Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 6,225 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum. I have been offered an opportunity to work an IT support position in Charleston and will be moving there within the next few weeks. I was originally gonna be in Cherry Point which is an hour away from where I'm currently located in Coastal North Carolina, but they found out that they're not hiring there so they're sending me to the Charleston location. My office will be in Goose Creek which is way North of town so I'm looking at living at around that area or in Summerville as suggested by my contractor. I'm not looking at spending much on my place. I'll be there this weekend to look at some places there as well as check out the area in general, but I want to know what the good areas are and what the questionable areas are. Based on my research, North Charleston is crime land and Hanahan seems very ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:23 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,868,656 times
What is your price range?

Old 03-01-2018, 11:11 PM

No more than $900.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:28 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,456,537 times
Please dont generalize North Charleston. Hanahan is a fine option, Goose Creek is manageable too, though the left side is likely more homeowners than renters. There may be some options around the Red Bank Rd area.

There’s actually some areas in North Charleston around the US78 that could possibly work as well, and there may be some options in the Ladson area. Ultimately what you pay is what you get. Under $900 could be low for a nicer place, but I would check rental sites. Not Craigslist.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:51 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,218,705 times
Hannahan is a good option but for practical purposes some portions of Hanahan function as North Charleston, some portions of North Charleston are functionally Summerville, etc. Because of waterways, the interstate, the Air Force Base and our wonky road network our towns are not as concise and homogenous as people from away would assume. From one side of a road to another or a distance as short as 1/2 mile changes the overall demeanor of things pretty considerably.

I'll also add that most of North Charleston's crime is not random and it is not equally spread through the city.

You are doing yourself a major favor by trying to live and work in the same area. Its really the only way to manage traffic.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:17 AM

727 posts, read 717,046 times
I suggest you contact one of the rental agencies. Miler Properties is one I've heard of.

The only ones I could find in your budget that I would personally consider (in Summerville) were an apartment attached to a house, and a motel-y type apartment, both in Summerville:

https://hotpads.com/546-orangeburg-r...483-snz9r5/pad
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M62488-66052

The one attached to the house is old, but in a safe area. The other is in an ok area, but you'd have to go see who else lives there. Both could be challenging commutes.

Found this one in Hanahan--Forest Cove Apartments: https://www.forrent.com/apartment-co...ile/1000053065. Cheap, but surprisingly good reviews. I can't vouch for the area, though.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:04 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,594,491 times
I don't think I would recommend Forest Cove. When I was looking to move here that was one place on my list to look at because I liked the brick area in the kitchen. I called the police station to ask about that area and they didn't come right out and say bad things about the complex, they told me there were 2 roads that weren't the best to live between (I don't remember the names) and Forest Cove was in that area. It could be a perfectly fine area, but I wasn't comfortable with it after my research.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:53 PM

Hey guys. Made my trip to the area Friday and spent the night down there so that I was able to get up in the morning Saturday and check out some places. I am set to be in the Summervile, Goose Creek, Hanahan areas. My main source of apartment reviews and recommendations is apartmentratings.com. So after looking at recommendation ratings there as well as visiting some places there in person, minus some ones I had on my list, I've narrowed it down to these 3 places:

Rosewood Townhomes Goose Creek, SC - https://www.apartments.com/rosewood-...ek-sc/1n1tpm5/
Colonial Village at Windsor Place Goose Creek, SC - Colonial Village at Windsor Place - Apartments in Charleston SC- MAA
Cobblestone Village Summerville, SC - https://www.cobblestonevillage-apts.com/

Rosewood Townhomes is 10 minutes to work and the buildings are brick which is awesome! I like the floorplan layout. Colonial Village is about 15-20 minutes to work and I love the size of the living room in the 1 bedroom floorplan! But having the bathroom in the bedroom irks me because I want my guests to access the bathroom without having to sneak into the bedroom to interrupt my sleep. Could be worth it for the awesome space! But so far, I think I may be settling with Cobblestone Village. It has everything I could ever want. The price is perfect. Its a gated community and the amenities are great. Catch is that work is 30 minutes out. Would it be worth the commute to be in a much nicer complex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I don't think I would recommend Forest Cove. When I was looking to move here that was one place on my list to look at because I liked the brick area in the kitchen. I called the police station to ask about that area and they didn't come right out and say bad things about the complex, they told me there were 2 roads that weren't the best to live between (I don't remember the names) and Forest Cove was in that area. It could be a perfectly fine area, but I wasn't comfortable with it after my research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
Found this one in Hanahan--Forest Cove Apartments: https://www.forrent.com/apartment-co...ile/1000053065. Cheap, but surprisingly good reviews. I can't vouch for the area, though.
Trust me, I'm not going to mess with that place. My main source of reviews is apartmentratings.com and I go by the recommendation rating. And the rating there is not great. Going no less than 70%.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:03 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,868,656 times
Did you get a feel for the area?

Old 03-07-2018, 02:16 PM

Well I'm pulling the trigger on Cobblestone. Filled out the application, got it accepted, put in my deposit, and now awaiting to sign the lease. Going back down there this weekend to hopefully see my new home. Right now, I'm looking at what cable services are there. Looks to me like its xfinity that's there. Went online to see what deals they have there and when I went to put in the new address, it says it wasn't recognized... I even tried cablemover.com, but its giving me either the same thing or they said its Xfinity. Just to be sure, I called Xfinity to see if they're there in that area, but they seem to be getting the same result... Last thing I did was call the leasing office and they said its Xfinity that they have there. How come I can't sign up for the service online? Has anybody ran into this issue before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area