Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:09 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,640,452 times

Advertisements

Your right Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 06:20 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrd463 View Post
Charleston has become a lot like Atlanta. A southern city, but not very southern in terms of population within the city limits.
I disagree with this. Charleston continues to maintain much more of its Southern roots than Atlanta. Perhaps that is because Atlanta is a much more metropolitan city than Charleston is. Southern is a culture and a lifestyle. I believe Charleston has changed as it's grown, but I don't believe its lost much of what it is to be Southern at a macro level.

Rick, I wasn't attempting to be confrontational. Just trying to answer your question as I felt you were asking it. I apologize if I came across as harsh.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:28 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I disagree with this. Charleston continues to maintain much more of its Southern roots than Atlanta. Perhaps that is because Atlanta is a much more metropolitan city than Charleston is.
That, and the fact that Charleston is more stereotypically Southern than Atlanta. When most people think "Southern," they think of the Deep South imagery that characterizes places like Charleston: oaks draped in Spanish moss, genteel accents, Southern cuisine, plantations and cotton fields, etc. Atlanta is a Piedmont city with more industrial roots that never heavily relied on agriculture so the perception is much different.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:37 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
It's all perception. Texans think they are Southern. I couldn't disagree more. I also don't think of Louisiana as Southern. Especially the area around New Orleans.

Atlanta was once the absolute definition of Southern. It started changing dramatically in the early 70s. What exists there today isn't Southern in the least. Again, perception.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:04 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,640,452 times
Isnull,,,,no problem

Old 02-21-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
It's all perception. Texans think they are Southern. I couldn't disagree more. I also don't think of Louisiana as Southern. Especially the area around New Orleans.
There's more than one way to be "Southern." And all of Louisiana isn't like New Orleans. Even so, New Orleans is just a different version of Southern and there's no other region of the country I could envision New Orleans being in but the South.

Quote:
Atlanta was once the absolute definition of Southern. It started changing dramatically in the early 70s. What exists there today isn't Southern in the least. Again, perception.
Atlanta has long been the face of the South, but it was never "the absolute definition of Southern." I fail to see how that could be the case when it didn't even have a plantation economy in place.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:35 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's more than one way to be "Southern." And all of Louisiana isn't like New Orleans. Even so, New Orleans is just a different version of Southern and there's no other region of the country I could envision New Orleans being in but the South.

Atlanta has long been the face of the South, but it was never "the absolute definition of Southern." I fail to see how that could be the case when it didn't even have a plantation economy in place.

By your definition. Not mine. Thus, the problem with perception. I personally think New Orleans has too much of a French feel to be truly Southern. But it's my opinion.

Mobile is very Southern, and, like Atlanta, a hub.

You seem, once again, to take issue with opinions not being in line with yours. Since there is no standardized definition of "Southern", you're just going to have to accept it.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:56 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Charleston has always hosted transplants. It’s been a military town since the Revolutionary War.
If it wasn’t for transplants and outside investment, about half the Penninsula would still be dilapidated after countless fires, earthquakes, hurricanes, bombardments, poor economic conditions, and age.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
By your definition. Not mine. Thus, the problem with perception. I personally think New Orleans has too much of a French feel to be truly Southern. But it's my opinion.

Mobile is very Southern, and, like Atlanta, a hub.

You seem, once again, to take issue with opinions not being in line with yours. Since there is no standardized definition of "Southern", you're just going to have to accept it.
I don't "take issue" with your opinions; I simply disagree and state why. That's the purpose of this discussion board and you shouldn't expect everyone to think like you. There's nothing contentious in my responses whatsoever.

I agree that there's no standardized definition of "Southern," but seeing as though the South is the nation's largest region, your definition seems to be a bit narrow. There will obviously be variations within such an expansive region.

Question: How is Mobile a hub in the same vein as Atlanta? Not sure what you mean by that.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:10 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Well now, I'm originally from Southern Georgia and southern as all get out so here's my impression of Charleston. Back twenty years or so when we moved here, it felt Southern through and through but a bit more sophisticated Southern than I've seen other places. Now, not as much. Still has it's famous Southern architecture, food, and even, at times, mannerisms but it's starting to lack that laid back quality which seems to pervade Southern culture. Now, compared to places up North, sure it has "Southern" in spades but compared to other Southern locales, Atlanta notwithstanding, it's a bit more edgy, fast paced, and short tempered. As a tourist or someone from off, I would guess you wouldn't notice the difference. I suspect many of our Southern cities are experiencing something similar since so many people are moving to our region.

For me, it was getting to me a bit so I just moved out to the country where I still feel that bit of Southern in my daily life. Makes my commute a bear when I have to go to town but it was worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area