Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 11:25 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
Oh, ok. All those neighborhoods down there run together to me, and I've never had an interest in that area.

I don't know if I would want to live down there and work at Volvo, though? Just for curiosity, I did Google directions for 7:30am Monday and got travel times ranging from 35 minutes to 1 hr 5 minutes.
From that area it will be closer to 30mins. Never took me an hour an 5mins unless you are going through town and hitting everystop there is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 07:22 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
There are quite a few nice subdivisions on the west side of Summerville. As a starting point, look around Orangeburg Road, subdivisions like Drakesborough (there's another nice new one, and I can't think of the name right now) You'd be that much closer to Volvo. The schools are located close to there also.

Instead of an In-Law Suite, perhaps you could look for Downstairs Master Bedroom with en Suite Bath. Mom could use that, while you folks use the Bedrooms upstairs. A full-on IL Suite is going to limit your choices drastically.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:03 AM

727 posts, read 715,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
There are quite a few nice subdivisions on the west side of Summerville. As a starting point, look around Orangeburg Road, subdivisions like Drakesborough (there's another nice new one, and I can't think of the name right now) You'd be that much closer to Volvo. The schools are located close to there also.

Instead of an In-Law Suite, perhaps you could look for Downstairs Master Bedroom with en Suite Bath. Mom could use that, while you folks use the Bedrooms upstairs. A full-on IL Suite is going to limit your choices drastically.
This would be my choice if I worked at Volvo, and had the OP's budget to work with. I would look for either an already built home closer to the plant, or buy a lot and build what I want.

The problem in coming from the other area is getting on 26. Even though it would be a reverse commute of sorts once you get there, you still have to deal with all the traffic trying to access the 26 interchange, or go a long way around.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:20 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
There might be a back road entrance to that new plant, he might not even need to get on 26.

Is it Reminisce the one I'm thinking of back there ?? Carolina Bay ??

Old 02-26-2018, 07:17 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
That cane bay seems intriguing as well. D.
Timely comments here:

https://www.postandcourier.com/opini...b6f50b411.html

Old 02-26-2018, 08:00 PM

28 posts, read 36,632 times
Thanks for the responses y'all. I now have a phone interview on Wednesday so the process has officially begun. My wife just told my her mother won't be able to come for a year or 2 so I would definitely have plenty of time to find the right area. How is the rental market down there? Is there anything affordable (3 bedrooms for now with no in law) in the 1200-1300 a month range. This would let my wife not work until we found appropriate child care for our infant. I'm not sure about down there, but here there's a 9 month to 1 year waitlist for all of the decent child care facilities.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
There might be a back road entrance to that new plant, he might not even need to get on 26.

Is it Reminisce the one I'm thinking of back there ?? Carolina Bay ??
Looking at google maps it looks like it would make perfect sense to have the interstate have an exit right there by the plant. Has there been any rumors of that happening? Anytime I map quest a drive to the plant from the summerville area it has me going around to the northeast side (can't remember the highway) and coming in what appears to be a 2 lane road. That seems like that would be quite the congestion once things get under way.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Wow!!! My wife said no way would she live there with one way in and out. Haha. That does look like one massive cluster as well.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:05 AM

727 posts, read 715,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Thanks for the responses y'all. I now have a phone interview on Wednesday so the process has officially begun. My wife just told my her mother won't be able to come for a year or 2 so I would definitely have plenty of time to find the right area. How is the rental market down there? Is there anything affordable (3 bedrooms for now with no in law) in the 1200-1300 a month range. This would let my wife not work until we found appropriate child care for our infant. I'm not sure about down there, but here there's a 9 month to 1 year waitlist for all of the decent child care facilities.
Rent is expensive here, and I think $1200-$1300 for a 3/2 is more apartment or townhouse range for something nice. I'll research some more, but found this house for now: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M64564-29832

It's above your rental price, but the location would be good for the plant. The neighborhood is fine, it's just about 1/2 of your eventual housing budget so probably not what you want long term.

I'll check the neighborhood forum about day care. I do see a lot of requests for in-home child care, so not sure if there are waiting lists or the rates are high.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:13 AM

93 posts, read 86,225 times
We looked at Cane Bay and decided there was no way we would want to move there. We re building in Summers Corner now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area