U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2018, 02:17 PM
 
6 posts, read 3,195 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

One cop told me that the speed limit in an easement road is 7 miles per hour (Dorchester county). There is no sign or warning at all. The nextdoor neighborhood has speed limit of 25 mph. What does the law say anout easement speed limit? I could not find it.

Also, if there is no sign and you go 20mph, can they give you a ticket because you are going over 7mph speed limit? Plus, if they dont have proof of your exact speed, just theirs eyes and guessing, will that be acceptable?

And how do you feel, if the cop was cutting grass, saw your car passing by his house, then yelled at you that "Hey, you are overspeeding, want a ticket?". I feel he should at least come to my car, politely talk to me because I feel like I am bullied.

One side note, not just me but many others have the same problems with that cop and somebody did throw some nails in front of his driveway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2018, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Meggett, SC
10,944 posts, read 10,088,388 times
Reputation: 6148
Here's the law.

South Carolina Speed Limits

30 mph for unmarked roads that have dwellings.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 06:49 AM
 
624 posts, read 559,100 times
Reputation: 305
Find out which department he is an officer of and file a formal complaint through the appropriate channels. Everybody has a boss.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 08:38 AM
 
1,211 posts, read 852,310 times
Reputation: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Here's the law.

South Carolina Speed Limits

30 mph for unmarked roads that have dwellings.
I think tickets cost a lot more than this

in excess of fifteen miles an hour but less than twenty-five miles an hour above the posted limit by a fine of not less than fifty dollars nor more than seventy-five dollars;
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 09:43 AM
 
646 posts, read 483,298 times
Reputation: 321
I'm confused. When you say "easement road", is it private property? Who owns it and is it in such a condition that 7 mph. is reasonable? I would wonder if any speed limit is enforceable on private property, if that's the case.

Now, his attitude is kind of threatening, and could be reported to his superiors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 07:34 PM
 
6 posts, read 3,195 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
I'm confused. When you say "easement road", is it private property? Who owns it and is it in such a condition that 7 mph. is reasonable? I would wonder if any speed limit is enforceable on private property, if that's the case.

Now, his attitude is kind of threatening, and could be reported to his superiors.
Thank you. I checked the law and could not find the private/easement road that says 7mph so the cop may be wronG?

This is a dirt road but has several dwellings. I dont think 7mph is reasonable either but why did the cop lie? He should know the law better than us if he wants to write a ticket. i would not be surprised if he already received many reports. He never came to me to introduce his name so I dont know how to report. Only i know he is a cop because of a police car parked in his driveway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 06:45 AM
 
3,392 posts, read 3,649,072 times
Reputation: 1623
If he wrote you a ticket, the his information should be on it. If he didn't you can pull the public data (often available on the county's tax website) on who owns the property.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 07:16 AM
 
646 posts, read 483,298 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybabyooh View Post
Thank you. I checked the law and could not find the private/easement road that says 7mph so the cop may be wronG?

This is a dirt road but has several dwellings. I dont think 7mph is reasonable either but why did the cop lie? He should know the law better than us if he wants to write a ticket. i would not be surprised if he already received many reports. He never came to me to introduce his name so I dont know how to report. Only i know he is a cop because of a police car parked in his driveway.
Sounds like he is trying to bully people into slowing down because it bothers him. I really doubt that a speed limit can be enforced here, or that he even has authority to write a ticket on what seems to be private property.

You know his address, and the department he works for (if it's him, and not someone else who lives there) so you can call that dept. to complain if you want to. I think you would ask for someone in Internal Affairs, but I'll check on that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 12:40 PM
 
6 posts, read 3,195 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
If he wrote you a ticket, the his information should be on it. If he didn't you can pull the public data (often available on the county's tax website) on who owns the property.
Thank you, i will try that round.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 12:45 PM
 
6 posts, read 3,195 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
Sounds like he is trying to bully people into slowing down because it bothers him. I really doubt that a speed limit can be enforced here, or that he even has authority to write a ticket on what seems to be private property.

You know his address, and the department he works for (if it's him, and not someone else who lives there) so you can call that dept. to complain if you want to. I think you would ask for someone in Internal Affairs, but I'll check on that.
Thank you, I ve heard many folks got tickets from him (that is why someone did throw some nails in front of his driveway) so he did have authority there. Just want to ask for the law to educate myself first. Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:07 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top