Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 02:03 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
I don't get this. Did you mess up the decimal?
A half acre gives you some nice elbow room in Mount Pleasant (which is getting a little crowded).
Also, it written like a half acre is small yet where are the huge lots in Old Village?
I didn’t get that either. Cookie cutter on half an acre? Those aren’t cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 06:21 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyroundtree View Post
Speaking of voting... what's the deal with the Coleman Blvd project to put in medians? Sounds like the crux is a trade-off between safety or congestion?
They are trying to enhance pedestrian safety in that area. The medians is definitely not something everyone agrees on.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:43 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
The businesses believe they will lose customers because someone might have to drive a block and turn around vs moving to a suicide lane and turning.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:23 AM

23 posts, read 22,482 times
I firmly believe that almost everything in life comes down to priorities, and being honest with yourself, and (most importantly) being honest with yourself about your priorities. That's what this discussion/debate/whatever is, really (medians aside). People buy houses based on the overlap of "what they want" and "what they can afford." Very few people have the privilege of living exactly where they would want to be. The friction comes in when people try to justify their choice by saying it's the "best," rather than "the best that we could do based on our priorities and our budget." There are a few people in my office who live in Coosaw Creek who are always talking about how great Coosaw Creek is and why it's better than everywhere else and how everyone should move there. But the rest of us just make fun of them because we know that the reason they're in Coosaw is that they wanted the Daniel Island/Mt P gated community McMansion experience but couldn't afford it. There are a lot of people in North Mt P who would would totally be in South Mt P if they could afford a big nice house there. There are a lot of people in South Mt P would would totally be downtown if they could afford a big nice house there. Meanwhile, I bought a fixer-upper in Wagener Terrace because I wanted to be on the peninsula and that's the best I could manage. I love my house and my neighborhood and I'm really happy with my choices, but if I won the lottery I would move south of Broad in a heartbeat.

That said, I do totally understand what the OP is saying about the ineffable appeal of living close to the things that make Charleston so special. That's why I live on the peninsula despite being a homebody who mostly just watches Netflix with her cats. I could watch Netflix with my cats in a subdivision in Ladson and have a much lower mortgage payment, but I really value being able to walk to happy hour or bike to the Battery on those rare occasions when I feel like leaving the house.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kationation View Post
I firmly believe that almost everything in life comes down to priorities, and being honest with yourself, and (most importantly) being honest with yourself about your priorities. That's what this discussion/debate/whatever is, really (medians aside). People buy houses based on the overlap of "what they want" and "what they can afford." Very few people have the privilege of living exactly where they would want to be. The friction comes in when people try to justify their choice by saying it's the "best," rather than "the best that we could do based on our priorities and our budget." There are a few people in my office who live in Coosaw Creek who are always talking about how great Coosaw Creek is and why it's better than everywhere else and how everyone should move there. But the rest of us just make fun of them because we know that the reason they're in Coosaw is that they wanted the Daniel Island/Mt P gated community McMansion experience but couldn't afford it. There are a lot of people in North Mt P who would would totally be in South Mt P if they could afford a big nice house there. There are a lot of people in South Mt P would would totally be downtown if they could afford a big nice house there. Meanwhile, I bought a fixer-upper in Wagener Terrace because I wanted to be on the peninsula and that's the best I could manage. I love my house and my neighborhood and I'm really happy with my choices, but if I won the lottery I would move south of Broad in a heartbeat.

That said, I do totally understand what the OP is saying about the ineffable appeal of living close to the things that make Charleston so special. That's why I live on the peninsula despite being a homebody who mostly just watches Netflix with her cats. I could watch Netflix with my cats in a subdivision in Ladson and have a much lower mortgage payment, but I really value being able to walk to happy hour or bike to the Battery on those rare occasions when I feel like leaving the house.
Money being no object, I would go for I’On over Old Village. Old Village is too freestyle for me.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
The businesses believe they will lose customers because someone might have to drive a block and turn around vs moving to a suicide lane and turning.
If they did more parking garages and onstreet parking that wouldn’t be a problem. Just park and walk or ride a bike. That’s what everybody envisions themselves doing anyway right?

Old 02-27-2018, 09:50 AM

480 posts, read 503,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Money being no object, I would go for I’On over Old Village. Old Village is too freestyle for me.
This is crazy! You would rather be in I'On (Why I'On? Because pretentious is more difficult to spell. makes me laugh every time) vs a house on the harbor looking out at Charleston?

Old 02-27-2018, 09:57 AM

27 posts, read 25,645 times
I'On is charming to drive through but the reality of living there seems likely to be quite the opposite.

Love the Old Village, but it can be expensive for a rebuild and, while there are beautiful homes, there are also a lot of homes that will need to be turned over/ updated before it loses the "freestyle" feel.

With location being a key, another plug for The Oaks from me- new construction and location.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
This is crazy! You would rather be in I'On (Why I'On? Because pretentious is more difficult to spell. makes me laugh every time) vs a house on the harbor looking out at Charleston?
Cause it’s a much cleaner authentic replica of downtown Charleston without all the grimey bits.

Remember, the view of Charleston from Mount Pleasant is mostly a container port.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyguy126 View Post
I'On is charming to drive through but the reality of living there seems likely to be quite the opposite.

Love the Old Village, but it can be expensive for a rebuild and, while there are beautiful homes, there are also a lot of homes that will need to be turned over/ updated before it loses the "freestyle" feel.

With location being a key, another plug for The Oaks from me- new construction and location.
What’s the reality vs perception of living in I’On?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area