Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 12:02 PM

131 posts, read 298,304 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm going to move to Charleston once I save enough money and land a job there. In brief, I'm in administration with a fairly decent professional background in the field. It's neither spectacular nor shoddy.

I've read the Charleston job market isn't exactly thriving for those in my chosen field and for this reason, as well as my solidly average professional background, I don't want to merely submit job applications once I save enough money. I want to network with influential staff members at prospective employers and ingratiate myself with them by filling them in on my strengths and accomplishments.

I've gotten nowhere by emailing human resources staff members and so I'm very much hoping you can help point me in the direction of next steps. How do I track down the correct staff members - the people who'll do more than just tell me to apply for openings via the website - and find their contact information? And what do I say to them? What would you want to hear?

There's one more detail: I don't currently live in Charleston. I live in the Midwest. So, all of this would have to be done from afar versus local networking events.

Moving to Charleston would make this girl joyous, so I'd VERY much appreciate any advice you have to share! Thanks in advance! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 01:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Worth a shot:

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/?l=Ch...&hp=public&p=1

Old 05-01-2018, 06:16 PM

216 posts, read 299,888 times
Seems Mercedes and Volvo are having trouble finding employees...seems as if your interviewing for a job, you should start preping yourself for a 'cleanse'

Old 05-02-2018, 10:57 AM

Thanks, lizardspock! unbalancedwood, apologies, I don't quite follow you...

Does anyone happen to know of any administrative jobs or general job networking groups in Charleston that I could join from afar, by chance?

Old 05-02-2018, 12:32 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,769 times
Maybe indeed.com

Old 05-02-2018, 12:48 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
I know alot of people would disagree but I would look into a temp to hire agency that could get you in the door of somewhere that would be very hard to get into off the street. Now with that said idk what salary requirements you were looking for but you wont be more than between 15 to 20 $$ an hour going thru them but that depends on the job..

Old 05-02-2018, 01:54 PM

153 posts, read 130,272 times
I may be wrong, but I think temp-to-hire agencies typically tell you to contact them once you have already moved into the area. I've tried temp agencies from out of town before and most aren't interested until you are located in the city.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:50 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
I may be wrong, but I think temp-to-hire agencies typically tell you to contact them once you have already moved into the area. I've tried temp agencies from out of town before and most aren't interested until you are located in the city.
No one has to know where you live

Old 05-02-2018, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, all!

ayoskillz, I really appreciate the suggestion, but I'd be too nervous to move without having a permanent job lined up. Plus, in my experience at least, temp agencies aren't that dependable. The staff can be a bit flaky. Apologies if I offend anyone with that comment! That's just my own personal experience.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:27 PM

14 posts, read 20,023 times
To find contacts use linkedin and search company and positions you want. Perhaps make it seem like you are in the area but that can be a double edge sword. Find a good recruiter versus generic temp to hire organization. Make sure you highlight why you are perfect, better skills then local people. If you are just a generic resource why would I go to the trouble?

If you go the extra mile and knock on doors more then the average person you will get noticed. Do more then generic research on person and company so you stand out. It is all the little things that will get you noticed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area