Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 PM

12 posts, read 12,167 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My name is Courtney and I'm looking to move to South Carolina from Connecticut. I was hoping to gest some advice as to where I should look. Hopping to be out of Connecticut by spring 2019!!!

A little about my self; I'm 30 years old and I work as a medical secretary. My boyfriend work as a roofing estimator/ wall panels. Looking for a place that we can both easily find jobs and affordable rent. We would love to rent a house if possible but our budget is around $1000. We do have pets, a cat and a parrot. Also I'm looking to go back to school for nursing.

If anyone has suggestions anything would be helpful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 06:29 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Is there a reason you are interested in SC? Have you visited??

There is the western part of the state, near mountains, the flat middle, the east coast.
Which would you prefer...?

Old 05-03-2018, 07:11 PM

We both would like a change of pace and a warmer climate. We would like coastal but are not opposed to mountains either. At first we really were really leaning towards the coast but we've been looking into Greenville as that area looks beautiful. We also have extended family there but are primarily looking for an area that caters towards our jobs (healthcare/construction). Ultimately, we are tired of the North East... we grew up here and it is time for a change. Living here is tough and becoming unaffordable, we want to enjoy the outdoors and travel. We want to find a new place we can call home and a place which we can finally plant our roots.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:19 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
I lived in SC for 3 yrs., in Charleston. Expensive, imo too much crime, busy and traffic snarls but some wonderful opportunities as well. Your jobs might be available as C is still growing as are the small towns more inland.

Greenville is very popular, progressive and growing.....I'll let other SC residents take over but that area might be good for your jobs...

Old 05-04-2018, 04:10 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
The healthcare and construction industries are strong in the Charleston area.
Traffic for me is nothing, but other people who live really far from work and travel during really bad rush hour times will complain. Average commute time in the Charleston area is around 30 minutes.
Where I live crime is one of the lowest in SC:
https://www.homesnacks.net/cities/sa...outh-carolina/

If you have only 36 hours here, this is what you can do....https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...harleston.html

If you like the coast, this is a happening spot. Property near the coast can get expensive, but the values hold up well so you can actually get some good equity by holding property here.

Other great coastal choices are Myrtle Beach and the Hilton Head/Bluffton/Beaufort areas.
The mountains in the upstate are nice as well if you want more of a hilly/mountain experience.

I'd gladly live anywhere in SC if the right career opportunities were there.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:19 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Courtney

Concentrate on the Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston areas.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:45 PM

Thank you all for the advice we really appreciate it. We are going to do some research and possibly ask more questions when they come up.

Thank you!!!

Old 05-06-2018, 07:54 PM

624 posts, read 692,312 times
Definitely a lot of opportunity here for what you want to do. I would absolutely visit for a couple days to check it out. Feel free to reach out to me in PM. I relocated here in 2005 from up North and can provide you some tips.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,447 times
I understand Courtney, I grew up on Long Island and have lived in Nassau county most of my life. I’m older though - just turned 60 and got layed off a few months ago...so - still have to work a few years somehow and unemployment will be running out soon / looking to move to / Bluffton - Myrtle beach - I don’t know. I have a long time high school friend that lives in Charleston suburbs. Am wondering about that too although I’m not rich lol. But, again, as you know - it’s got to be a heck of alot cheaper and less congested down there than where we are!

Old 05-07-2018, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the information. We def plan on visiting in the fall, just trying to narrow down areas to focus on since South Carolina is so much larger than Connecticut. My boyfriend is currently working on networking with people in his field of work in SC. That way we can get an idea of where we need to focus our search. We truly only been to Myrtle many times and loved it. With that being said we know we don't wanna live in Myrtle since it is such a hot spot for vacationers.

GroceryGuySC- I would PM you but I'm new to this site so it might take me a few to figure it out. HAHA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area