Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 AM

20 posts, read 73,692 times

Advertisements

Hi Gloria
I also am intrigued by Salon 401. The reviews are so good it makes one suspcious!!!!!!!! Anyway, I think I'll take the plunge -- what the heck, its just hair and it will grow back. Plus Walterboro is such a quaint town it will be a nice drive and plenty of time to get all the tears out if it doesn't go well.

I'll post as soon as I go -- you do the same!

Best of luck and your entry had me laughing, thanks! Be well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 08:05 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
My DW loves the little salon there on Short Central in Summerville, right next to the pole dancing class place, go figure......

Old 05-27-2010, 08:25 AM

103 posts, read 235,184 times
Default Salon 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormyjane View Post
Hi Gloria
I also am intrigued by Salon 401. The reviews are so good it makes one suspcious!!!!!!!! Anyway, I think I'll take the plunge -- what the heck, its just hair and it will grow back. Plus Walterboro is such a quaint town it will be a nice drive and plenty of time to get all the tears out if it doesn't go well.

I'll post as soon as I go -- you do the same!

Best of luck and your entry had me laughing, thanks! Be well.
Don't be suspicious. I'm an out-of-stater who spends time in Charleston and went to Salon 401 because of these reviews. I did drove out to Walterboro during the winter months when I was visiting Charleston.

Mitchell does indeed cut hair very well. I have curly hair and not everybody can do it right--I'm going crazy right now up north in a new location trying to find someone who's any good with curly hair. I can't fly to Walterboro every time I need a haircut! I did not get it colored.

My only quibble was this. There are whole web sites and blogs on curly hair, and unanimously they say do not, do not put conditioner on after the shampoo. It makes curly hair get kind of mushy and limp. My previous (good) haircutters knew this. Mitchell was adamant about putting in conditioner no matter how good naturedly I protested. He's very opinionated, but in a nice way. So I gave in then went home, washed it again without putting in conditioner. The cut, however, held up well in your humid climate. I even had a photo taken to bring to my next haircutter, but they couldn't do it!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:19 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,840 times
I have had great luck with New Creations in Summerville on West 8th North Street. Color and Cuts are great!!

Old 05-30-2010, 06:24 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
I'm still using Kari Smith at Bon Ami on Folly Rd in N. James Island, thanks to a recommendation from someone on this board... and I have used her pretty much since I got here after paying too much for a mediocre cut at an expensive Salon on King Street that supposedly Reese Weatherspoon went to.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:57 AM

2 posts, read 11,126 times
Default Salon 401

So I went to Salon 401 in Walterboro, because my hair was driving me so totally nuts!!! Everything I read on this forum is absolutely correct!! I now have a hairdresser that I trust and love!!! Mitchell is a hair doctor in my book!!!! He cut and highlighted my hair yesterday and it looks awesome!!! I feel like myself again. Not only is he the best hairdresser that I have experienced, he's kind hearted and so professional....and not only that...he's soooo fast! I had a 12:30 appt. and I was out of there by 1:45. Drive to Walterboro...it's worth it if you want to be at ease without the concern of "I hope this person knows what they're doing with my hair" ...because I've lived that way for 15 years and spent thousands of dollars and no satisfaction! Mitchell...if you read this..Thank you for being who you are and working for us ladies that desperately need you to make us beautiful...because that's how I finally feel again today!!!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:40 PM

20 posts, read 73,692 times
Default salon 401

I also checked out Mitchell and have nothing but good things to say! He's a bona fide professional. His talent and skill are natural bi-products of years worth of experience and a sincere passion and respect for his trade, nay art.
Add to this an innately sweet, kind and generous soul and you wouldn't mind if he buzz cut your hair -- you would still leave smiling (okay, maybe just a few tears later!).
I love the shop, it has a great "feel" to it -- funky with lots of character. Plus the other staff members are nice and easy to be around (a real treat).
Anyway, I have found my hair dresser -- I don't need or want to look any further. If I didn't have such admiration for the man, I wouldn't post this because now he will be even busier!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,125 times
Ladies I feel your pain, that's why I Googled this. I'm new here...from Florida where I had the perfect hairdresser!!! I'm scared. .....but I do not want to drive to Myrtle Beach. I live close to Park West so might try there. I don't know where James Island is yet, but will look it up! Thanks for all the great info. and keep it coming. I think I have another month left on this haircut. I could go for four months on her cuts!!! If I was rich, I'd fly her here!! Thanks laides for the tips. I saw one ad for a shop in Mt. Pleasant about a great cutter, but her picture was so unattractive, with fake bleached out hair, lots of make-up and blubbery...I thought...I'm not going to her ..she doesn't even look good. I want a natural look! Thanks again ladies. Donna

Old 08-13-2010, 01:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Welcome to City Data Donna....

James Island is due south of Charleston Proper, not hard to find....

Old 09-09-2010, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,031 times
Have any of you tried Alexandria's Salon and Spa??
It's on the corner of 17 and 41. I just moved to the area and I kept hearing about Alexandria's. I went to Allison for a haircut and Danielle for my color. I have never been happier. Even though I have been going to the same person forever, they really catered to my needs and made me feel so comfortable. I will recommend everyone to go there. You will LOVE it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area