Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 02:17 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe33075 View Post
I had not planned on posting on city data anymore due to some rude comments on another thread.

We are planning a move to the Greenville area in August. I am getting the feeling that people in that area are lot too receptive to outsiders and the best thing to do is to find other transplants to make friends with. I have joined other groups in order to meet others like me that are no native to the area. With that being said, how is the reception of transplants in the Summerville area?

I’m beginning to rethink our decision of Greenville. We’ve never been to Summerville, but we’ll be down in SC again in May and I’m thinking of making Summerville a layover to check it out. Summerville came into radar through some people we know that are planning a move down there.

Please no rude comments.

Thanks.
CD is a random internet forum. Don't make a decision on where to move your family because of it. Visit Greenville, visit Summerville, whatever you like is what you like. Over a million people live in the Greenville area, you can't get a feeling for the place off the comments of a few random internet people. Same with Charleston. You gotta visit and see for yourself.

People are gonna be rude on the internet and theyre gonna be rude in real life, but their rudeness doesn't outmatch the overall friendly nature of the state and its citizens.

Typically I can't spot transplants unless I hear them speak or they have a UM or Syracuse hat on. You'll blend in. My girlfriend and I seem to have more transplant friends than native friends. I interned in an office where the transplants easily outnumbered us natives. We don't care. Friends are friends. You'll make them regardless of where you move.

Just come visit and see what you like, I promise you we're a friendly bunch. You don't have to strategically look for other transplants to pal around with, otherwise what's the point ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 08:39 PM

132 posts, read 113,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
CD is a random internet forum. Don't make a decision on where to move your family because of it. Visit Greenville, visit Summerville, whatever you like is what you like. Over a million people live in the Greenville area, you can't get a feeling for the place off the comments of a few random internet people. Same with Charleston. You gotta visit and see for yourself.

People are gonna be rude on the internet and theyre gonna be rude in real life, but their rudeness doesn't outmatch the overall friendly nature of the state and its citizens.

Typically I can't spot transplants unless I hear them speak or they have a UM or Syracuse hat on. You'll blend in. My girlfriend and I seem to have more transplant friends than native friends. I interned in an office where the transplants easily outnumbered us natives. We don't care. Friends are friends. You'll make them regardless of where you move.

Just come visit and see what you like, I promise you we're a friendly bunch. You don't have to strategically look for other transplants to pal around with, otherwise what's the point ya know?
We’ve been to Greenville a few times. Never to Charleston we will definitely visit the area before we decide on where to settle we will be renting first so that will give us time to look around and get a feel for the place.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:
We’ve been to Greenville a few times. Never to Charleston we will definitely visit the area before we decide on where to settle we will be renting first so that will give us time to look around and get a feel for the place.
Good, but like I said, don't put that much stock in the fact that you'll be a transplant. SC is ~60% native, not like yall are some fringe minority group stuffed in the corner. Don't look for other transplants either, just meet who you meet.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:41 AM

35 posts, read 47,983 times
We lived in Summerville for 10 years. Relationships are difficult to build, traffic is a mess and schools are crowded. If you are moving with already established friendships, you will fare much better.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:46 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksizemore View Post
We lived in Summerville for 10 years. Relationships are difficult to build, traffic is a mess and schools are crowded. If you are moving with already established friendships, you will fare much better.
When I moved I didn't have a problem meeting people. That depends on the person you are. Traffic is bad everywhere you go in every state. I seen much worse than what's around here.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:22 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Quote:
...find other transplants to make friends with...
That's been my experience as well. That's not to say the "natives" aren't nice. Sure, there are some that have that attitude towards outsiders, but I wouldn't say it is true across the board.

I've lived in SC nearly 10 years now and I'm still a damned yankee. I'm lucky that I work with a group of people that are mostly outsiders. So we are outsiders together. And we get along just fine. I have it easy. My wife has it harder though. When we had kids, she resigned her position with a good company to raise the kids. And we are very grateful we live in an area where one good salary allows us to live like kings (sort of). However, she has more contact with natives than I do (mom's groups and playdates, etc). And generally speaking, she has to really pick and choose. Some are not very receptive, like the OP said, to outsiders.

It isn't like she treats natives any different. She doesn't really care. This will sound stereotypical, but we've lost so many possible friendships in this area when natives inevitably have to ask where our "home church" is. Good luck dodging that question. It is like we can't be friends unless we go to the same church. And don't get me started on politics. Without revealing my own political preferences I'll just say that a "Northern Conservative" might as well be a liberal in this state. And a democrat? There are many choice 4-letter words for those down here.

For the record for the OP, I live in Summerville. I've never been to Greenville myself. I find Summerville a nice place to live. I think that might be the town motto though... I must've been brainwashed.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:58 PM

10,088 posts, read 7,763,936 times
I have to be honest. When I'm sitting in traffic that's not moving and I'm frustrated, I will say under my breath "those danged Yankees all moving down here". I can't lie about that. I've heard others in the car say it also. lol I'm sure all transplants are super nice people but I just get so frustrated at all the traffic and take it out on others that have made the move down here.

I love love love Greenville. The people are so friendly. Don't judge the whole Greenville area just from people in an online forum. I remember when I first moved there, I couldn't believe how nice everyone was. I loved that area and will probably move back one day.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:03 PM

132 posts, read 113,756 times
Thank you all for your comments.

I truely understand. We are easy going people. We don’t judge, we are respectful to others. From what we’ve experienced on our trips down south, we’ve found people to be friendly I will not judge all on the comments of a few negative people.

We live on the outskirts on NYC and we’ve seen traffic increase like crazy up here too from people moving up. I can’t be upset as I moved up rom NYC over 20 years ago.

I’m looking forward to coming down and visiting the Charleston area.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:47 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,119 times
I myself am a Yankee transplant and never felt like I didn't belong or wasn't welcomed. As a professional that helps people buy and sell houses, I've helped many people relocate to our area and I don't know of anyone who is unhappy because of an "attitude". The biggest complaits I hear are the humidity and lately the traffic. The people are great and it's quite a melting pot of all ages from all parts of the country. Summerville is a hot market experiencing tons of growth. I would definitely give it consideration for relocating. I've lived here for 14 years and wouldn't leave!

Old 01-21-2018, 07:11 PM

50 posts, read 51,717 times
Hi JoAnne!
Thanks for sharing the back story on the diversity in your workplace. I don’t know any lawyers in the area personally, but thinking back on the various advertisements I have seen for attorneys in town, I can only recall white males, so it doesn’t surprise me to hear your office is a similar composition. Obviously in a small office with not a huge number of employees, it is going to be more difficult to get widespread diversity (especially when it is a family practice). It is good to hear that the lack of diversity hasn’t been a problem for your office which illustrates that the negative effects can be mitigated with awareness of the issue.
I find it very interesting and cool that you mention that you share religious beliefs with your colleagues in the office. People often think of diversity as a racial issue but you make a great point that it goes beyond that. It’s nice that you’ve found that common ground. Diversity really can include religious beliefs, politics, and age among other things. Having diversity in each of these areas will only help to broaden the perspective of the group and lead to more informed decisions.
Good job for making the commitment for being the change you seek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area