Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 06:33 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,968,564 times

Advertisements

We have friends coming in February and they want to stay downtown in a nice hotel, not real high-end (like the Wentworth), but not a chain like Courtyard or Renaissance. Since it's their first visit, they also want to be right in the thick of things.

Both Belmond Charleston Place and the Market Pavilion hotel seen to fit the bill. Both seem fairly reasonable, and in good locations.

Can anyone offer opinions on either? Reputation? Personal experience? I want this to be a great stay for our guests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 08:01 PM

624 posts, read 686,814 times
Both highly rated on TripAdvisor. The Belmond is a Five-Star hotel. I would go with what it's closest to.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:36 PM

14 posts, read 20,414 times
I don't have any experience with the Market Pavilion but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who says anything negative, or even remotely negative, about Belmond. The service is beyond top notch, it's highly rated and written about. The renovations are amazing. If they can afford, or arrange, the club level, even better!

Old 01-05-2018, 08:59 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,413,875 times
You wont go wrong with either of the hotels you mentioned... both excellent choices .... so let me throw in a couple more who certainly can run with the aforementioned 'big dogs'.... The French Quarter Hotel, The Grand Bohemian ,The Dewberry and for kicks ... The George....

Old 01-05-2018, 09:48 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,227,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnesX View Post
I don't have any experience with the Market Pavilion but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who says anything negative, or even remotely negative, about Belmond. The service is beyond top notch, it's highly rated and written about. The renovations are amazing. If they can afford, or arrange, the club level, even better!
If you're spending nearly $2000/night for a Club room might as well get the Presidential suite.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:36 AM

Yeah, club room is not in the budget for them.

Cynic, I had the hotels you listed on my list as well - like them all - but they seem to be substantially higher than the Market Pavilion. Belmond pricing is all over the map - sometimes "reasonable", sometimes not.

One other one that popped up that seems fairly reasonable is The Vendue Inn, and possible Planters Inn.

One deal breaker (other than an out of the way location) for them is cleanliness. I can't remember which hotel it was, but it was in the higher end ones, where someone posted pics on TA of their legs covered in bed bugs. They (and so would I) would rather stay in a basic chain hotel that is clean than to experience something like that. What I don't want is a hotel for them that just rests on it's laurels because it has a great location.

Since we don't go into the city all that much, is the location of the Belmond preferable to the Market Pavilion? The Market Pavilion is above Fleet Landing, which we have walked to but beyond Fleet Landing on E Bay all I seem to remember were railroad cars and it didn't seem as nice of an area as right in the historic district. The whole idea of them staying in town is for them to be able to step out their door into the action, and not have to drive.

Their budget is $350 tops, preferably under $300 though. Central, safe location and CLEAN and doesn't need a facelift (soiled, broken furniture, HVAC system that doesn't work) are their top priorities. They aren't the type of people that care about status, or a great bar scene, or high-end toiletries. They will be staying mid-week so that should help a bit with the rates.

Will late February be OK walking around weather, or should I dissuade them from coming until Mar/Apr/May?

Last edited by macalan; 01-06-2018 at 09:02 AM..

Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 AM

2,523 posts, read 1,920,017 times
I believe I read somewhere that The Vendue just underwent a major renovation......hard to believe that hotel was the one with the bed bugs.
Are your friends into the art scene ?? The Vendue can offer that. But the Rooftop Bar would be better in April than February. The Mills House is in the center of Gallery Row, if that is a factor.

What's the story on the Harborview down by the water ?? Nice Location, how are the rates ??

The Andrew Pinckney Inn certainly looks nice.

I'd be interested in hearing about where your friends choose to stay and what they thought about it. We have some friends coming in this summer.....always good to have a hotel recommendation.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:37 AM

I checked, and it wasn't the Vendue that had the bed bugs, it was Planters Inn.

They aren't that into art, and after reading reviews and checking prices, it seems the two best bets are still Market Pavilion and Belmond. Harbor View if they want to splurge, but I don't see that it offers them anything that much better and is $100 higher at $349. (For a Monday in February). TA rates Harbor View #6, Market Pavilion #7, and Belmond #13.

The Belmond is $240/night and Market Pavilion is $259/night for the same time period. Still trying to learn which of these has the better location. Belmond is at 205 Meeting Street, and Market Pavilion is at 225 E Bay. In checking Google Maps, it seems each hotel is at either end of City Market, but hard to tell. Not sure which has more around it for walkable shopping and mid-range good restaurants. Pavilion maybe has the edge with the rooftop bar/terrace, but doesn't mean one has to stay there to enjoy that.

In the interest of keeping prices low, would March be ok weather, or is April still better? We went on a house tour one year downtown - either March or April, can't remember - and it was HOT, so I think May is out. Plus prices I imagine would be higher in May.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:54 AM

2,523 posts, read 1,920,017 times
March can go either way around here -- Sunny and Mild, or Cold and Damp. The Pollen is thick in March.

Room Rates probably start to creep up by April, they may be paying High Season Rates. You'd have to check with each Hotel.
Last time we were at the Charleston music Hall, I took a look around that Embassy Suites on Marion Square.....it's nice. It certainly is well located near most everything.

How 'bout the Francis Marion Hotel ?? At one time the tallest building in the Carolinas, it's full of history.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:49 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,581,309 times
Isn't it defined by what you want to be near? My preference is E. Bay and I usually choose the Vendue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area