, wow indeed. Jesus Christ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area