Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:28 AM

110 posts, read 565,685 times

Advertisements

Any ways to get rid of or keep out roaches without using any harsh chemicals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 AM

890 posts, read 4,327,809 times
Walked out to my garage the other night and flipped on the light and there sat a mammoth palmetto bug. EEEKKKKKK! My lab just laid there and stared at it. I wasn't about to try and pick up the large overgrown creature, heck no! Those things are quick and if you don't hold them firm enough they escape and run up your arm. LOL So I just swooshed it out with a broom and it scurried away. I'm sure it probably found it's way back in and is lying in wait.

I don't know if it is possible to ever be rid of them, but you can keep them under control. Even when we had our place sprayed professionally we still would find them from time to time. We just pick up the Home Defense do-it-yourself spray jugs and spray the outside around the entire house and some areas inside, like the attic, the garage and the storage areas ourselves every couple of months. Looks like it's that time again.

Last edited by scjj; 04-02-2008 at 08:42 AM..

Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times
Sounds like you have a smart lab. He/she knows those things fly and didn't want any part of that. lol

Home Defense is great for keeping spider's out of places. For some reason they love making their home in my garage but since I've been using it I haven't seen any.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Boric acid isnt all that harsh. Treating the inside of your walls, attics, and the underside of your house can only deter bugs. They eventually will come back.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:14 PM

85 posts, read 299,437 times
The 18 months I lived in Charleston I never saw any in my house. We had all the area's with openings sprayed professionally once a month.

I saw few downtown in the downtown area, but I really dont see what the big deal is...they dont hurt you & while they are a bit creepy it is nothing to deter one from living in Chucktown.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 PM

25 posts, read 127,124 times
Roaches are just absolutely my worst fear and I moved here 3 years ago. I have a brand new house and I have lived in it for a year and I had problems with roaches and I'm OCD about cleaning. They would come out at night and yes they are palmetto roaches which is a term for BIG ROACH..I don't care if it flies or not, it's disgusting and it's still a roach. We had HomeTEam Defense take care of our exterminating and we still had a few problems so I would definitely tell you to make sure you have someone come out and stay on top of it!!! I don't think it is a once you have one...you'll always have one. I think they say if you see one..there's more...perhaps someone misinformed you. You can get rid of them..rest assure.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:11 AM

2 posts, read 11,244 times
I had a huge problem with roaches. I tried everything. the ONLY thing that worked was Boric Acid. I bought a huge can, sprinkeled around the stove, refrigerator, all around the house. In a matter of weeks, they were ALL GONE. I was stunned but happy!.
Try it - it really works.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 AM

85 posts, read 299,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyboy View Post
I had a huge problem with roaches. I tried everything. the ONLY thing that worked was Boric Acid. I bought a huge can, sprinkled around the stove, refrigerator, all around the house. In a matter of weeks, they were ALL GONE. I was stunned but happy!.
Try it - it really works.
Do you mind answering where in Charleston & what type of housing you were in?

Another option for some if you deathly fearful is to move into a newer apartment complex and get a third floor apartment. Being off the ground would greatly reduce the likelihood of having an infestation. Plus I do believe the better complexes have a monthly or bimonthly pest guy come around to each unit.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:31 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
as mentioned by a few others on this thread....Boric Acid!!

We got rid of the pest guys and only use Boric Acid! (much cheaper and alot more effective).

You can even purchase it at Wal-Mart.

Here's a few links I have provided folks in the past if interested:

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/pest...ric%20Acid.pdf

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/boricgen.pdf (broken link)

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...near-dean.html

Old 04-04-2008, 06:34 AM

16 posts, read 63,479 times
I'm in south FL, but being in the subtropics we have our roach problems as well. My husband used to work for a pest control company and he learned a lot from them. The big roaches (palmetto bugs) don't infest homes, they live outside. The best way to keep them out is to caulk all the cracks and openings you can find. The smaller roaches are the ones you need to worry about inside your house. We don't spray or use any type of insecticide inside the house, but we do spray the perimeter outside the house with a regular bug spray, nothing special. This has kept the bugs out. We do occasionally see a roach, spider or maybe some ants, but very rarely. You can definitely do it yourself without hiring a pest control company. Being in an apartment complex is another story! I do agree about being in a newer place, and once you are there try caulking any openings you see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area