Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 07:11 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
No, a ferry. I can drink and fish on the way to work.
They could turn the Yorktown into a huge ferry to get all of Mt P out at once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 08:14 AM

480 posts, read 504,033 times
2 1/2 hours to get from MtP to North Charleston today. Surprisingly worse than yesterday. Also seems like less police out than yesterday. Drivers are getting VERY aggressive. Hoping for good news later today from the DOT.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:28 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Your population estimate is off by about 140k. And the vast majority of that land area is practically empty rural areas, heck 1/8th~ of the area is the Francis Marion forest,
I pulled the numbers from Wikipedia that mostly use 2015-2016 estimates. I get your statement about rural areas - yet, there are people driving into the "Charleston Metro Area" from all over. Certainly from within these counties. Do they live in Charleston itself? Maybe not. However, they are stuck going down the same bottlenecks as everyone else.

But sure, let's look at just Charleston, SC. As per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charle...South_Carolina : 1152 per square mile. Peanuts. You can't say Charleston, SC is rural. That argument is valid to some extent for Dorchester County or Berkeley County - but not Charleston city proper.

I said 1100, so I guess its 1152 per square mile. Still a long ways off from being a city that should have the congestion we do given the population density. The problems we see here with traffic is due, in part, to poor planning.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:24 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,400 times
Quote:
Not entirely sure what people think could be done to avoid an issue like this. Fact of the matter building more bridges out of Mt. Pleasant isn't very feasible there's just no land available. The only way to avoid something like this in the future is to increase the office space in Mt. P so that fewer people need to commute to DI/farther north
Add another outterbelt. Somewhere north of 41 that goes up near mocks conn down towards summerville and bacm towards the hollywood way

Old 05-16-2018, 10:48 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Add another outterbelt. Somewhere north of 41 that goes up near mocks conn down towards summerville and bacm towards the hollywood way
That is too forward thinking for this area. Why build something like for the future when it would have limited effect on the present?

Instead, why don't we wait until it becomes a necessity, but the land is no longer available to build the outer beltway. Then we can use that as an excuse.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I pulled the numbers from Wikipedia that mostly use 2015-2016 estimates. I get your statement about rural areas - yet, there are people driving into the "Charleston Metro Area" from all over. Certainly from within these counties. Do they live in Charleston itself? Maybe not. However, they are stuck going down the same bottlenecks as everyone else.

But sure, let's look at just Charleston, SC. As per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charle...South_Carolina : 1152 per square mile. Peanuts. You can't say Charleston, SC is rural. That argument is valid to some extent for Dorchester County or Berkeley County - but not Charleston city proper.

I said 1100, so I guess its 1152 per square mile. Still a long ways off from being a city that should have the congestion we do given the population density. The problems we see here with traffic is due, in part, to poor planning.
It will be much better if they dry up all those rivers and marshes and get rid of that ocean. That will help with bottlenecks a lot.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Sorry for sticking my upstate nose in this, but the ports, at least the Wando port, will be opening at 9am and closing at 4, Im told until further notice.
It seems they actually are opening the port earlier 3am to help traffic. However, at 8am there was still a full stream of trucks entering 17 from 526. Not sure if the trucking companies are fully utilizing this early window.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:56 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
That is too forward thinking for this area. Why build something like for the future when it would have limited effect on the present?

Instead, why don't we wait until it becomes a necessity, but the land is no longer available to build the outer beltway. Then we can use that as an excuse.
I personally think its already a need for it. . How many people do you think drive to mrtyle beach thru this area or from Florida way up to myrtle. They can use that road. People in summerville going to mrtyle beach. They can use that road to keep from going down 526 and cause traffic on 17... it will do more good than harm imo

Old 05-16-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
That would take over an hour even without traffic.
Jacksonville has an outer belt that goes way off in the woods and back, but I never took it because I’d need an oil change before I would be able to make it back into town.

Seriously though, in the next 5-10 years I-26 from 526 to downtown is scheduled to be widened.
526 from West Ashley to Rivers (I’d rather they do Rivers to Mt P since that’s where the trucking traffic is)
Clements Ferry to 41.
41 to 17
Billy Swails will be finished
Long point will be extended to Billy Swails and Rifle Range

Average commute times in Charleston metro is only like 25 min or so. Some people have it worse than others but it’s not bad enough in general to throw too much at it without getting far more expensive than it’s worth.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Not entirely sure what people think could be done to avoid an issue like this. Fact of the matter building more bridges out of Mt. Pleasant isn't very feasible there's just no land available.
Expand the infrastructure projects already in place. The Clements Ferry project isn't halfway done and I can tell you it's already undersized for future needs. The 41 project needs to squeeze as much lanes as possible. The brand new 41 bridge, probably undersized for future growth. How many lanes is the Billy Swails expansion? I haven't seen it, but I bet it needs more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area